The U.S. Postal Service Took Away the Doughboy's Rifle

Can anyone confirm this is a re-issue stamp that has been doctored or is this just someone waxing poetic about gun culture and trying to stir the pot?

Screw it just keep putting out the bland for ever stamps please.

Only when the security and freedom is defended by civilians will the “importance of a armed populace “ be seen.
Stay strong to your beliefs of the constitution and keep your arms ready

Can anyone confirm this is a re-issue stamp that has been doctored or is this just someone waxing poetic about gun culture and trying to stir the pot?

There are some truths and some inaccuracies with this guy's article. First off, he just wrote this in April 2019. This stamp was first issued July last year. It is not new, nor was it ever formally published as a stamp with the doughboy holding a rifle. The original artist admits to submitting a version with a rifle to USPS, but the USPS opted with the flag for the final design. They never released a stamp with the rifle as far as I can tell.

That, in my mind, it far better than deleting the rifle in a later re-issue. You can see several articles on release day of this stamp where it was always with a flag. They also honored vets during the unveiling, so good on them for that. Here is the stamp in the USPS store.

World War I: Turning the Tide | USPS.com

"The designers realized that with all of the detail in the initial sketches, it wasn't immediately clear that we were honoring the American contribution to World War I."

It is a U.S. Postal stamp! [angry]

There are some truths and some inaccuracies with this guy's article. First off, he just wrote this in April 2019. This stamp was first issued July last year. It is not new, nor was it ever formally published as a stamp with the doughboy holding a rifle. The original artist admits to submitting a version with a rifle to USPS, but the USPS opted with the flag for the final design. They never released a stamp with the rifle as far as I can tell.

That, in my mind, it far better than deleting the rifle in a later re-issue. You can see several articles on release day of this stamp where it was always with a flag. They also honored vets during the unveiling, so good on them for that. Here is the stamp in the USPS store.

Roger. Pot stiring - just what I thought.

/thread

Roger. Pot stiring - just what I thought.

/thread

Well, the artist originally had a rifle there, and USPS leadership wanted it gone, in place of a flag. It’s not as bad as them doctoring an old image for a re-release, but it’s still bad. I don’t buy for one moment that it was to make sure people knew the doughboy was American.

Would love to see a stamp of a dough boy with a trench shotgun with bayonet!

Chesty Puller said when he was shown a flame thrower for the first time, he turned the hand held tip over and around and said, "Where does the bayonet go?"

Good night Chesty, where ever you are.

If more than 3 of us boycott the USPS, they will probably go bankrupt, they have been on the brink for years.

That will never happen. As always, they'll get a multi billion dollar bail out from Uncle Sam (us). USPS is always proud of stating they aren't government funded, yet we have bailed them out so many times over the years.

Doesn't make the list of things worth getting worked up over. Maybe if there weren't so many things to get worked over I could find a spot for it.

i smell a usps boycott coming on. i must be open and transparent....i mailed a letter 20 minutes ago. [angry]

Ok, but even with the errata out of the way, you look at the picture, it doesn't really make sense, unless they were marching in formation or something and this was the guy supposed to be holding the flag, and even then, he wouldn't be holding it like that, so its a big WAT? And if you take the flag out of his hands, the posture is clearly such that.... it's kinda obvious there is supposed to be a rifle there instead. So someone told the artist "no" or "make it a flag instead of a rifle' etc.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom