The classic S&W Model 10

You can't go wrong with that,you can pump +p round threw that till the cows come home.

1st revolver I ever shot, our PD kept 4 Model 10s for the Reserve POs to use when they migrated to Model 64s. My favorite of the Model 10s was a heavy barrel 4". Ironically, my Wife bought a Model 64-3 as her first (and only) revolver.

I consider the model 36 the "classic" revolver. Its the fire arm my grandfather kept in his trouser pocket [grin]

I consider the model 36 the "classic" revolver. Its the fire arm my grandfather kept in his trouser pocket [grin]

I bought my nickel plated M36 over 10 years ago. It was made the year I was born. I still have the original hammer with spur but I bought a used one to grind it down for more streamline carry. (not that I carry it that much but it sees use on random occasions).

colt-sampw003.jpg

Classic K-Frames are great guns. Sooo pretty! Here's my 18-4 in it's holster. BTW, holster is up for sale. Ill be selling the 18-4 soon too, I think.

qqwccj.jpg

znk3zq.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my nickel plated M36 over 10 years ago. It was made the year I was born. I still have the original hammer with spur but I bought a used one to grind it down for more streamline carry. (not that I carry it that much but it sees use on random occasions).

colt-sampw003.jpg

Sweet revolver! I'm in the market for a good 1950's or 1960's model 36.......blued steel. Seen a few around but still need to come up with the scratch.

Sweet revolver! I'm in the market for a good 1950's or 1960's model 36.......blued steel. Seen a few around but still need to come up with the scratch.

My father's off-duty carry was a blued M36. He had it for many years until someone broke into his house in Lynn and stole it. [angry] That was about 20 years ago.

It's not, though. The Model 10 was released as the Hand Ejector in the late 1800's. It went through a number of changes, but the basic design isn't much changed. The reason it's a classic is because for a long time a variation of the K frame M&P was carried by most police agencies in the US. Those that didn't carry a S&W carried the Colt equivalent. The Chief's Special came along much later.

It's not, though. The Model 10 was released as the Hand Ejector in the late 1800's. It went through a number of changes, but the basic design isn't much changed. The reason it's a classic is because for a long time a variation of the K frame M&P was carried by most police agencies in the US. Those that didn't carry a S&W carried the Colt equivalent. The Chief's Special came along much later.

Roger that. I didnt say the 36 was the "original". The 36 is classic to me because I remember my grandfather had one.

Well if we're getting that serious about it garys, the gun pictured in the OP has the ridiculous built-in lock, so it really isn't all that classic. ;)

mod10 (1024x852).jpg
This is my Mod 10-8. Photo sucks, had to mess with it a bit but it wears a nice bright blue finish, I know this pic looks like a parkerized war trophy. I bought it pre-owned 25 years ago IIRC. Left the factory std double action w/4" bbl. The original owner sent it to the custom shop, had it converted to DA only, had the trigger replaced with a wide target trigger, and the barrel changed to 3". I also have the original 4" bbl still wrapped as it returned from the factory. The round butt Pachmyers were factory. Nice revolver but it doesn't get out in daylight much.

That's a nice piece. I won't carry it all the time, but I plan to carry my 3" 64-6 once I get an IWB holster for it.

View attachment 120325
This is my Mod 10-8. Photo sucks, had to mess with it a bit but it wears a nice bright blue finish, I know this pic looks like a parkerized war trophy. I bought it pre-owned 25 years ago IIRC. Left the factory std double action w/4" bbl. The original owner sent it to the custom shop, had it converted to DA only, had the trigger replaced with a wide target trigger, and the barrel changed to 3". I also have the original 4" bbl still wrapped as it returned from the factory. The round butt Pachmyers were factory. Nice revolver but it doesn't get out in daylight much.

Well if we're getting that serious about it garys, the gun pictured in the OP has the ridiculous built-in lock, so it really isn't all that classic. ;)

It's true, this is a current production revolver. I'm not so fussy about the lock being there as some, but it's there.

It's true, this is a current production revolver. I'm not so fussy about the lock being there as some, but it's there.
No, it doesn't bother me either. I bought one of those Talo 629's a couple years ago, 3" bbl, round butt. Lock or no lock, a great shooter and pleasure to own.

Back
Top Bottom