• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tell me about your K31

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Have the opportunity to pick up a K31 and just by handling it I liked it. Seems like a very good C&R rifle that is solidly built. From reading reviews most state these are rock solid and accurate for a surplus rifle. I know if I bought one years ago price would have been much cheaper but this one is $400, which seems to be on the low end of what they are going for now. Prvi ammo is running $15 per 20 rounds, so not too bad.

So are they worth the money? How do you like your K31? Most importantly what should I look for to determine if it's good or has a problem?

Thanks

Best quality surplus rifle made.
Very accurate and I even had a letter from the owner of one I owned.

Wouldn't trade mine for anything. Sure it never saw the front lines, but can you even fathom the history behind a rifle from a country so well armed and trained that it managed to stay out of WWII?

Be warned however...Once you get one, you HAVE to collect the whole set!

Last edited:
Aaaaand...They don't really have problems...Seriously. the surplus ammo is pretty plentiful right now and it's match grade. Don't even bother with the PPU while the GP11 is available...I have brass to reload for my 1889 Schmidt Rubin, but use the GP11 for my K11 Karbiner and K31...Like I said, they're kind of a sickness.

I always found that my K31's were just as accurate as my Swedish Mausers...and the K31 reloading using 30 caliber bullets is a nice feature too....

Best darn 300$ milsurp rifle I have bought.
So far my K31 was the only surplus rifle I put some surplus ammo in set the sights to 200m.
Dropped to prone position with sling for support and put 10 rounds into about a 5" group at 200 yards a tad low in the ten ring which was my fault as I was holding a little low. Only rifle I have not had to play with the sights to get it to shoot where I aim.
So yes it's a great rifle. I shot one of my better bolt action scores at cmp vintage match
451/7x
The only down side to These rifles is the rear sight.
I prefer aperture style sights as I have fading eyes and the notch style rear sights are just not easy to see anymore.

$400 definitely on the low end now. I'm sure NES is populated with many who bought for much cheaper a couple or more years ago, but those days are gone unless you run into some blind luck. K31's are on my short list & I've been looking for a while, hoping to see something local. I found a couple for $400 but passed on them due to condition issues. One I didn't like how the crown looked and the other had a couple spots of corrosion. Both had quite rough wood and significant wear to much of the metal surfaces. There are plenty of nice ones to be found if you accept some roughness to the wood near the butt plate.

Go for it & post pics if you get it! If you decide not to, please PM location for me [smile].

Easy to load for, accurate, and left handed.

K31_lefty.JPG

Sure, the bolt handle cost twice what I paid for the rifle, but with the increased K31 prices it's now only about half!! It's become a bargain!!!

[rofl]

It's my only lefty C&R - Need to get it out of the cave into daylight more this year.

Aaaaand...They don't really have problems...Seriously. the surplus ammo is pretty plentiful right now and it's match grade. Don't even bother with the PPU while the GP11 is available...I have brass to reload for my 1889 Schmidt Rubin, but use the GP11 for my K11 Karbiner and K31...Like I said, they're kind of a sickness.

This. Forget about PPU (though its great ammo) and buy the GP11 surplus. It's absurd how accurate this rifle/ammo is...I know I'll never sell mine. I have a scope mounted on mine and at 100 yards it was shooting half inch groups from a rest....

All the vendors who do ship to MA, are sold out. But Midway has it on sale for a good price - if you have free state connections:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...x55mm-swiss-174-grain-full-metal-jacket-gp-11

$400 is a good price. I paid $400 for mine that came with 180 rounds of ammo back in 2015...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom