The "Much older man."

SA John

Banned
Had to laugh when I read Sydney's description of the "much older man" shooting the cowboy gun at Mass Rifle. I'm that old bastard. A pal called me after reading the account and suggested I write in. So I registered today. This is the first forum I've ever actually participated in. I read many other gun forums, but after being mentioned on this one, and being from Essex County, I figured what the heck. One thing, Sydney, the gun was a New Vaquero, not a Colt SAA. Not a big deal, but I know people who'd beat you up for making that mistake. Maybe drag you into a dry gulch, continue the lesson.

The guys at Mass Rifle have a sense of humor. They let me shoot the single-action at their plate shoot. We all had a laugh. I don't think I'll do it again. Once in cute, twice gets to be a drag watching the "older man" fumble with his fat bullets. Next time I'll just shoot the 1911. Thanks to all at Mass Rifle, especially Whitey and Rich. Now if I can just find that young punk Sydney.

Only kidding, Syd

SA John

John,

Glad you came out to shoot with us. We have been having a lot of new faces at the matches this spring which is great. I keeps the sport alive! I think you are a hell of a shot with your SA. I don't think you missed once. Pretty quick reloading it too with those home made "speed tubes."

For what its worth... I didnt think you were, um, older [wink]

Hope to see you back for another match. You should really bring your lever gun for the next bowling pin with rifle match! One of the guys always brings his.

It was a pleasure to have you shoot at MRA SA John. I personally enjoyed watching your skilled shooting of a gun that we typically do not see at this type of match. Great technique also.
Hope to see you again.
Rich

I'm 51, look like I'm 60, and move like a 75-year-old man with a bad back.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

John

Looking one's age

I'm 51, look like I'm 60, and move like a 75-year-old man with a bad back.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

John

I didn't start "looking my age" until I hit about 43. And its been a toboggan ride downhill ever since. (I was actually carded in North Adams, buying beer, when I was 40. I'll never forget it ... it was easter weekend.)

Shortly thereafter I had the shock of my life. I took a job with a former employer near NYC. I put the house in Massachusetts up for sale, and lived in a motel for some weeks until I could get the wife and kids moved down. The bathroom had mirrored walls .... do you see where I'm going with this?

The first day I stepped out of the shower I saw myself from at least three, and possibly five, angles. OUCH!

My first thought? OMG! [shocked] So this is what the wife sees every day! No wonder ....

My first act? Turn off the light!

On a more serious note; my students (aged 5 to 11) often try to guess my age. The numbers run from 20 to 80. The younger ones really have difficulty with the concept of age.

So, one kid, I think a first grader, says "My Dad's 62 .... AND HE'S STILL ALIVE!"

Made my day. [grin]

Still, I hesitate to show up at an NES shoot because I'll be instantly recognized as a) the dope who needs some shootin' lessons, and b) some old guy.

I can't shoot anyway until I get this bursitis thing resolved ... [sad2]

Happy B-Day Gary!

Naaa I try not to poke fun at the "older" guys (when you're not around). [wink] I'm going to be there sooner than later. Besides- if I can move at 50 or 60 like some of the guys I have been shooting with over the last several years I'll be very happy.

One of the younger guys that has been shooting with us for the past year or so is 21. At the Harvard match we came up to stage 3 and I said "awesome a run-n-gun stage. These are my favorite."

With out batting an eyelash he came back with "do you want me to get you a wheel chair and push you down the stage?"[shocked] -Smart ass!

I told him I'll push him around in a baby carrage and that he can't make fun of me until he can keep up with me.

Last edited:
Happy B-Day Gary!

Naaa I try not to poke fun at the "older" guys (when you're not around). [wink] I'm going to be there sooner than later. Besides- if I can move at 50 or 60 like some of the guys I have been shooting with over the last several years I'll be very happy.

One of the younger guys that has been shooting with us for the past year or so is 21. At the Harvard match we came up to stage 3 and I said "awesome a run-n-gun stage. These are my favorite."

With out batting an eyelash he came back with "do you want me to get you a wheel chair and push you down the stage?"[shocked] -Smart ass!

I told him I'll push him around in a baby carrage and that he can't make fun of me until he can keep up with me.

Age, treachery and deceit will overcome youth every time [smile]

You poke the old bears too much, you may never get to be one. Thanks to you and Paul for the well wishes. My son turns 21 tomorrow wish he would start shooting again, it would be fun.

See you guys somewhere if the gas prices get any better. ($780 last month)

Gas

Age, treachery and deceit will overcome youth every time [smile]

You poke the old bears too much, you may never get to be one. Thanks to you and Paul for the well wishes. My son turns 21 tomorrow wish he would start shooting again, it would be fun.

See you guys somewhere if the gas prices get any better. ($780 last month)

Ouch! $780?!?!? How do you pump the gas with both hands up?

Back
Top Bottom