Taking a 15yr old to shoot

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what would this community be without the occasional dumb question?

My little brother is turning 15 next week and I was considering bringing him to the range to shoot for the first time. He is a really good kid, and smart to boot, so I personally know I don't have to worry about him not following directions. Anyone know if it is a problem to bring him to shoot? I am not his legal guardian, just a big brother with a gun.

I would refer to my "club rules" but those are not easy to locate. Any comments?

Are you over 21? Mom and Dad OK with you bringing him? Check out the NRA website as well.Where it is his first time shooting bring a small caliber firearm, preferably a 22 LR single shot rifle. The single shot will make him take his time and think about each move. Be sure that you handle the firearm in a safe manner. Teach him the basics, #1 Pointed in a safe direction, #2 finger out of the trigger till ready to shoot, #3 keep the firearm unloaded till he is actually ready to shoot.
Don't forget to bring and use eye and ear protection.
Keep in mind, there is no such thing as a dumb question, only the one you don't ask. You never get the answer for that one and not knowing can get you hurt.
He is lucky to have a big brother taking him to the range.
Be safe and have fun.

Make sure you let him know that safety is not a joke and nothing less than total attention to you is required.Do not aim the weapon at anything you are not willing to kill instantly.

Bring a .22

Make him clean your guns afterwards.

double them up

One thing I would have a new shooter do is double up the ear protection.
The cheap ear plugs under muffs make a huge difference with larger calibers.
You can buy single pairs at a hardware store for 50 cents or less.

I'd start him off thinking it is always done this way.

Bill

Make sure you let him know that safety is not a joke and nothing less than total attention to you is required.Do not aim the weapon at anything you are not willing to kill instantly.

Bring a .22

Make him clean your guns afterwards.

Very good advice right there. When I was getting my wife into shooting I had her help me with cleaning. She actually really appreciated it because she saw all the innards of the firearms and how they functioned. It takes a lot of the mystery and apprehension out of shooting.

Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately I have not acquired a .22 yet, but who knows what the Concord Gun show will bring if I can make it up there. I like the idea of doubling his ears, my indoor range has some tough acoustics, and I want him to be as safe as possible. I also like the idea of having him clean it afterwards. If it ends up happening I will be sure to let everyone know how it went. Thanks again everyone.

I usually do a mini safety course before letting any newbie touch my guns. Hammer the safety rules into him, don't leave his side while at the range, & if he even comes close to breaking any of the safety rules, start at the beginning.

I started taking my little sister shooting when she was about that age too, & it's all a question of teaching them to use the gun safely at all times, no matter what. No screwing around on the range.

Oh, & have fun!

Last edited:
IMHO, I would actually sit him down and help you clean them first like ochmude said, it is a great idea, and helps take the oohh - aaahhh away, especially for a teen boy who has seen way to many movies. I have a son who lives with his mother,he is going to 15 soon, and when ever he brings guns up as a topic when we get together, I constantly take the position of that guns are machinery, and deserve respect, and like any machinery, can kill when not used properly. I also try to bring home the point, guns are cool and can be fun, and they are nothing like anything in the movies. I also talk about the laws too. But thats me. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you guys have a fun and safe time.

Go through a thorough safety briefing before you head to the range.

Go over safety, the 4 rules, handling, what to do in the event of a jam, etc. Better to do this in a quiet environment and not try to do it on the line.

When i was 15yo i was shooting a full size smith 1911. But my grandfather started me real young.

Bring him and let him shoot what ever.

I am 16. I have been shooting rifles for about 6 years. I started on a .22 rifle. I started shooting pistols last year with my dad at the range. I again started on a .22 ruger. Now I shoot the beretta 92fs 9mm and a snub nose .38 smith and wesson. My dad always stressed the importance of saftey on the range. If you give him a good talk first. You should be fine.

i taught my grandson to shoot. i did this when he was 9 yrs old (at that time he stood 5foot 7) he is now 14 and 6 foot 2. he has been a consistant winner at my clubs turkey shoots. it makes him proud when he brings home food for the table. before i let him even touch a gun i drilled the safety aspects into him and i still do it to this day. just keep repeating safety to him and have fun.

