The revised definition of Large Capacity Feeding Device, Sections: 131M and 121

If this proposed legislations is enacted into law, I would hope that a serious and sustained effort is made to challenge it on Constitutional grounds . . . . It appears to me that such sweeping action is unconstitutional on several grounds . . . .

There's lot of debating here, but seriously: who amongst you are thinking of getting rid of your standard capacity magazines?

Do not comply.

You got that right. I'm keeping what I have. Will keep with the ten rounders at the range to keep my ass out of jail. But if the SHTF then I'm gonna use my hi-caps....

How would anyone know if you have 10 in the mag anyway? Can the police legally make you turn over your magazine for inspection at a routine traffic stop or otherwise? Wouldnt that be unreasonable search and seizure?

Well, in the post I put on a couple pages back, the section (ii) CLEARLY states not magazines are allowed for sale, transfer or possession if over ten rounds. Then, in section (iii), it states any ten round mag can only have 7 in it. I am a dealer in both VT and MA, and have been in conversation with many fellow MA dealers, and one very large MA distributor. All of us, so far, agree that the way the law is written is to allow 10 round mags to continue to be sold, as (ii) has no reference to any time period or date, unlike the beginning of the section which clearly states pre 13 Sept. 1994 for "assault weapons", and thus ten rounders SHOULD be legal to sell, but not USE with ten rounds. Of course, I am no lawyer, and am only passing along the info that several dealers and distributors have intyerpretted.

Only if it has a pistol grip.

Incorrect. A "Large Capacity Feeding Device" as currently defined in the law includes no such exception.

MGL Chapter 140 Section 121 said:
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Send emails and letters to your state senator and/or congressman. Attach copies of the state and federal constitution. It is quite likely that they don't have copies of said documents.

Ater reading the law part about being reddily restored as reguardng high cap mags. Does this mean you can reduce the capacity of existing mags to 10 and retain them for use , but only load 7? I have a S&W 669 pistol and all my mags are 12 rd capacity. If so how do you do it?

Something else just occurred to me. What about firearms that are no longer produced? I don't see anyone rushing to produce 7 round Sig P225/P6 mags if this passes and the regular mags aren't very common as it is. That law will turn a huge number of handguns into nothing more than clubs, and that prick knows it.

Those are 8 round magazines. You could keep them and just chamber the 8th round and be ok. It basically means fewer people will keep an empty chamber, and most new pistols will be 45 Auto.

Ater reading the law part about being reddily restored as reguardng high cap mags. Does this mean you can reduce the capacity of existing mags to 10 and retain them for use , but only load 7? I have a S&W 669 pistol and all my mags are 12 rd capacity. If so how do you do it?

Any mags over 10 round capacity would need to be sold out of the state or destroyed and you would have one year to comply.

Any mags over 10 round capacity would need to be sold out of the state or destroyed and you would have one year to comply.

So effectively this means that after one year all pistols for which no 7 round mags exist are illegal to use. That means almost all Glocks, M&P's, S&W 1911's, Sigs, etc.

ETA: Sorry, I misread the original quote... thought it said "over 7 round capacity." But still, even at 10 rounds it would eliminate many guns.

For those who wish to obey said law, and want to try and recoup some of the cash invested in said firearms, how are we supposed to sell them? Have to take them all to your local FFL so they can try to transfer them out of state?

There's no way the FFL's in Mass. could handle such volume in a year, and even if they could, they wouldn't be able to find enough buyers unless they offered them at ridiculously low prices, which means essentially we'd all lose thousands of dollars due to this legislation.

I would enter that as a capital loss on my tax form. Government forces me to relinquish my firearms for 20% of their worth.

This is a nightmare.

Last edited:
I hope (expect) that a lot of the over the top proposals represent a perverse negotiating strategy. In other words, the libs will agree to grandfather the high capacity pre-ban mags in return for our giving ground on enhanced background checks and a ban on future sales of high caps.

I hope (expect) that a lot of the over the top proposals represent a perverse negotiating strategy.

Nope. It passed as written in NY and it will most likely pass here just as easily. If we're lucky none of Linsky's shit will make it to the MGLs but even that's going to be a fight.

The question is "what are we going to do about it."

They already have all that. We can't let this be approved. Write hour reps on paper now! Stop sitting on the sidelines and make your voice heard or this will happen. Put your letters in the mail every week if need be.

I hope (expect) that a lot of the over the top proposals represent a perverse negotiating strategy. In other words, the libs will agree to grandfather the high capacity pre-ban mags in return for our giving ground on enhanced background checks and a ban on future sales of high caps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sorry if im being stupid but does this actually effect standard cap mags in mass (30rnd etc)? All "hi caps" have to be pre 94 anyway....

I also like, "The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement." So retired cops can have what ever they want?

"No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess (i) an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994"

so how does that ban 30rnd mags?

"No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess (i) an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994"

keep reading champ....

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date. Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapons.

First, that quote is inaccurate...

Devil Patrick's Bill said:
SECTION 22. Section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 2, the words ”or a large capacity feeding device”.

...so if the bill is passed, the statute will read as...

MGL 140-131M said:
No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess: (i) an assault weapon that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; or (ii) a large capacity feeding device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; or (iii) a large capacity feeding device that such person lawfully possessed before the effective date of this act that has a capacity of, or that can readily be restored or converted to accept, more than seven but no more than ten rounds of ammunition, where such device contains more than seven rounds of ammunition.

..and secondly...

Devil Patrick's Bill said:
SECTION 25. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date. Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapons.

http://www.mass.gov/governor/legisl...-to-strengthen-and-enhance-firearms-laws.html

God I hope so; but what scares the crap out of me is NY passed similar legislation. MA gun grabbers is just as bad in NY..

keep reading champ....

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act[/B] must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapons.

that sounds like you can permanently modify your 20 rounders to 10 or 7 and be fine as long as they cannot be "readily restored" to hold more than 10 rounds. IMO

Just sent e-mails to Representative Betty Poirier and Senator Richard Ross. Has anyone heard from their offices on these issues?

Back
Top Bottom