The Costs of Reloading

The Costs of Reloading
How I Shoot For Pennies

When I tell people that I make my own ammo I usually get one of two responses:

1. Wow, that sounds dangerous.
2. Wow, you must save a ton of money.

As for the first, anything is dangerous if you jump into it not knowing what you're doing, but with proper research you are quite safe. As for the second, it's a bit complicated and could be answered in two ways:

The short version: I may be able to make ammo for 1/7 of the price of factory, but I shoot seven times as much so it's a bit of a wash.

The long version:

I decided to reload when I saw that .45 ACP was $25 for a box of fifty rounds. If I wanted a hobby that wasted that much money I'd start buying scratch tickets. I needed another way to get cheaper ammo that was as good or better than factory (keep this in mind). So I did some research and bought the things needed to turn a pile of components into shootable ammo.

To make things easy here, I'm going to base this off of 1,000 rounds so things add up easier and to give you a feel for the benefits of both buying in bulk, and how cost is reduced over time.

To start, I bought the following:

Lyman 1200 Pro Sifter - $60
Lee Classic Turret Press - $100
Lee .45 ACP Dies - $40
Lee Scale - $20

*I bought a few other things but this is the bare minimum to get started short of a reloading book which I borrowed from someone else.

So it's a pretty hefty startup price ($220) but like anything, there's overhead. The cost of these is the equivalent of 440 rounds of ammo.

The next thing I needed were the components themselves.

1,000 brass .45 ACP Cases - $65
2/3 lb Titegroup powder - $15
1,000 Large Pistol Primers - $40
1,000 plated 230gr RN Bullets - $120

Total for first 1,000 rounds: $460 (The equivalent of buying 920 factory rounds).

I was lucky because reloading pistol didn't require case lube or anything so I was able to save a bit here and there to keep my costs down.

So the cost of my first 1,000 rounds was almost as much as factory ammo and I spent the equivalent of $23 on a box. It wasn't the dramatic savings that I was looking for but I knew there was overhead so the cost over time would improve.

So I decided to make 1,000 more. Luckily this time it was far cheaper the second time around.

1,000 brass .45 ACP Cases - $0 (I reused the ones I had)
2/3 lb Titegroup Powder - $15
1,000 Plated 230gr RN Bullets - $120

Total for second 1,000 rounds: $175 (the equivalent of 350 factory rounds).

The cost of my second 1,000 rounds was MUCH cheaper than the first which made the cost equivalent to $8.75 a box.

But wait, there's more:

The place that I order my bullets from does a brass credit program. I collect brass that I don't use, send it in and they give me $2.50 credit per pound for my order. The only cost to me is the $16 shipping to send them the bullets. $16...for 1,000 bullets in exchange for about 50 lbs of brass (sure I may be able to sell for more, but this takes little effort).

Here's my current cost for loading 1,000 rounds:

1,000 brass .45 ACP Cases - $0
2/3 lb Titegroup Powder - $15
1,000 Plated 230gr RN Bullets - $16

Current cost for for $1,000 rounds: $71 (the equivalent of 142 factory rounds).

This comes to $3.55 for a box of 50. Want to make it even cheaper? Collect range lead, cast it into bullets and cut out another $16. But primers by the case and save another $5 or so. Buy the powder in bulk and but a bit more out.

The average cost of my first 3,000 loads of .45 ACP: $11.76 a box.

So to those who are debating whether or not they want to drop $500 on reloading supplies and take on the hobby, I hope this helps and sheds some light on the real costs of reloading. Will it be more expensive for some calibers? Yes, rifle is more expensive, but not by much if you really shop around. Will it be cheaper for others? Maybe.

If this turns one person away from being a slave to factory ammo prices and opens them up to the world of reloading then writing this was worth my time.

--Anthony

Nice to see. I reload because it is fun. Saving money is a bonus.

I think I have bought 200 rnds/5.56 but have collected so much brass at the range, I have 650 rounds in my safe now.

Well done. Casting is a great gobby in itself. I think I have close to a ton of ingots, four buckets waiting to smelt, and at least 4k boolits ready for the press.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Nice to see. I reload because it is fun. Saving money is a bonus.

