There should be a "Bug Out Bag" check list Sticky

So I am in the process of creating a "Bug Out Bag" and not sure what I should put in it, I was thinking a Sticky with a check list would be a great start. All it has to be is something very simply the basics, I figure at this point something is better than nothing.

What you need depends on where you're going and how you are getting there. If you don't have a place to "bug out" to then the entire concept is pretty useless. Whatcha' gonna do ? Pitch a tent 50 feet into the woods from a road somewhere and sit there eating MRE's for three days ?

Best plan of action is to determine what you need for your intentions and build your bag around your needs.

I am thinking a 72 hour bag, since I will be doing alot of traveling on the road in my vehicle, I was thinking something to keep in the truck in the event something happens.

I am thinking a 72 hour bag, since I will be doing alot of traveling on the road in my vehicle, I was thinking something to keep in the truck in the event something happens.

Get home bag.

How far do you usually travel away from home?

I'm working on a cambridge-to-zone 8 commuter rail bag to leave at work and copy and put in my truck. Its not easy. But so dependent on what your unique situation is. There is no one way other then common sense.

Highly reccomend spending a few days of your life on edcforums.com

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 4

I don't see much value in a 72hr bag for the city or suburbs. Maybe a FAK in the glovie or a flash light.
A cell phone will get you home in most situation.

#1 item - a plan

The current trend among the zombie apocalypse crowd is to obsess over the contents of their "bug out bag," which, "when SHTF," would allow them to "bug out" to the woods and live off the land while everyone in the city is killed by zombies or Russians. Common items include various weapons, 15 different ways to make a fire and 1200 yards of paracord.

For those of us who aren't 13 year old boys with over active imaginations, a bug out bag accomplishes one of two things:

1) Gets you from a less secure, poorly supplied location in an affected area to a more secured, better supplied location outside the affected area. This primarily applies to those fortunate enough to have the resources to build a "bug out location," generally a second home further away from potential risks/threats, but could be a friend/relative, etc. The key here is to have a location prepared ahead of time, and plan to get there. The contents of the bag addresses what you need to get there, and what you'll need to bring with you that you can't prep ahead of time.

2) The second, and far more common variation of the bug out bag, is a bag of supplies that you keep on hand and grab on your way out the door when the house is on fire. It contains what you need to keep you safe and comfortable while you figure out how to respond to whatever made you leave in such a hurry - think clean underwear and spare contact lenses.

Pick whichever scenario applies to you, write a plan to address the scenario, and then pack accordingly.

I spent a long time putting one together after much reading and thinking and tweaking of it all.

I would throw it in my car on the way to my cabin in Maine , in order to field test different gizmos.

I realized that going to my cabin for just a long weekend meant I wanted to bring other stuff also , so I would pack a second bag. I dubbed it the " camping pack."

After some time I realized that the one that had all the important stuff in it wasn't the bug out bag , but the Camping bag.

The details of items aren't important here , except the lesson of : test your kit. 3 to 5 days outdoors in New England , 10 months of the year - isn't as big a deal as its made out to be. And you probably aren't going to need heirloom seeds , a bag of mesquite charcoal or 3 pairs of boots.

Knowledge is more important than gear. It's nice to have a Garmin with a solar battery charger , 3 compasses and a complete set of maps for the East Coast , but it is more comforting to actually be able to look around and say : " oh , we're in xxxxtown. We can go this way."

If you , like me and so many others find yourself going a little overboard with this whole bug out bag concept try sorting out layers of readiness.

Pistol , knife , flashlight in your pocket.

Little bag for overnight or three. With socks , first aid , instant coffee , spare mags and a Nalgene bottle full of stickers bars ( sarcasm , but you get the idea. )

A backpack that can actually make a light base camp for a refugee or traveller.

A pre packed set of containers to put in your car , trailer , truck for extended leaving.

A place to go , more tricked out than an empty shack in the boonies.
A place to stay ( home ) that has off grid heat , light , and food.

Does anyone here take into account bugging out, or in with a dog(s)?

Everyones needs are different. I do a lot of day hiking and camping and I keep a bag in my car ready to go at all times. Basically I just have a poncho (makes a shelter and rain gear), clothing, sleeping gear, water purification, food, 3 ways to make a fire. Thats really all you need.

