The story of my new Russian friends

84ta406

NES Member
Well Growing up my dad always had firearms, so naturally I was always around them. Two of his favorite rifles were his Mosin and his SKS. Last June(2014) my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he was in the hospital for care and in a facility where he could get 24/7 treatment. My father had me constantly checking up on my brother who was still bumming it at his house. One day I decided to check on his rifles in the safe, my brother having his LTC had access to them as well. Well to my surprise his SKS was gone, nothing else missing but the SKS, not even the 100 stripper clips full of ammo. Now dont get me wrong it wasnt a rare rifle or anything, being a preban Norinco, but it still wasnt his to touch. I soon found out he had traded it into a LGS for a measly $125, by the time I was able to get the info from him the rifle was already sold. To which I ended up pummeling my brother one day but thats another story.

After giving the news to my father he was heart broken, never imagined one of his kids would do that to him, especially while he was laid up on a bed fighting for his life. My father passed away on 3/24/15, leaving all his firearms, ammo, cabinets, hunting gear, everything to me. I have my own firearms and been collecting my own stuff but every time I would browse something would draw me back to the SKS. It was that elusive unicorn I just needed to have. Well with the recent influx of Yugos, I decided now is a good a time as any to "complete" the collection. Purchased it through Classic Firearms, and had it transferred by Waynes Weaponry to me. I was giddy as a little school girl when it came in.

Well thats enough banter, here are my beautiful rifles. The first picture is the cosmoline covered Yugo and then a cleaned up picture. The Mosin is a 1986 M91.

Attachments

• 20151124_180542.jpg
    20151124_180542.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20151124_204448.jpg
    20151124_204448.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20150826_181405.jpg
    20150826_181405.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20150826_181259.jpg
    20150826_181259.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150826_181349.jpg
    20150826_181349.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 81
I am so sorry your brother did that to you. I'm also glad you figured it out before he sold off the Nagant as well. The Yugo sks is a very high quality rifle and you will not be disappointed. Enjoy and shoot a few rounds in your dad's honor.

She shoots beautifully. Ive only had it out once at my buddys place in NH but the recoil didnt seem nearly as much as my .308 bolt gun. Was hitting soda cans at about 100 yards with ease using some spam can ammo. My father did have these stashed away though. Havent used any yet as I cant find replacements.

Attachments

• 20151129_114209.jpg
    20151129_114209.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 59
Those are two fantastic looking rifles! Very nice, older Mosin.

Also that SKS looks great. Very tempting...

Congrats on the new rifles. Nothing better than lining up those sights, feeling the recoil, and watching the target react. And I know you are not taliking about the Mosin when you describe light recoil.

Sorry for your loss, lost my dad to cancer also.
The thing with your brother sucks, my dad would smash my face in if I stole anything from him. Actually I think he would brake a finger or 2. Glad to see you did it for him.
Nice to see you found something to replace it with.
That ammo is some good stuff. That was expensive back in the day. Don't waste it. Use that for some nice focused shooting and see how well the Hugo shoots. Only other ammo I ever shot in x39 that was close to the accuracy of the Norma and lapua stuff is the yugo milsurp brass cased corrosive stuff.

Congrats on the new rifles. Nothing better than lining up those sights, feeling the recoil, and watching the target react. And I know you are not taliking about the Mosin when you describe light recoil.

It really seemed pretty mild after shooting my .308 the weekend before. Being only 40" total length on the .308 maybe its just harsh compared to the 54" on the Mosin. I did 80 round in that sitting and my shoulder had no ill affects.

Sorry for your loss, lost my dad to cancer also.
The thing with your brother sucks, my dad would smash my face in if I stole anything from him. Actually I think he would brake a finger or 2. Glad to see you did it for him.
Nice to see you found something to replace it with.
That ammo is some good stuff. That was expensive back in the day. Don't waste it. Use that for some nice focused shooting and see how well the Hugo shoots. Only other ammo I ever shot in x39 that was close to the accuracy of the Norma and lapua stuff is the yugo milsurp brass cased corrosive stuff.

According to the old sticker it was 16.60 back in the day, the tag on the boxes say 1992. I doubt this old Mosin will be accurate enough to even take advantage of the Norma ammo. Ive heard the Yugo stuff is good but Im trying to stay away from the corrosive stuff.

Very true, Russian descent atleast. The Mosin is a 1896 Tula which is Russian though correct? I have to say the fit and finish of this Yugo sks is second to none especially for the age.

Yes, the M91 was built and served Imperial Russia. Likely went to Finland in the 1920's from France, Germany, Austria, or other country. Russia lost a crap-ton of guns in WWI.

Sorry about your father.
Sorry about your brother, he's an ahole.

The rifles are beautiful; enjoy them in the memory of your father.

Back
Top Bottom