I think I have bought 200 rnds/5.56 but have collected so much brass at the range, I have 650 rounds in my safe now.

It's sad that even after the worst of the shortages (the era of craziness), spent brass must still be locked up in a safe!

I wish I reloaded years ago. The saving get even better when you reload hp or soft point. The store price it at about $1 per round and the same quality if not better can be reloaded for around 13cents

Awesome post.
I like to see a thread like this started or bumped every now and then so the people that are on the fence can see how beneficial reloading is.

Anthony, if you really want to start saving start casting. Well worth it.

I'm about to head into the shop to cast a bunch of 358429 bullets to feed my s&w 686

With this last batch of lead, and figuring cost of lube I'm around 9/10ths of a cent per bullet. That beats paying .10 per bullet for commercial cast.

Great write up! I will be that 1 guy you turn away from being a slave to factory ammo prices. I'm going to be looking into everything you mentioned ASAP! With the Lee Classic, about how many rounds can you pump out per hour as a rough estimate?

Great write up! I will be that 1 guy you turn away from being a slave to factory ammo prices. I'm going to be looking into everything you mentioned ASAP! With the Lee Classic, about how many rounds can you pump out per hour as a rough estimate?

if that's the 4 port turret press, I easily do 200/hr of .40

I reload my own 5.56, 77 grn Match King's are hard to come by these days so reloading is on hold. The price for them isn't what they used to be either, they have gone from $120 to $170 in the past 3 years.

I reload my own 5.56, 77 grn Match King's are hard to come by these days so reloading is on hold. The price for them isn't what they used to be either, they have gone from $120 to $170 in the past 3 years.
Still a much better price vs factory match ammo.

If your smart and plan things right you can save even more money.
Try getting into group buys. Powder primers if mailed are charged a hazmat fee plus shipping. Most vendors will ship 4 to 6 8lb jugs of powder or 50,000 primers under one hazmat fee.
As for casting do that right also. Try to "buy " lirttle as possible new.
I found my propane burner (turkey frier set up) used with a close to full tank included @ yard sale. 25$ that tank melted down 500lbs of lead.
Lead is harder to find but find for free or trade.
Ihave 2 people that trade with me. One trades his lead for my un wanted brass. I have another trader who grades me his lead ww for my zinc
Its fun and done rights keeps you shooting more.

Another aspect of reloading is the time and gas you save trying to find the ammo you want. I cant even begin to think of how many Saturdays I wasted going to walmart to walmart shop to shop trying to find what I wanted in the quantities I wanted.
I have axlot of time to reload in the evenings. I don't have a lot of time on weekends to waste looking for ammo!
Its not really about price anymore for me. I just like to be able to kick out 200 rounds at my leisure. Be it plinking ammo or match ammo.
I also like casting bullets and making my own shot for shotgun loads.

Awesome post. As with anything, the cost can be amortized out a bit, as you shown. It will get progressively less expensive, save for the variable costs like brass, powder, bullets, cleaning media, other consumables, etc.

I have to get started. Thinking about getting an RCBS press for .45, 9mm and 5.56 after I reconfigure the basement.

Another aspect of reloading is the time and gas you save trying to find the ammo you want. I cant even begin to think of how many Saturdays I wasted going to walmart to walmart shop to shop trying to find what I wanted in the quantities I wanted.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully I won't spend the same amount of time hunting down components.

Great write up. I've been reloading for a long time and haven't shot factory ammo in years. Reloading is necessary when/if you shoot milsurp rifles in uncommon calibers.

Are there any advantages to buying and using cast lead bullets over copper plated bullets?[/QUOTE

I don't have any experience with plated. Only thing I can think of is plated will or should not cause leading of your barrel.
I don't even know the price difference.

My hesitation is with component cost. Going by star line prices and Internet prices in general, reloading 40 s&w worked out to about 36 cents a round, which doesn't include the cost of the equipment. I haven't witnessed the prices in the OP on 40 caliber (which is what I shoot the most of). 1000 unprinted once fired cases I've seen for 121 dollars. If I could find the components cheaply I'd definitely jump into it.

I haven't really checked any local stores in nh for reloading supplies/prices, are they much cheaper than what I've seen online?

Back
Top Bottom