The day started great with alot of shooting then the dog.got hit by a car

The day was wonderful went with a few friends to some property in ME and spent most of the day shooting. Had a blast, shot a wide variety of guns.

Went home and was planning on heading out with the family to do some shopping. Was hanging around outside with my buddy and my 5 year old. Let the dog inside. Told my son to pick up some of his toys on the porch and come in to get ready to head out. In the process of him bringing his toys in he left the door open then the dog got out.

My dog is super high energy. I Let her off leash in the woods but when she is off leash she likes to run at full speed. She is 1 of the fastest dogs around. We don't ever let her out off leash at our house since we live in a pretty populated area. Well as I went outside to call her back I heard tires squeel, a loud thud and then some loud constant yelping. I ran over to the street in front of the house behind us and found her laying there her tongue hanging out the side of her mouth,skin on her rear leg peeled off and a pool of blood. The gentlemen who hit her stayed and was very upset and apologetic. Telling me she just ran out in front of him so fast and he tried to stop. I don't blame him for this as I dont feel he was doing anything wrong and he clearly tried to stop and then did not drive off. I do feel it is my responsibility to keep my dog leashed or fenced in because she is so high energy.

I asked him to stay with her while I ran home to get the car (I did not want to pick her up and walk with her and possibly cause more damage to anything. I ran home to get the car and on my way back over I was just about to turn up the street and she jogged past me heading home. She made it into the house where she was avoiding my buddy, my wife, and me once I got back. As she was avoiding us she tracked blood all over the house onto our bed (where we had a pile of freshly cleaned laundry about to be folded)

While I was trying to get her and wrap her in a blanket my buddy found a vet a few towns over that is 24 hours.

We rushed her to the vet and she is in rough shape but stable. She will be going into surgery any minute.

I never realized how much I love that dog until now. We have had her about 4.5 years. The last 2 years (I was an over the road truck driver) she lived on the road with me just her and I 24-7. Over the last few months since I have gone local she has been home with the family. Her and my son have gotten closer than they already were. Even just sitting here in the house it seems so quiet without her wanting me to pet her or not having to yell at her for chasing the cat around the house (one of her favorite games). I really hope she pulls thru this. It just wouldn't be the same without her. Everyone out there be careful if your dog is like mine and likes to run. I would not want anyone to have to go thru what we are going thru right now

Oh my god. Sorry to hear! Have a similar high energy dog Don't know how I would react if that happened to me. Thoughts and prayers to your famil and your dog.

My dogs are family, best wishes for your little friend.

We love our dog but always kinda just had the attitude that ya we love her but she is just a dog. That all changed this afternoon. Never realized how important she was to us until this happend

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Look into invisible fence - I know several people with high energy dogs that do well with it

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

My eyes teared up reading this; I am so sorry you had to experience this today. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and especially your precious pup during this trying time. Sending her strength, healing wishes, and prayers for the restoration of her health. God bless! Hugs from me and my pups!

Man that sucks!! I know the look in the animals eyes looking at you in such great pain and still the look of loyalty in there eyes. Please keep us posted Best of luck!!!

When I went into the icu kennel area to say by to her she was drugged up and clearly in pain. She wagged her tail 3 or 4 times when she she saw me. That felt really good.

My prayers are with you. Stable is good and I believe all will turn out well.

Not from an accident, but have been where you are now.

We lost our dog of 15.5 years on Thursday, so I know how it feels to be worrying about a beloved pet. Thoughts with you and your family.

We lost our Belle (the girl in my avatar) a few years ago, loved her dearly. Then we adopted an Australian cattle dog, another rescue, love her as well.
The more people I meet, the more I've loved my dogs.
Best wishes, hope all goes well.

Last edited:
I know the feeling too well... but my case my dog was the same so fast and energetic and the guy that hit her took off and a few people chased him down and then to find out he purposely swerved to hit her and the police said nothing they can do because of a leash law... but she pulled thru and took her a few months to gain full movement in her leg. She lived to be about 16 years old...
Hope your pup pulls thru this...

Back
Top Bottom