[hijack]

So, am I crazy for wanting to find a 22 pistol so my 10 YO can shoot with me at the range? He's gotten good with the air rifle and seems to take the safety rules seriously. [/hijack]

i brought my little brother shooting for the 1st time when he was 12. he shot a WASR-10 in 7.62x39. he did fine.

i brought one of my cousins shooting (who was 15 at the time) with billk last summer. his 1st gun was a .38 special, and his 2nd gun was a 12 gauge shotgun with 3 inch magnum loads.

theres a steep learning curve when you learn to shoot with ol' denchy-poo.

just put a massive emphasis on safety. a lot of people have no idea how powerful a gun is, and how incredibly dangerous they are when they are not handled correctly. if the person can not wrap is head around safety, then dont bring him.

Last edited:
Friday did you just jack my post????[angry]

No harm done!

Based on all of the stuff I have read here and elsewhere it really seems to just come down to the person bringing the younger (unlicensed) shooter to the range. If the younger shooter can follow the safety rules then you should be fine, some people even commend you for teaching them young. At least that is my impression of all of the posts I have read here and outside opinions I have seeked out.

The best bet sounds like it would be to use an outdoor range that is scarce of other shooters or empty if possible. Just because it seems some people don't appreciate kids on the range. (that is not my opinion, just something I have heard from other "more seasoned" ornery shooters). I think you are fine and no other shooters have to worry if the kid is taught not to sweep everyone with the muzzle. Good luck to you and your 10 y.o., and here I was thinking bringing my 15 yo brother would be a problem. [smile] Let me know how his grouping is!

Oh yeah and Friday, I'll let you hijack my thread this time, because I was basically done with it, but don't let it happen again. [laugh]

Bringing younger shooters to the range is a good idea. If nothiing else, they will hopefully learn some respect for firearms. I started both my sons at a young age and to this day, still enjoy shooting and competing. By the time my youngest was 14, I felt that he was safer (and a better shot) than a lot of the adults! Keep a close eye on him and enjoy!
Bob

[hijack]

So, am I crazy for wanting to find a 22 pistol so my 10 YO can shoot with me at the range? He's gotten good with the air rifle and seems to take the safety rules seriously. [/hijack]

My son is 11. We did the backyard BB gun thing first and hammered the safety rules home with him. Last year we joined WSC and I take him as often as I can. I bought a 22 bolt action for him to start with. I also got him involved with the Junior club and they fired a walther p22 and a glock 26. He loved that. I bought him a Sig Mosquito to shoot after that. He also has tried shotgun with the junior club. I would say definitely get a 22 pistol for him to shoot.

Good luck!

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what would this community be without the occasional dumb question?

My little brother is turning 15 next week and I was considering bringing him to the range to shoot for the first time. He is a really good kid, and smart to boot, so I personally know I don't have to worry about him not following directions. Anyone know if it is a problem to bring him to shoot? I am not his legal guardian, just a big brother with a gun.

I would refer to my "club rules" but those are not easy to locate. Any comments?

You can't take a 15 year old to the range!!! He'll shoot his eye out!

Seriously, though, good input from the guys here. And let this be motivation for you to go out and get a .22. Every gun owner should have at least one. If he does well with the .22, let him shoot an AR; he'll go wild!

[hijack]

People always ask if age "XYZ" is old enough to take a kid to the range.

I think it's impossible to make a decision based on age; it depends entirely on the individual child. So long as they have the dexterity to safely handle a firearm and the maturity to appreciate the hazards and need for safety, I say take 'em.

My opinion is that the earlier you introduce them to firearms, the better. By introducing firearms up front at an early age, you'll instill good habits and behaviors and eliminate the taboo and forbidden appeal.

My son has been shooting the air rifle in the back yard for several years now, and has a good understanding of the safety rules. Dad and I rebuilt the .177 last year. It was passed on by a friend that I used to live with that passed away, and is easily 30 yrs old. Amazing I still found parts for it. we did up a new piston, spring, o-rings, and trigger, it would barely ding a piece of plywood before, but now sings through stuff pretty easily.

We had to use the floor jack and the underside of the bench to get the spring compressed to screw the barrel back together, The thing kicks like a .22 when fired.

I think my 10 YO will be OK with moving up. He knows and practices the 3 basic rules all the time.

Dziner, now, that's a proper post jacking [smile]

Back
Top Bottom