Tax Refund

What milsurp should I put my tax refund towards?

• Lee-Enfield

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Kar98k (RC)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Arisaka (Type 99)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, looking for some input. Thought it might be fun to try a poll for the first time. I was thinking I'd use some of my tax refund on a new acquisition, and I was curious about peoples' impressions and pros/cons would be for these choices, as well as any other options I might've left out that would make a good selection.

Some considerations:

• I already have the funds set aside for one or more M1 Garands, so I deliberately left it off
  • Looking to spend around $600 or less; any spare money would go to accessories and ammo
  • I would want the acquisition to be a shooter, so ammo availability and cost is a factor

Bullet point three makes the Arisaka a little worrisome, but they seem really neat.

To get within the $600 range plus/minus, I am assuming the K98 will have to be a Russian Capture.

Last edited:
Do you reload
I should've mentioned that--I don't reload any of these calibers. I only help a family member with 22-250, but I would like to get into it. If I went with the Lee-Enfield or the K98k, I would probably try a Lee Classic for 303 Brit or 8mm (I know they have 303, not sure about 8mm but would assume so).

I opt for $600 to reloading gear.

As for rifles.... Swiss. K31 and the rest towards boxer primed ammo like PPU to have a starter set of brass for reloading.

As for rifles.... Swiss. K31 and the rest towards boxer primed ammo like PPU to have a starter set of brass for reloading.
That's a fair answer. I almost put a fourth option with the K31, but decided to narrow it down. I would also like a M1903 someday but the prices I've seen have been too high for this endeavor; I don't know very much about them, either.

In all honesty I don't really have any calibers that seem reloading worthy at the moment, although getting ready to do M1 loads is probably smart. I can always try 5.56 I guess. I didn't figure reloading 7.62x54R made much sense, although I could be wrong. I figured .303 or 8mm would provide an additional excuse. Maybe it's chicken and the egg, one will naturally progress to the other.

That's a fair answer. I almost put a fourth option with the K31, but decided to narrow it down. I would also like a M1903 someday but the prices I've seen have been too high for this endeavor; I don't know very much about them, either.

In all honesty I don't really have any calibers that seem reloading worthy at the moment, although getting ready to do M1 loads is probably smart. I can always try 5.56 I guess. I didn't figure reloading 7.62x54R made much sense, although I could be wrong. I figured .303 or 8mm would provide an additional excuse. Maybe it's chicken and the egg, one will naturally progress to the other.

The thing about reloading.
For the current .70 cent plus per round for CMP mixed bag you can load darn close to match grade ammo for less.
With my recent purchase of 168gn Noslers Custom Comps on sale at the end of the summer and some coupon codes my reloads actually went down in price.
223 has its advantages also. You can load much better ammo than the inexpensive brass cased Offerings out there.
Now if your only shooting 200 rounds of any/each cal a year reloading may not be for you.
Even if you bought a single stage and die sets for the 4-5 cals you may reload for your still may have enough left over for a K31?
54r for the most part is not worth reloading for unless your really looking for gains in accuracy. I gave up on trying to find .312" bullets. Last I bought them they where 26 cents each. I do cast for 54r (I shoot cast in everything really) brings my reloads down to about 8-11 cents per round.

Mac beat me to it. I would also suggest a K31 though I think ammo may have dried up again. It was plentiful as of a couple weeks ago. Well at least from vendors who ship to MA...You'd have to ship to a free state friend.

Your financial situation, time, and how often you shoot plays a role in determining if reloading is worth it. I would always suggest to reload regardless because it's fun. But I know plenty of guys that make waaaay more money than me that spending $1 per round isn't a big deal.

Your financial situation, time, and how often you shoot plays a role in determining if reloading is worth it. I would always suggest to reload regardless because it's fun. But I know plenty of guys that make waaaay more money than me that spending $1 per round isn't a big deal.

I make less each year as my kids grow and life cost increase at a rate my pay does not. I seen this coming 8 years ago and acquired everything I need to have to reload and cast for all my guns I shoot.

The thing about reloading.
For the current .70 cent plus per round for CMP mixed bag you can load darn close to match grade ammo for less.
With my recent purchase of 168gn Noslers Custom Comps on sale at the end of the summer and some coupon codes my reloads actually went down in price.
223 has its advantages also. You can load much better ammo than the inexpensive brass cased Offerings out there.
Now if your only shooting 200 rounds of any/each cal a year reloading may not be for you.
Even if you bought a single stage and die sets for the 4-5 cals you may reload for your still may have enough left over for a K31?
54r for the most part is not worth reloading for unless your really looking for gains in accuracy. I gave up on trying to find .312" bullets. Last I bought them they where 26 cents each. I do cast for 54r (I shoot cast in everything really) brings my reloads down to about 8-11 cents per round.
The K31s I'm seeing on GB based on a quick search are $550-$700, unfortunately. Certainly not an exhaustive search but doesn't seem like doing both is easily done on the budget but I might swing it anyway. According to my chart I shot about 850 5.56 last calendar year. 7.62x39 is my most utilized centerfire (another not worth reloading). I did want to start loading for the future M1 so the gear/tools were in the plans at some point. I just figured if I had more than one caliber to reload besides 30-06 it might make more sense but I guess it's better to setup for at least one and then add other calibers as needed.

Mac beat me to it. I would also suggest a K31 though I think ammo may have dried up again. It was plentiful as of a couple weeks ago. Well at least from vendors who ship to MA...You'd have to ship to a free state friend.
How reloadable is 7.5? I assume I'd have to get PPU as my understanding is the GP11 cases not easily prepped based on the primer?

The K31s I'm seeing on GB based on a quick search are $550-$700, unfortunately. Certainly not an exhaustive search but doesn't seem like doing both is easily done on the budget but I might swing it anyway. According to my chart I shot about 850 5.56 last calendar year. 7.62x39 is my most utilized centerfire (another not worth reloading). I did want to start loading for the future M1 so the gear/tools were in the plans at some point. I just figured if I had more than one caliber to reload besides 30-06 it might make more sense but I guess it's better to setup for at least one and then add other calibers as needed.

How reloadable is 7.5? I assume I'd have to get PPU as my understanding is the GP11 cases not easily prepped based on the primer?

I stopped shooting for about 10 months and saved up enough to buy reloading dies for everything I shoot. Except 762x39 your right not the most cost efficient load to reload. Especially out of most x39 platforms. Not much to gain in accuracy with a sks,AK and such vs 25 cent factory ammo.
I can't believe K31s jumped up that quick...

It's all a balancing act. If you buy a arisaka the ammo is harder to come by and I have not seen for less than 1.25 per round in some time. So that's a,limited shooter unless you reload. You can make 7.7 from 30-06 brass to boot.

If I get anything back... reloading gear and maybe a tax stamp or two if they start approving post 7/20 sbr's

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I get anything back... reloading gear and maybe a tax stamp or two if they start approving post 7/20 sbr's

There was some action in the NFA thread the other day that they were approving them in MA again.

- - - Updated - - -

Biased; a K98 should be part of any Milsurp collection.

T
I honestly expected k98 to win or be close.

There was some action in the NFA thread the other day that they were approving them in MA again.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly expected k98 to win or be close.
So far it's only been the back log of pre 7/20 applications. It's anyone's guess what will happen when they hit the deadline

Correct. GP11 isn't reloadable but PPU brass is of course. I've had great results with my reloads using Nosler 168 gr BTHPs and IMR-4064.

C&R vendors have them way cheaper than gunbroker. Though they're out of stock. I paid $250ish for mine in 2015. I would post a WTB ad on the CMP forums assuming you have a C&R?

Also jpm has some GP11 in the classifieds:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/321385-Swiss-GP11-Ammo-(4)-60-round-packs

Last edited:
I've been watching the K31's as well. Yes, they are now going for ~$550 to $700. I've seen a couple at a local shot for ~$400 or slightly less but condition wasn't as nice as I'd want. Excellent bores but slightly rough stocks and some surface rust or pitting on the metal. Of course some of those $550 Gunbroker K31's look similar.

I've been watching the K31's as well. Yes, they are now going for ~$550 to $700. I've seen a couple at a local shot for ~$400 or slightly less but condition wasn't as nice as I'd want. Excellent bores but slightly rough stocks and some surface rust or pitting on the metal. Of course some of those $550 Gunbroker K31's look similar.

Holy s*** I had no idea they jumped up that high. Like I said I bought mine in September of 2015 for around $250ish if I recall. Unreal.

One C&R vendor lists them at $350 but out of stock. Not sure when they'll get more.

Holy s*** I had no idea they jumped up that high. Like I said I bought mine in September of 2015 for around $250ish if I recall. Unreal.

One C&R vendor lists them at $350 but out of stock. Not sure when they'll get more.

If I found them for $350 I'd buy 2 and keep the most accurate one. Tempting for the 2 in the area for $400, but I think if I wait I can find something in nicer condition. Also considering a Swedish Mauser, but that K31 straight pull action is pretty cool. A few months back, maybe last year, I saw a great looking K31 for sale on NES for a decent price. Thought about it for a day or so and it was already gone.

Here's one for sale out of North Conway, NH. Could probably buy it and meet at a dealer in MA or NH (save shipping charges). I did this with a couple handgun purchases from GB where the seller lived just over the border.

Great price (assuming no one else bids)

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615520501

Edit: nevermind. The reserve hasn't been met yet....

Last edited:
Here's one for sale out of North Conway, NH. Could probably buy it and meet at a dealer in MA or NH (save shipping charges). I did this with a couple handgun purchases from GB where the seller lived just over the border.

Great price (assuming no one else bids)

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615520501

Edit: nevermind. The reserve hasn't been met yet....

Buy it now for $679? LOL, I don't know if they are moving at the top end of the prices but I think it will be very difficult if not impossible to still find them for $350.

I wonder how bad Arisakas are getting.

It's SPF now, heh. I saw one or two K31s for $400 maybe two years ago or so at the local shop, haven't seen any at any stores recently, but haven't really been looking. I'm thinking the straight pull would be more lefty friendly? The votes seem to be going to reloading gear.

As a lefty it provided nothing more than any other rifle.
You just do it... want to get some laughs hand a LH action to a righty.[rofl]

The CMP auction ones last I saw were fetching a pretty penny. The ones I've seen sporadically at stores were not cheap either, but haven't been looking thoroughly.

Carbines are tough to find for a good deal. I have not seen a carbine locally for under 1k for a long time. CMP auction forget it...

The cmp has a small stock pile they are cashing in on. I dont think i ave seen one sell for less than 1200$

The 1903a3s have gone way up also on cmp forums...... http://cmp1.zenfolio.com/p1038735130/h1d0289d7#h1417c94b

I put my 1903a3 with new stock and USGI stock that came with it up for sale shortly and i got bashed at my 900$ asking price..?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom