• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

the M1 was almost a 6.5 creedmoor

Looks like it would have grown the 8-round en bloc to a 10-rounder. A 25% increase. Not too shabby.
Would want...

And it was GEN MacArthur who nixed the move to .276 and demanded that the Garand be produced in the military standard .30 caliber.

And it was GEN MacArthur who nixed the move to .276 and demanded that the Garand be produced in the military standard .30 caliber.
more like Gen. MacArthur bosses....they had billions of rounds of 30-06 left over from WWI so why not just keep going.
Same deal when the US Military decided to use the tonage of powder they had in surplus with the new M193 round causing many issues in the early days.
Government reminds me of customers who bring thier own parts that are wrong and ask us to make them fit/work
Mr. Garand you showed us a great rifle, love it. That ammo shows some real promise. Now go make it in 30-06 cause we aint paying for a new cartridge. Chief of staff MacArthur tell them how its goin g to be.

Last edited:
So an M1A in 6.5 ManBun isn't that much of an anomaly? Yeah Bruh!!!

Now where did I put my beard grooming kit and tactical lumberjack clothes?

Yes, it was the slight matter of several billion rounds in inventory, and commonality with other infantry weapons.

Fortunately Garland was able to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom