The natural consequences of gun registration

They know where they are, and by consequence how to take them.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/09/23/11066131-sun.html

They used to be legal firearms, but now they're either unregistered or outright banned, and they're wanted by police before there's a chance burglars put them in Toronto's underground and underworld markets.

Since March 1, Project Safe City swept 400 unregistered weapons -- 150 of them handguns -- from homes throughout the city. No charges were filed.

It's part of a plan to ensure that neglected firearms don't fall into criminal hands, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said yesterday.

Police are reviewing thousands of gun ownership files to determine which weapons have lapsed registrations and which are now banned, he said.

Owners can surrender the weapons for destruction or, if they can be registered, police will hold them until the owners comply with gun laws, Supt. Greg Getty said.

"We cannot leave those firearms in that person's possession," he said.

Those who "are less vigilant in maintaining proper licensing ... may be equally lax in maintaining the safety and security of their weapons," Blair said.

"Now that there are 400 fewer guns that can be stolen and put into the hands of criminals, I think we've created a safer situation," he said. "This is very much an anti-violence measure."

Of the 510 crime-related firearms seized so far this year, about 30% are stolen locally, with the rest smuggled into the country, he said.

"What we believe is that legal handgun owners are not dangerous individuals, but we know from experience that their firearms can become extremely dangerous when they get into the hands of criminals," Blair said.

"One of the issues that we have become aware of is the confusion among legal gun owners regarding their responsibility" that the weapons they own are properly licensed and maintain registration, he said.

Project Safe City is proactive policing, Getty said.

"This is not an enforcement initiative, this is a crime-prevention initiative," he said. "We have a responsibility to ensure that these firearms are not diverted to the streets of Toronto."

---

GUN FACTS

TORONTO GUN STATISTICS FOR 2009

- Shootings to date: 259

- Persons shot: 135

- Murders: 23

- Seized: 1,576

- Number used in the commission of a crime: 510

- Seized in Project Safe City: 400

n Between Jan. 1 and the end of June, 27 firearms were stolen in 11 thefts, 10 from homes and one from a business. Of those firearms stolen, 16 were handguns, two rifles, three shotguns, three air rifles, two flare or paintball pistols and one replica.

-- Toronto Police

"Now that there are 400 fewer guns that can be stolen and put into the hands of criminals, I think we've created a safer situation," he said. "This is very much an anti-violence measure."[/url]

How many guns are in Toronto? Is 400 like .1% or what? I mean, if they just took 30% of the guns out of Toronto I could maybe buy that there will be an impact, but I suspect that 400 guns one way or another is essentially a drop of water in the ocean.

In Between Jan. 1 and the end of June, 27 firearms were stolen in 11 thefts, 10 from homes and one from a business. Of those firearms stolen, 16 were handguns, two rifles, three shotguns, three air rifles, two flare or paintball pistols,one replica, 80 nudie magazines, three swiss army knives, one pair of pink furry handcuffs, and a bologna sammich.

Did they have to list air rifles, paintball guns, flares, and replicas? I mean really?

Those who "are less vigilant in maintaining proper licensing ... may be equally lax in maintaining the safety and security of their weapons," Blair said.

Yes because I don't feel as a law abiding citizen that I should have to be licensed and register my weapons I must be a danger to society.[rolleyes]

The Canadian gun laws are crazy. I stumbled accross a gun stores site that operates in Canada the other day and they have all of these classifications for guns like banned, restricted, unrestricted, etc..... and for each one you need a different license.

Isn't it obvious?

If you don't have the right papers, they steal your property and leave you defenseless. And all the while lying to the public that it is for 'safety'.

Of course, you won't be arrested or get any kind of official documentation regarding the theft because then you would have reason to seek justice in court where the whole house of cards will crumble. Just look at the illegal seizures after hurricane Katrina in this country. Not one of those criminals were ever charged and virtually every stolen piece of property ended up 'missing' or destroyed.

It isn't a matter of 'if' it will happen here, it IS happening here. But because it's just guns the entire matter is being ignored.

Ask anyone what they think about the illegal firearm seizures after hurricane Katrina and virtually everyone you ask will hardly know anything about it.

Yet, if police in a gang run city decided to confiscate the gold chains from gangs under the assumption that they entice violence, you can be sure the ACLU and every media outlet world wide would be crucifying the police for stealing property from such "good boys".

Back
Top Bottom