Talk me out of a 5.56 can

So I want a center fire rifle can. I really want a can with an A2 mount so I can run it on all my ARs without having to spend a bunch on mounts for all of them. I don't have any 7.62 stuff but I do have plans on getting a 7.62 bolt action something at some point. My LGS has ben trying to get me to get a 7.62 can and just skip the 5.56 can altogether. But my question is why? If I do go 7.62 at some point I would probably want a direct thread and just leave it mounted all the time. What say you guys? Am I missing something to my logic?

Why the hell would you want to leave it mounted all the time? /boggle. Get something that uses a ratchet mount like the AAC system
or something that takes a lug.

-Mike

I can't read your inflection in your post and you can't read mine in this one. So lets just run on the inference that we are both being polite and helpful. Can you be descriptive then just "boggle"? Why does this boggle you? I would just sight the rifle in with the can and leave it there. If I would get a 7.62 rifle it would be my only one and strictly a giggle gun. I leave my .22 can mounted all the time and it works well. I rarely leave my state and when I do it is to a state where suppressors aren't legal so I leave that rifle home. I do want something with a faster attach for a 5.56 can. Why should I get a ratchet system, do you have one, do they work well? More information would be quite helpful.

Subsonic 5.56 is basically .22lr so you lose power, and the lower power round makes it difficult to cycle. Those seem like decent reasons, but if I lived in a free state, they wouldn't be reasons enough to stop me.

I just picked up my AAC 762-SDN-6 not too long ago and I went with the ratchet mount for various reasons. I have 3 guns in 3 different calibers that I can use it on, a .300 blk pistol, a .308 AR and a 5.56 pistol upper. It makes switching between those easy, and I don't have to worry if I grab the right caliber can since it works for all 3. They all use the same AAC 51T ratchet mount and it takes all of 10 seconds to take the can off one and put it on the other. The mount is sturdy and I have no worries of the can coming off accidentally or something. Having this one multi-use can allows me to go spend money on other things (namely a .45 can now [grin]). And just in case you needed more persuasion, pics.

IMG_20150112_123602.jpg IMG_20150409_204036.jpg IMG_20150409_205750.jpg

Why the hell would you want to leave it mounted all the time? /boggle. Get something that uses a ratchet mount like the AAC system
or something that takes a lug.

-Mike

Who wants to shoot something unsuppressed? All rifles should have cans, always! [smile]

How many cans out there have an A2 mount besides the HALO? The HALO is durable as all hell, but it's heavy and not really that quiet.

308 cans are big and heavy too. If I were you, I'd standardize on some QD ratchet system and just bite the bullet when it comes to retrofitting the mounts. I have the YHM Phantom QD 7.62 can, and although it's about the same sound level as the 5.56 version, it's noticeably larger and heavier. If you're going to be running and gunning with a bunch of carbine classes and tactical matches, spring for the titanium version of a 5.56 can, but keep in mind Ti cans don't handle prolonged firing as well as the steel ones. If you're just standing at the range punching holes in paper 20rds at a time the weight/length isn't as much of a factor, so a 7.62 can will be more versatile and you won't need to buy a second can down the road when you get a 30 cal host.

Def get a 30cal can. I have a SDN-6 and it is the balls. I slapped together a 300blk upper so I can shoot subs and giggle at how quiet it is, but I shoot 5.56 through it more often then not. I put a 51t on my wife's Rem700 for it, and when I get around to building a 308 gas gun, it will go one that one too. It really is one can to do all of my rifles.

The suppressor market is amazing right now, and I have put all my suppressor buying on hold to see what comes out of Sig and a few others.

Who wants to shoot something unsuppressed? All rifles should have cans, always! [smile]

How many cans out there have an A2 mount besides the HALO? The HALO is durable as all hell, but it's heavy and not really that quiet.

308 cans are big and heavy too. If I were you, I'd standardize on some QD ratchet system and just bite the bullet when it comes to retrofitting the mounts. I have the YHM Phantom QD 7.62 can, and although it's about the same sound level as the 5.56 version, it's noticeably larger and heavier. If you're going to be running and gunning with a bunch of carbine classes and tactical matches, spring for the titanium version of a 5.56 can, but keep in mind Ti cans don't handle prolonged firing as well as the steel ones. If you're just standing at the range punching holes in paper 20rds at a time the weight/length isn't as much of a factor, so a 7.62 can will be more versatile and you won't need to buy a second can down the road when you get a 30 cal host.

Why doesn't the ti stand up as good as steel?
What I know about metals ti better for high heat.

I need to man up and get a rifle can, but I honestly am turned off by the amount of hassle on top of writing a check to the feds to own something that doesn't quiet the rifle all that much and adds weight. My pistol can sits in the box I never use it, and everybody I know who has a rifle can for their ar will often opt to shoot unsuppressed because the clean up/gas in the face.

I guess I should just buy a SCAR17 and a 308 can.

I need to man up and get a rifle can

i-should-buy-1hbkt0.jpg

I can't read your inflection in your post and you can't read mine in this one. So lets just run on the inference that we are both being polite and helpful. Can you be descriptive then just "boggle"? Why does this boggle you? I would just sight the rifle in with the can and leave it there. If I would get a 7.62 rifle it would be my only one and strictly a giggle gun. I leave my .22 can mounted all the time and it works well. I rarely leave my state and when I do it is to a state where suppressors aren't legal so I leave that rifle home. I do want something with a faster attach for a 5.56 can. Why should I get a ratchet system, do you have one, do they work well? More information would be quite helpful.

I'm just boggled because the best part about having a can like that is you can use it on multiple different guns, and having it stuck on the gun makes the gun longer.

-Mike

I'm just boggled because the best part about having a can like that is you can use it on multiple different guns, and having it stuck on the gun makes the gun longer.

-Mike

maybe he'll pin and weld it to have a non-sbr sbr?

I guess, but even the thought of that makes me shudder. Like 47 does at 1:33...

-Mike

AAC advertised their direct thread 5.56 can, the Ranger I think, as one that you could pin and weld. I personally think that is silly since Suppressor's are expensive enough that I would want to use them as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snacks if you are ever going to BE anybody you need an MP5SD with subsonic 147 grain hollow points. Like the real pros. Integral suppression or you are just playin.
1.jpg

A rifle-rated can with QD, like AAC's 762-SDN-6 is the way to go. There are several choices of 51T mounts available, include battlecomp. And if you later decide you want a dedicated .5.56 can, you don't have to change mounts.

So I want a center fire rifle can. I really want a can with an A2 mount so I can run it on all my ARs without having to spend a bunch on mounts for all of them. I don't have any 7.62 stuff but I do have plans on getting a 7.62 bolt action something at some point. My LGS has ben trying to get me to get a 7.62 can and just skip the 5.56 can altogether. But my question is why? If I do go 7.62 at some point I would probably want a direct thread and just leave it mounted all the time. What say you guys? Am I missing something to my logic?
Yes. You're missing the new Liberty Mystic X.. Cleanable monocore warrantied for 53 rifle and pistol rounds.

My pistol can sits in the box I never use it, and everybody I know who has a rifle can for their ar will often opt to shoot unsuppressed because the clean up/gas in the face. I guess I should just buy a SCAR17 and a 308 can.
What you need is a QD system and some bolt-action rifles, a switchblock or rifle with gas selection from the factory (e.g. AUG)

Last edited:
Snacks if you are ever going to BE anybody you need an MP5SD with subsonic 147 grain hollow points. Like the real pros. Integral suppression or you are just playin.
1.jpg
[/QUO]

Except that running 147s in an MP5SD is wholly unnecessary, that's kind of the whole genius of the design, it makes supersonic ammo, subsonic by the time it gets out, so you don't have to run "special" ammo in it.

-Mike

1.jpg
[/QUO]

Except that running 147s in an MP5SD is wholly unnecessary, that's kind of the whole genius of the design, it makes supersonic ammo, subsonic by the time it gets out, so you don't have to run "special" ammo in it.

-Mike

Exxcccept 147 gr by its very nature is going to be subsonic out of most barrels (I think it just barely passes 1,100 fps out of my 8.5" SBR) and generally has more stopping power and 1,000 fps than a 115 gr at 1,300.
Anyways, it's a sweet gun. I need one.

That's why I like .45 no special ammo needed . I wish I could rent a chronograph to see what my 45 ak Is shooting at.

It's in my trunk; I can bring it to the Spring Trigger. Ask Monadnock if he minds, maybe later in the day?

That also shows the versatility of the 9mm round.

Why doesn't the ti stand up as good as steel?
What I know about metals ti better for high heat.

I'm not an ME, so I'm not sure how much if this is just broscience, but there was a discussion about it in the gigantic 200pg Form 1 suppressor thread over on ARF, and I can't find the page now [angry]

But if you google it, there are a lot of threads like this one (http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120539) and this one (http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-73251.html) on ST and other sites, talking about the degredation of Ti strength as it gets to the temperatures mag-dumping causes.

Exxcccept 147 gr by its very nature is going to be subsonic out of most barrels (I think it just barely passes 1,100 fps out of my 8.5" SBR) and generally has more stopping power and 1,000 fps than a 115 gr at 1,300.
Anyways, it's a sweet gun. I need one.

Yeah, but my point was 147s are gonna be dribbling out of an MP5SD unless they're loaded hot to begin with. They're not going to be leaving the gun at 1000 FPS out of an MP5SD, unless you have some really hot ammo loaded up for it. I believe HK even tells people right in the manual to NOT use subsonic with it.

-Mike

Last edited:
Yeah, but my point was 147s are gonna be dribbling out of an MP5SD unless they're loaded hot to begin with. They're not going to be leaving the gun at 1000 FPS out of an MP5SD, unless you have some really hot ammo loaded up for it. I believe HK even tells people right in the manual to NOT use subsonic with it.

-Mike

With port holes like this to bleed off the velocity, I wouldn't want to shoot subsonic anything through one of those guns.

HKNARCMSD001-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom