Target marketing: no pink guns left behind? . . .

070907_Firearms_1_6a-796774.jpg

Now, answer me this: is the above picture a "toy" that a five-year-old girl, fond of toys in pink boxes, might pick up and play with?

No, it's a pink Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm Semi-Auto Pistol sold exclusively by Gander Mountain, self-described as an "outdoor lifestyle retailer." The retailer has launched a line of firearms targeted (sorry) to women. Does this come under the heading Pretty in Pink?

Not unless you think that the latest firearms statistics on women dying from gunshot wounds belong in Vogue magazine. But the way Gander Mountain describes the marketing strategy, guns are a fashion item, not a health risk.

"The latest craze for the hunting enthusiast is now in a bold new color – pink. In addition to the traditional firearm hues, Gander Mountain stores are now selling an exclusive line of firearms that come in the hot new color for all things outdoor," the company enthuses.

The Gander Mountain's press release rationalizes that, "While the male sector of the hunting community may stick to more muted colors, the new pink firearms have been welcomed by those who want to add a feminine touch to their shooting practice."

Furthermore, Gander Mountain contends that women shooters are a fast-growing segment of "outdoor customers." Gander Mountain says that, "a 20 GA pink shotgun first hit the shelves last year and sales were strong enough that Gander Mountain decided to add a wider selection of pink firearms."

It's not just a trend among women, but girls, too; the company notes that they are seeing more and more girls attending hunter safety courses with their parents. "Girls are actively participating in family hunting traditions, but some may want to have a little more fun with it by getting a pink shotgun," the company observes. Take that, Barbie!

pink_remnigton_shotgun-772319.jpg

The Remington 870 Junior 20 gauge pink shotgun, shown above, is made "specifically for a young beginner." This week it is on sale with a $30 rebate at Gander Mountain for $369.99 and comes with a free matching pink hat. The gun bears a slogan: "Shoot like a girl if you can!"

Sounds like an anti blog of some sort.... you can tell by the
tone of "self righteousness" in the commentary, and the obvious
absence of any mention of a person defending themselves from
domestic violence, criminals, etc.

It wouldn't matter if the guns were pink, camo, or cat puke
orange- the douchebag that wrote this is just using that as a
"snarkyness point" to take jabs at gun owners, and to some extent,
women who own guns, etc. IMO women who own guns should tell
the author to FOAD. Scumbags who encourage the disarmament of
civilians deserve zero respect.

-Mike

Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant who has worked with health care stakeholders for over twenty years.

Translation from bureocratese: She's only interested in the
bottom line for whoever she works for and could give a shit
less about someone's real health or safety. This bitch only
thinks of people in numerical terms. [rolleyes]

These are the kind of people we have now trying to run our society,
governments, corporations, etc. They don't give a f*ck about people,
they only care about the money. One can look on both sides of the
aisle to see this shit, too. That's the scary part. Neocons and Democraps
hate what I call "The curse of the individual". That is why they prefer
authoritarian tendencies.

-Mike

Translation from bureocratese: She's only interested in the
bottom line for whoever she works for and could give a shit
less about someone's real health or safety. This bitch only
thinks of people in numerical terms. [rolleyes]

These are the kind of people we have now trying to run our society,
governments, corporations, etc. They don't give a f*ck about people,
they only care about the money. One can look on both sides of the
aisle to see this shit, too. That's the scary part. Neocons and Democraps
hate what I call "The curse of the individual". That is why they prefer
authoritarian tendencies.

-Mike

I would rather have someone who is doing something for pure economic gain than someone who is doing it "for my own good."

I would rather have someone who is doing something for pure economic gain than someone who is doing it "for my own good."

I suppose that's true in a lot of cases, but IMO in the case of
something which is a constitutional right, someone working to
deny it because of economic reasons is just as dubious as a concept
as the "its for the children" approach. I'm not about to give up
freedom just because someone says its "expensive". (nevermind
the fact that we all know that it's mostly a myth or at best, a half
truth in this case).

-Mike

Sorry I am too much of a traditionalist. None of my fire arms have pink furniture or any other color than what they came with. My reaction is [puke2]

Could've used that gun for halloween and dressed up as a pansie!! Along with my pink shirt(collar up, please), pink tie and of course a pink sweater tied around my shoulders.[smile][wink]

Didn't some 'expert' once recommend a Spyderco knife with a pink handle so that if it's held up in court, the prosecutor would look like a royal boob? Wonder if that would work with a gun? (^_^)

Oh my, I'm hearing the King of the Lemmings from Madagascar speak...

"Look at my pink gun. The Foosa will never bother us again!"

Color Doesn't Matter

It doesn't matter. If the females want a little color in their firearms - more power to them. As long as the colorful guns are manufactured with quality and perform accurately and reliably for their intended uses (sports, hunting, personal defense, etc.), they can be any color out there.

Kudos to the marketing genious that is selling more guns to more people by changing the firearms' color!

My girl saw me looking at NES today and said "Guns are bad.". I then went on to explain that her Dad, both grandfathers, and many police use guns, are they bad? Of course she said no. So then she said police girls can also use guns and not be bad. That made me think to look up the pink guns thread for her.

Reading the article in the first post here, I am wondering why the focus on "Outdoor" guns. What about "Indoor" guns?

That said, I wonder if they have any pink BB guns. Anyone know? Merry Christmas.

*edit: disclaimer! I didn't realize how old this thread was before I replied. Sorry! Didn't mean to beat the horse to death.

Teach kids the difference between look and feel of a real gun vs. a toy and they'll never make the mistake of confusing the two. If you ask me, all you ever have to do is handle a real gun once in your life and there is no way you could ever be confused again.

The color doesn't matter... education matters. If someone wants a pink gun, more power to them. I personally have no interest in brightly colored furniture... but I do have a Desert Tan AR15 and would not be happy if someone told me I couldn't own it because it was too happy-looking or whatever their reasoning is.

Now, answer me this: is the above picture a "toy" that a five-year-old girl, fond of toys in pink boxes, might pick up and play with?

I would not let any future daughters of mine shoot 'pretty pink guns' anyway. My children will grow up knowing the responsibility of shooting. And they will grow up exposed to firearms. Just not pink ones. [puke2]

But the way Gander Mountain describes the marketing strategy, guns are a fashion item, not a health risk.
Yeah, because I always make sure that my pistol matches my shoes...[rolleyes]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom