• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Survival Doctor Site

I've been posting on another thread and it was suggested i start my own. I'm a family practice doctor interested in providing medical information for people to use when no health expert is available, such as disasters. I love questions, comments, critiques on my website posts/forums.

My latest 2 posts/videos are on eye problems. One is on making a pair of glasses out of duct tape that really work if you lose/damage your pair and can't get to a spare.

The second is on how to get something out of your eye even if you can't see what's in it.

www.TheSurvivalDoctor.com

I've ducked into your site a couple of times after you started posting here.

Its very informative, I'm looking forward to more.

ETA: I've clicked on several of the "Continue reading" links on some of your earlier posts and I get some kind of a "share page" but not the rest of the article. What am I doing wrong, or is your site buggy ?

Last edited:
Yes a chart with height weight and dosages for antibiotics in mg and amount of days would be great. Also informing people about sources for antibiotics like fishmox and other fish antibiotics and farm store medicines.

Question: how inclined would a doctor be to give you a subscription for several months of medication so you would have a reserve supply in case SHTF. Is there any law against this.

Yes a chart with height weight and dosages for antibiotics in mg and amount of days would be great. Also informing people about sources for antibiotics like fishmox and other fish antibiotics and farm store medicines.

Question: how inclined would a doctor be to give you a subscription for several months of medication so you would have a reserve supply in case SHTF. Is there any law against this.

Dosing for antibiotics isn't really based on height - moreso weight. As for doctors prescribing you excess medication without an actual medical issue being treated, that is generally illegal and unethical, and it doesn't help the growing problems with antibiotic resistance at all.

I could have sworn I replied to Tater's post. Oh, well. Anyway, I agree velinueve. I think most licensing boards would frown on a doctor regularly prescription a boatload of antibiotics for one person. I, also, doubt a pharmacy would fill it. There is a great worry about antibiotics being used too often on things like viral infections. That contributes to antibiotic resistance. The antibiotic doesn't affect the virus, but kills off all but the ones resistant to it. Those resistant bacteria are, then, free to multiply without competition.

Tater, I know your point was to have antibiotics on hand in case of an emergency. I was just explaining why you probably couldn't get a bunch prescribed to you. Also, I would never suggest taking less of them, or for less time than subscribed. That leads to resistance also. However, you might talk your doc into giving you a prescription with a refill. You, then, store the refill. If you get sick, go to the doctor, if he/she agrees that type of antibiotic is acceptable for your infection, get a prescription, use the stored ones, and store the fresh ones. Whew.

Stay hydrated it helps to prevent heat related injuries, room temp water hydrates quicker than cold water, a pinch of salt in that will will help you body absorb it more quickly

First let me say thank you Dr. Hubbard for taking the time to post and help.
I have a few questions,,. ;-)

Have you had to do surgery in the wild before?
Have you studied holistic mrdicin or herbology?
I can't speak for others but I am past basic first aid, what about amputations, stroke, heart attacks in the wild? I was under the impression a Dr. would be needed not a person playing Dr at this point.
Thank you sir.

jmjkd. No I've never done surgery in the wild. I doubt if many doctors have. Instead, the doc would stabilize them until they transfer to a facility. Strokes? Heart attack? I'll get to those, but there's not much you can do other than stabilize them also and hope they recuperate. Amputations? I'm not sure what you're getting at. You say you're way past first aid, but wouldn't want a person playing Dr.? I agree. Anything I write about is if there's no way you can get medical help better than what's right there before you. Or what to do until you can transfer the patient.

jmjkd. No I've never done surgery in the wild. I doubt if many doctors have. Instead, the doc would stabilize them until they transfer to a facility. Strokes? Heart attack? I'll get to those, but there's not much you can do other than stabilize them also and hope they recuperate. Amputations? I'm not sure what you're getting at. You say you're way past first aid, but wouldn't want a person playing Dr.? I agree. Anything I write about is if there's no way you can get medical help better than what's right there before you. Or what to do until you can transfer the patient.

Thanks DR. That is what I thought..
Regarding amputations? what I mean is, it's common in the wild to see chain saw, ax and blade related injuries and missing toes, fingers, even limbs that's a bit more. It's these types of things that get sketchy to the best procedure. Wait for help/ move them?

Dr, do you spend much time camping, hiking or bushcraft? That’s where most of my questions are coming from.
Thank you.

It's not really common to see those kinds of injuries in the wild - and frankly if you are seeing them then you're simply proving Mr. Darwin's point.

If you do happen to cut part of yourself off, friggin stop the bleeding and get to a hospital.

Back
Top Bottom