Texas CHL applications up 39% in one year

The state is taking a month longer than the 60 days allowed by law to process original applications and 80 days longer on renewals, which are supposed to be handled within 45 days.

"We're trying really hard, but there have been delays because of the tremendous increase in applications," said Tela Mange, a DPS spokeswoman.

I'll use this line of thinking next time I get pulled over for speeding.

"Officer, I was trying really hard to keep it under 65... "

MA has NO reciprocity with any other state. Some states will recognize MA LTCs, but not many.

The irony is, I was talking with my brother who just got his LTC in Texas, they have to pay more by the time all is said an done, and have to take a handgun safety course every 4 years even for renewals. When all is said and done it's over $200.

What the heck can we do to increase licenses in MA? As a firearms instructor I set a personal goal of training 5 people per year who I know to train and help them get a permit. We should start an organized campaign.

(and I have used my MA permit to carry in TX)

What the heck can we do to increase licenses in MA? As a firearms instructor I set a personal goal of training 5 people per year who I know to train and help them get a permit. We should start an organized campaign.

That's awesome! Getting licensed for firearms is one of the first things I did after I became a US citizen. And I just persuaded my wife to join Lynne's Woman LTC class this weekend! Now there will be two new gun owners and conservative voters in Mass.

Every little bit helps!

IIRC, in Texas you don't need a license for shotgun/rifle/handgun (non-concealed carry). Paying a little extra to be able to carry would hardly be a drawback considering all the other freedoms you get to enjoy.

I'm never really disappointed with the whole must-take-a-class-every-4-years thing. Whats the absolute worst that could happen? People know how to use their firearms just a little bit more? I'd rather go and take the class as an experienced shooter than not and know that there may be a well-intentioned person out there with a handgun they don't know how to operate.

Back
Top Bottom