The Bullet Casting Info Megathread

My 'NEW" smelting pot

I finally got motivated to build one of those propane tank smelting pots. Pictures and a description
of my experience are in order so here goes:

1) Obtained 'empty' 20 Lb propane tank. To make sure it was empty I opened the bleeder on the side
of the valve. It was close to empty, but there was still a minute amount of propane left. Enough to make
a bang.

2) I left the tank overnight with the bleeder valve open and the next day I removed the valve assembly with
a wrench and a hammer. They are on tight, probably with a thread tightening compound. When you get
the valve assembly off, save it for the junkie as it is mostly brass.

3) I turned the tank upside down as propane is heavier than air. With no valve I was pretty sure I would
be OK if I left it a few days. I actually left it for two weeks this way. Not for concern over any propane,
just that was when I got around to working on it again. BTW, you will never get rid of the odor until
you actually fire up the pot to smelt lead.

4) I was concerned about the stability of the tank on my burner so I decided to use the tank remnants
to solve my stability concerns. I measured my cut locations 1" above the weld seam and then 3" above
that cut location. Those measurements will keep the cuts on the flat side of the tank. I made these cuts
with a sawzall and the first cut I made wasn't anything to write home about. Not bad, but not great
either. The second cut (because I wanted one good even cut to use for the base on the burner) I made
a preliminary cut, not all the way through, but just enough to help guide the blade for the final cut
and that seemed to work better. Either that or I was getting better at it.

Here are the pieces after the cut:

07_12_2010002a.jpg

07_12_2010001a.jpg

07_12_2010003a.jpg

5) Being concerned with a solid piece of metal smothering the burner I added holes to the stabilizer ring
every 2.5" and they are located in the middle of the ring, 1.5" from either edge. I'm not sure how big
the holes have to be but these are almost 3/8" and if I need to make them bigger later on it wouldn't
be difficult. There are 15 holes in the ring so that gives me 1.66 sq inches of venting as well as the
open part of the seams along the weld. If I increase the hole size to 1/2 inch I could improve the
hole venting to almost three sq inches if needed.

6) You ask why I made the stabilizer ring three inches? Well that is what I estimated it would take to have
the tank sit on the ring and still have the existing ring engage the burner as well. I don't think I was far
off.

7) Now all I had to do is get the stabilizer ring welded to the tank so I turned to one of the best NES'ers
around (Fixxah). Thanks buddy!

Here is the result of the welding. He apologized for the fact that he didn't grind down the welds but
he did this yesterday (7/13) after work! What a great guy. John, I think they look beautiful. This was
taken after I had put it to the fire so a lot of the dark ring around the welds is from the paint burning off
on the bottom of the tank.
07_14_2010002a.jpg

Even though it was raining a bit I couldn't just turn this beauty on and not melt a little lead so I tossed a
bit of range scrap in it.
07_14_2010003a.jpg

I wanted to see how it held some of my smelting tools so here is a picture of the pot with my Rowell
bottom pour ladle and a skimming spoon. At last, a little pool of lead!
07_14_2010004a.jpg

I also took a picture of my four quart cast iron dutch oven sitting inside of it to give you an idea of how
much my capacity increased.
07_14_2010005a.jpg

Finally, the results exceeded my expectations.

1) The pot is rock solid on the burner, better than the cast iron pot.
2) The heat seems to be concentrated on the entire area under the stabilizer ring. If you notice on the
internals of the pot you will see the discoloration of the pot where the heat is concentrated.
3) The pot heats up fast and cools down fast.
4) My only problem is that I will need some sort of tool holder on the pot as I have to keep the bowl of
my Rowell ladle hot when smelting. Interestingly enough, in the picture where you see the ladle in the
pot, the handle was still cool after around ten minutes. The heat is very concentrated on the bottom of
the pot. I expect with a longer casting session it would warm up pretty good though.
5) Finally I do need to put a handle on the pot. That is the reason I made the cut on the pot above the
seam. I figured that if I do get a wire handle on the pot the seam will add strength to the locations where
I drill the holes.

Anyways, I hope this helps. The only part you have to be very, very sure of is that the tank is empty.
Once you do that, you are home free.

Last edited:
Very nicely done! That's one beautiful pot!

Love the curved bottom..... Makes getting most of the lead out much easier than the cast iron pots..... Thanks for sharing this! [thumbsup]

I finally got motivated to build one of those propane tank casting pots. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez Richard, that was fast.

Do you want a holder welded on for the ladel? Or perhaps a couple of loops for a handle?

I will be doing the same thing to mine next week and when I cut the top off I plan on leaving extra material on opposite sides to install the heavy wire handle. That is definitely a slick idea and look forward to filling mine nearly to the top with alloy. My stand supports me without any groaning so I know it will handle a full pot.

Do you need to beef up your fryer legs?

Hi John,

I will take you up on that offer for the handles. I have to get some material for the handle like is on the cast pot.
Have any idea what that stuff is and where I could get some? Your welding job was A1 in my book. It worked like
a charm with those holes. I don't see a need yet to increase the size of them. I suppose when I get a pot full that
might change. I also might need to beef up the stand a bit. I see if I can find some material that might work for
that application.

Thanks again,

Richard

Jeez Richard, that was fast.

Do you want a holder welded on for the ladel? Or perhaps a couple of loops for a handle?

I will be doing the same thing to mine next week and when I cut the top off I plan on leaving extra material on opposite sides to install the heavy wire handle. That is definitely a slick idea and look forward to filling mine nearly to the top with alloy. My stand supports me without any groaning so I know it will handle a full pot.

Do you need to beef up your fryer legs?

Last edited:
That's cool. I cut apart my first propane tank Monday. Like EddieCoyle I used a right angle grinder to do the job. I really like the stabilizer idea. I cut mine along the top of the seam and the top half of the tank I am using as a funnel. I cut the steel bracket off of the top and added a short nipple to the threaded port and it works well as a large funnel. I think I will cut another tank just so I can get the three inch ring to add as a stabilizer. My only problem is finding someone like John to weld mine for me.

The offer is out there if you want to travel to the Blue Hill area. If there are a bunch to weld it may be worth it, that way I should be able to weld like the old days once again. Well, maybe not. But at the very least the idea is tops in my book. Kudos Richard.

Just so no one makes the same mistake I made, following Patriot's design:

I made the first cut 1" above the weld seam. That one's OK.

I made the second cut 3" above the weld seam. THAT"S WRONG, and not what Patriot said.

You make the second cut 3" above the FIRST CUT.

You should end up with the band being 3" wide, not 2" wide.

If you make it 2" wide, it's not wide enough.

I used my propane casting pot today to melt up some range lead. I started with approximately 70 pounds and
I recovered a little over 40 pounds of usable lead (57%). Pot worked pretty good.

Nice! I'm surprised that the recovery rate wasn't a bit higher though but I guess it depends on the batch. Normally nearing the 75% range. Lots of jackets?

Nice! I'm surprised that the recovery rate wasn't a bit higher though but I guess it depends on the batch. Normally nearing the 75% range. Lots of jackets?

Lot of jackets. This is outdoor range stuff and very little .22 in it. I pre-sifted the stuff to get rid of as much dirt, sand,
and rocks as possible before I melted the rest but there were a lot of jackets. I will sift out the jackets and get rid of the
steel when it gets a little cooler and add them to the almost seven pounds of jackets I have now. I'll take them to my
local junkie to see if he will take them. Does yours take the jackets?

Mark/Bob,

I received my SPIRE POINT (.500) S&W Magnum mold from NOE. Love the idea of that bullet!

However, I am having fill problems that I can't solve, and it seems like the venting lines might be shut closed (too shallow, so where they overlap, they raised up a burr, shutting off the adjoining vent line).

I see two things with the mold: Air burbling out of the sprue hole when filling (right when it completes the fill), and a void defect in the mold cavities (identical location in each of the two cavities) on the underside of the top most band.

Talking with Al Nelson on the phone last night . . . He seems to think that I might have to ladle pour this mold. Thinks that the bottom pour pouring pressure might be causing too much turbulence in the cavities.

Are you guys able to bottom pour this mold? Are you having to treat that mold in any unusual way? Or, do you pour it like any other mold?

I'm sending the mold back to Al for his review, along with some samples from the cavities. But I wanted some input from you, since I know you run that mold.

Mark/Bob,

I received my SPIRE POINT (.500) S&W Magnum mold from NOE. Love the idea of that bullet!

However, I am having fill problems that I can't solve, and it seems like the venting lines might be shut closed (too shallow, so where they overlap, they raised up a burr, shutting off the adjoining vent line).

I see two things with the mold: Air burbling out of the sprue hole when filling (right when it completes the fill), and a void defect in the mold cavities (identical location in each of the two cavities) on the underside of the top most band.

Talking with Al Nelson on the phone last night . . . He seems to think that I might have to ladle pour this mold. Thinks that the bottom pour pouring pressure might be causing too much turbulence in the cavities.

Are you guys able to bottom pour this mold? Are you having to treat that mold in any unusual way? Or, do you pour it like any other mold?

I'm sending the mold back to Al for his review, along with some samples from the cavities. But I wanted some input from you, since I know you run that mold.

That's very strange. When I use the mold it's one of the most reliable to pour/cast with. I think it may be a problem with the mold itself or the mix of casting alloy. Maybe a 50/50 solder tin mix may help the fill a bit and I hope that it's not caused by possible Zinc contamination (although I couldn't see how)

Bottom pour certainly works well in our mould.... We have literally cast thousands of this bullet (it's Mark's favorite shooter) and have not had any of the problems that you describe..... This was a very popular mould at your last workshop.....

We do run the mould very hot and cast this bullet in straight WW (with a touch of tin occasionally).....

Mark/Bob,

I was running 50-50 mix (WW/pure), and then tried adding some linotype to the mix to bump up the tin. Made the bullets shinier, but didn't do a thing to fix the issue.

What kind of "HOT" are you running it at? I tried cold (625) and also somewhat hot (725), made no difference.

I am totally convinced it's a venting issue.

Al send me this image from one of the molds he still has:
502375GrSP.jpg

The issue is similar to that, but always in the exact same spot, in both cavities.

BTW, I have done the heat cycling, and cleaned the mold three times.

I also want it to be MY own fav bullet for this gun.

It just looks
bubble_style_nasty.jpg

Last edited:
Duke, looks like a cold mould to me..... Mark can chime in since he is the "Master Caster" but our bullets are usually "frosty" with antimony.... We use the old "edge of the mould in the melt" method to get the mould up to temp and the early bullets look similar..... Once the mould gets hot enough the bullets start to frost and the driving band fill gets much better... Also would consider using straight WW water dropped for maximum hardness due to the chance of damaging the spire point during handling.... As always YMMV....[wink]

I was running 50-50 mix (WW/pure), and then tried adding some linotype to the mix to bump up the tin. Made the bullets shinier, but didn't do a thing to fix the issue.

What kind of "HOT" are you running it at? I tried cold (625) and also somewhat hot (725), made no difference.

I am totally convinced it's a venting issue.

Al send me this image from one of the molds he still has:
502375GrSP.jpg

The issue is similar to that, but always in the exact same spot, in both cavities.

BTW, I have done the heat cycling, and cleaned the mold three times.

I also want it to be MY own fav bullet for this gun.

It just looks
bubble_style_nasty.jpg

Yep, it's definitely because the mould is too cold still. Ideally you want the mould as hot as possible, but the casting pot not extremely hot to the point where it will stay liquid for more than a few seconds. Usually I crank it up to 10 for the initial melt and then dial it down to approx 8ish to keep a good temp. I work at a steady rate where the occasional addition of new lead prevents it from getting too hot, and frequent additions prevent the casting pot from stopping to pour all together. Those bullets aren't too far off though, I would give it about an extra minute or so with a dipped corner in the melt and it should bring it up to temp and pour better. Hope this helps.

Actually, Mark, the above image from Al was done at over 725 degrees F! With a very hot mold!

The voids you see are from air not being able to get out of the cavities.

Notice that the rest of the mold filled OK, especially the sharp point, which otherwise would have been more of a problem.