Does anyone here take into account bugging out, or in with a dog(s)?

That goes without saying! I keep my dogs food in a smallish metal garbage can with lid (just throw the whole bag in there). I also always have an extra box of biscuits in there. If I had to get out of here fast, I'd just pick up the whole can and bring it with me.

For their water and bedding, I'd share mine.

These small cans are found at feed stores, like Agway.

Where are you going to go to? People think I will just leave? How? The roads will be a parking lot, gas will run out, total shit show. Ok so you go to northern Maine what are u gonna eat past three days? Bug in is key. Get some neighbors, consolidate food and water, share resources that's the key. If shit goes south then you have a group of well armed people to move with instead of being the one guy with a family. Also share a house that is easy to defend and has a fireplace to cook in and boil water. That's just me

My first bug bag was a monster. I put everything but a kitchen sink in it. Impractical and heavy. I am now of the mindset of a 72 hour bag.

"Where ya gonna go ? "

If the ,gov says " Go." - then I think I am going to stay. As mentioned earlier , above , the roads will be useless. No one is leaving the Cape. No one is getting it of Boston. 95 & 93 North will be parking lots.

Having had many drinks while sorting this out with my elite crew of tacticool operators we have decided that one either leaves early or late - if they do indeed leave at all.

Freezing to death. Dehydrating to death. Death by violence. Illness. Starvation. - that's pretty much the order of suck I see coming if the lights go out.

So I have woodstoves with fuel , water filters , firearms , medicine/hygiene and food saved up. Not enough of any of them , because it never is. ( how many of us thought we had plenty of ammo on hand before the Retardation ? ).

My Zombie planning and whiskey drinking crew total 5 small nuclear families , all in fairly close proximity. All more or less stocked with good stuff ( again , closer to " less " , but we're working on it. )

If we pile into one home , with all our pack rat crap , we can eat for a long time , and have enough bodies for 24 hour security.

My town is a coastal peninsula , crowded with Democrats , cubicle workers and a large percentage of the kind of people who are more "manager" than "doer ". - frankly I am more worried about them reorganizing and informing the populace that we are going to pool our resources and work together for the greater good - than I am of the roaming hordes of paramilitary pirates sweeping through suburbia after the apocalypse.

"Where ya gonna go ? "

If the ,gov says " Go." - then I think I am going to stay. As mentioned earlier , above , the roads will be useless. No one is leaving the Cape. No one is getting it of Boston. 95 & 93 North will be parking lots.

Having had many drinks while sorting this out with my elite crew of tacticool operators we have decided that one either leaves early or late - if they do indeed leave at all.

Freezing to death. Dehydrating to death. Death by violence. Illness. Starvation. - that's pretty much the order of suck I see coming if the lights go out.

So I have woodstoves with fuel , water filters , firearms , medicine/hygiene and food saved up. Not enough of any of them , because it never is. ( how many of us thought we had plenty of ammo on hand before the Retardation ? ).

My Zombie planning and whiskey drinking crew total 5 small nuclear families , all in fairly close proximity. All more or less stocked with good stuff ( again , closer to " less " , but we're working on it. )

If we pile into one home , with all our pack rat crap , we can eat for a long time , and have enough bodies for 24 hour security.

My town is a coastal peninsula , crowded with Democrats , cubicle workers and a large percentage of the kind of people who are more "manager" than "doer ". - frankly I am more worried about them reorganizing and informing the populace that we are going to pool our resources and work together for the greater good - than I am of the roaming hordes of paramilitary pirates sweeping through suburbia after the apocalypse.

That part is true in nearly every single town in America. It has nothing to do with Ds or Rs.

It's have and have nots. Anyone who forces a suggestion the town pools resources should be executed immediately if you plan on surviving. Otherwise they will organize and attack you when they get hungry.

Most people have no idea what real huger is like. Try just drinking water for 48 hours. Most people have never gone 24 hours without food. 3-5 days of starvation is going to make them desperate real quick.

Since you're in the coast I'm assuming you're all stockpiling fishing gear and know how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom