• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Sound of Shooting in the Distance...

MaverickNH

NES Member
... while I'm sitting on the back porch deck sipping some red wine, writing this post. It's coming from the woods between me and St Anselm College, in Goffstown, NH. Heard it this weekend too. Kind of relaxing...

Might not go over well when the candidates are at the NH Institute of Political Science having their debates next primary season. The Secret Service patrols the fields behind my house in ATVs when that's happening. From my roof, I could probably hit NHIOPS with my Rem 700 .308, but that would be a lucky shot. I'd need a 50BMG for sure.

I'll have to find out who is shooting where and join in. That 10min drive to MFL is way too long.[smile]

I am close enough to Pelham F&G to know when it is 9 AM on Sunday.

I don't have a problem with the sound at all

I hear it practically every weekend from the Devens gard practicing on the south post.

I run into bus load of young troops while getting gas never knowing where they are heading...some come back, and I suppose (I know), some don't.

It put things into perspective for me...bus loads of kids.

and I pray.

Do you know of any ranges in the general area of Goffstown, north of PFF&G? Google Maps and Bing will often reveal "unpublished" shooting ranges, especially if they're set up for any of the standard distances (e.g. 100 yards/meters).

Once you get north of Amherst, gunfire on weekend mornings is common -- Sunday at around 10 AM it starts to sound like making popcorn.

I hear shooting most days of the week and some evenings. I live about two miles down range from Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association. Amazing how sound can travel. I've never heard a single person complain about it. We have three active gun clubs in town. Not bad for the PRM.

My parents live 5-6 miles as the crow flies across marsh and islands from Parris Island. When visiting I can often go outside early some morning and you can hear the recruits doing rifle practice. It's real hushed in the distance, but it sounds like an invasion...

... while I'm sitting on the back porch deck sipping some red wine, writing this post. It's coming from the woods between me and St Anselm College, in Goffstown, NH. Heard it this weekend too. Kind of relaxing...

Might not go over well when the candidates are at the NH Institute of Political Science having their debates next primary season. The Secret Service patrols the fields behind my house in ATVs when that's happening. From my roof, I could probably hit NHIOPS with my Rem 700 .308, but that would be a lucky shot. I'd need a 50BMG for sure.

I'll have to find out who is shooting where and join in. That 10min drive to MFL is way too long.[smile]

I live in goffstown...I hope it wasn't me :)

sent from tapatalk mobile app

I can hear Nashua F&G from work. Kills me when I hear people shooting during the day and I can't join in.
I live about a mile from the Pinnacle Mountain Club in Lyndeborough, and can hear them quite clearly through the woods.

Although, I hear quite a bit from my neighbors as well as they hear a fair bit from me.

Sweet, sweet sounds to me.

I used to live about 20 miles from Camp Lejeune, right on the water. Sometimes you could FEEL shockwaves coming through the air, but you couldn't actually HEAR anything. I believe this was from artillery practice.

wife and i went halfs with another couple on a CSA farm share in dartmouth... usually one from the other couple picks it up and we split it... i had to go get it last week, and you could hear shots from the new bedford public range... guy walks into the barn... "i hear gunshots, here them pretty often when i come here too...."
i said "it's a great thing isn't it? :)"
he looked at me questioningly....

told him there's a public shooting range around the corner.... he didn't say anything else...

Back
Top Bottom