Suspect that we are casting hotter than that then (though I don't use a thermometer)..... Our experience is that this mould really likes the heat.....[wink]

Actually, Mark, the above image from Al was done at over 725 degrees F! With a very hot mold!

Notice that the rest of the mold filled OK, especially the sharp point, which otherwise would have been more of a problem.

Attachments

• P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 15

Duke, it's really up to you, but from my experience I have seen that exact pattern almost everytime I start a casting session. If I see it, I continue to heat up the mould and it fixes. It's the mould that needs to be heated up, not so much the melt itself. Even after the correct temperature is met, I still normally have a quick quality control inspection where I look over the bullets and pull any with deformities that may kill accuracy. It's nearly impossible to get 100% perfect casts (although sometimes close [wink])

I ran 200+ castings from that mold, hotter and hotter, and got the exact same small defect in the exact same place on BOTH cavities. CNC machining of the vent lines... IDENTICAL... BOTH cavities.... It all adds up. More than a cold mold in action. It's on it's way back to Swede (Al Nelson), and we'll see what he comes up with.

One thing for sure, I'm smoking the mold when it gets back!

Did some fussy work on an aluminum .30 cal mold last night, and the ONLY way I could get it to run right was to smoke it, and run it sizzling hot. Then I got proper fill. Still had sticky bullets (had to tap every one of them out), but they filled properly.

Cast, sized, lubed, and gas checked my first rifle boolits today!

These are from an RCBS 32-170 FN mold and they are for a Win '94 in .32 Special.

Sized .324, lubed with Magma lube, and gas checks are Hornady. Alloy is straight WW with 2% pewter. BHN is around 10.

08_17_2010003a.jpg

Last edited:
You could have skipped the pewter, and done a water drop, and they would have been harder.

VERY nice work, Patriot!

Cast, sized, lubed, and gas checked my first rifle boolits today!

These are from an RCBS 32-170 FN mold and they are for a Win '94 in .32 Special.

Sized .324, lubed with Magma lube, and gas checks are Hornady. Alloy is straight WW with 2% pewter. BHN is around 10.

You could have skipped the pewter, and done a water drop, and they would have been harder.

VERY nice work, Patriot!

Well,

Supposedly the pewter (mostly tin with a little bit of antimony and copper thrown in for good measure) aids in
fill out. Regardless, I didn't water drop for a couple of reasons. One, the rifle has a 1:16 twist, and is a marriage
made in heaven for cast boolits. Two, with the gas check, and a muzzle velocity around 1800-2000fps, it shouldn't
need to be water dropped. I've water dropped a lot of boolits and I have yet to find a good reason why I need to
do that. I don't use wrist shattering loads and the hardness of my water dropped boolits wound up too hard. I was
getting over 22-23 BHN on the WW alloy above when water dropped. Too hard for my liking. When I shoot them I
will let you know how they worked out.

ETA: If I do need to harden them up a little (alloy #2 hardness) I intend to mix in a little lino to get the desired BHN.

Last edited:
Well,

Supposedly the pewter (mostly tin with a little bit of antimony and copper thrown in for good measure) aids in
fill out. Regardless, I didn't water drop for a couple of reasons. One, the rifle has a 1:16 twist, and is a marriage
made in heaven for cast boolits. Two, with the gas check, and a muzzle velocity around 1800-2000fps, it shouldn't
need to be water dropedp. I've water dropped a lot of boolits and I have yet to find a good reason why I need to
do that. I don't use wrist shattering loads and the hardness of my water dropped boolits wound up too hard. I was
getting over 22-23 BHN on the WW alloy above when water dropped. Too hard for my liking. When I shoot them I
will let you know how they worked out.

ETA: If I do need to harden them up a little (alloy #2 hardness) I intend to mix in a little lino to get the desired BHN.

Richard, let us know when you shoot these if they lead at all. From reading, I would think that the bullets would need to be harder to prevent leading, but I haven't tested them myself to prove it yet. I'de be interested to see if these will lead or not

Besides that, those bullets are beauties!! [wink]

Nice job patriot! Those look awesome! Love the single big fat lube groove, that's a really nice bullet design... Bet they shoot sweet.....[smile] How much do they weigh?

Back
Top Bottom