• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tactical Pistol Training - Opinions

I'm interested in obtaining some formal tactical/defensive pistol training, but having done some initial research, I've found many, many sources for this type of training. Has anyone attended any classes of this type? If so, what facility did you go to? I want to get solid training from knowledgable instructors, but also want the best bang for my buck (forgive the pun).

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Not sure if this is the wrong place for this thread, but I wasn't sure where to place it.

I took the first level defensive handgun class from NEShooters (taught by forum members JimConway, M. Nastek, and KMaurer) and I highly recommend it. I think $250 for two days of high quality training is a good deal.

This is the first and so far only class I've taken, but based on the reading I've done, it's one of the best. Jim and Mike have trained with many excellent trainers on the national scene and pick and choose the best parts for their own classes. I recognized bits and pieces that I've read from all different trainers.

The class is running again July 12th and 13th.

For actually fighting with a gun classes, you need to look up David Kenik. He is based in RI and does training courses here in MA and CT. He is a part of this forum too. I, like you wanted more training than the average gun safety, CCW courses. David offers different levels from basic to all out fighting. Remember a gun fight is actually a fight. The gun is a tool used in the fight. You can PM me and I can explain the courses I took so you can see if they are for you.

His course listing are here:

http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/

If you have any doubt about David as an instructor, give James Yeager @ Tactical Response and ask him or even Massad Ayoob. Sorry for flag waving, but I have taken many classes and have been spending my time training with David Kenik.

Read a response of mine after David's Close Quarters class:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21613

Several of the NEShooters instructors used to be Suarez International instructors before Gabe officially decreed his way to be the only correct way.

Ken

I highly recommend NEShooters and David Kenik classes. I personally took several of classes from these schools and was very, very happy with both of them.

start with Sigarms and get the basics and their concealed carry courses. They are excellent, not wedded to any dogma like some. They are the best in New England. Once you have that, there are some very good traveling trainers that visit.

The SigArms Academy classes cost twice what NEShooters classes do, plus the cost of lead-free frangible ammo. Maybe the high level classes are worth it (I've only taken one class from NEShooters so far), but I can't see any reason to pay the extra money for the basics.

Its all in the fundementals or "basics".

You are training to carry and utilize a firearm. The cheap solution isn't really a solution.

Locally, SigArms is the best.
After that, you have, Mas Ayoob and David Kenik.

Visiting trainers include
Bill Jeans
Jeff Gonzalez
Randy Cain
Louis Awerbuck
Tactical Response

Spend wisely but spend, it is worth it to get the best training out there.

Having attended informal sessions with Jim Conway, attended formal training put on by Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez (all of whom were brought to New England by Jim Conway), and attended some formal classes/clinics run by Jim Conway (et al), I can tell you that the "old man" (Jim Conway) offers a lot of good training for very reasonable money.

NE Shooters (Jim Conway's gang) aren't in it for the money . . . they love to shoot and to teach others to be able to defend themselves. They attend Gunsite, FrontSight and numerous other classes each year and take a little from here and a little from there, so you aren't getting a single dogma.

Nobody will go wrong getting their training from NE Shooters.

Jim is a friend (who rides my ass mercilessly [laugh] ) but I have nothing to do with his training programs. If I lived closer, I'd probably be shooting with him every week!

I've taken several such classes:

Lethal Force Institute LFI-1 and LFI-2 - No one discusses the legal issues concerning the use of deadly force as well as Ayoob. I heartily endorse taking LFI-1. Ayoob will give you a good foundation on the basics of defensive shooting (holstering, drawing, emergency reloads, etc.).

Cumberland Tactics Tactical Handgun 101 - My shooting had plateaued for sometime before I had a chance to take a class from Randy Cain. His instruction greatly improved my shooting. I highly recommend his class.

Sigarms Academy Concealed Carry and Advanced Concealed Carry - these were good introductions to defense shooting and concealed carry. I think Randy Cain is better at teaching tactical marksmanship than the instructors I had at Sigarms, but most of the instructors at Sigarms have turned over since I was there. Also, Randy Cain's class did not cover concealed carry and drawing from concealment.

Smith & Wesson Defensive Carbine - I was just not that impressed with this class or the instructor.

If I had a chance to do it over again, I'd start with LFI-1 and then take Randy Cain's Tactical Handgun 101.

I've taken several such classes:

Lethal Force Institute LFI-1 and LFI-2 - No one discusses the legal issues concerning the use of deadly force as well as Ayoob. I heartily endorse taking LFI-1. Ayoob will give you a good foundation on the basics of defensive shooting (holstering, drawing, emergency reloads, etc.).

I, too, have taken several such courses - Ayoob, Chuck Taylor, John Farnam, Louis Awerbuck, some others. I agree with M1911. Ayoob's LFI-1 is the first course to take.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom