Survival rifle in vehicle?

I have a Henry US Survival Rifle (AR7). I'd like to carry it in my truck packed in the stock but with loaded magazines in it. I know you can't carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle but since its dismantled and has no chance of firing is it legal to carry it with the magazine in the receiver?

In what state(s) are you planning on keeping it in the vehicle? There is no law in RI against carrying an unloaded rifle. The NH Firearms Act should tell you if it's legal or not.

In MA make sure its in a locked bag or something. Technically low capacity rifles only need a trigger lock in MA but I don't trust LEO's to know the law so I think its safer to put it in a case ....plus it keeps it from getting scratched.

If you drive to other states you need to do your homework...I have heard NY can be trouble.

In MA make sure its in a locked bag or something. Technically low capacity rifles only need a trigger lock in MA but I don't trust LEO's to know the law so I think its safer to put it in a case ....plus it keeps it from getting scratched.

If you drive to other states you need to do your homework...I have heard NY can be trouble.

Sorry to further derail this NH law thread, but I must correct:
No person .. shall have in his possession or under his control in or on any vehicle or aircraft a loaded shotgun or rifle.. Chapter 131, section 63

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/storageinfo.html

There is no case, nor lock requirement on a low capacity shotgun or rifle.

I specifically asked a F&G Officer about this. I was asking about keeping a rifle in the truck inside a case with rounds stowed in a leather butt cuff.

He said it was a no-go. The ammo cannot be touching the rifle.

He suggested keeping the ammo separate from the rifle and even went as far as telling me to keep the filled magazine stored outside the case.

He said there was no problem with keeping the filled magazine on your person, which is not relevant to your question, but good info none the less.

I am ANAL, and each encounter with a LEO might be different depending on who you get.

As a policeman once told me, "You might be able to beat the charge in court, but I'll ruin your day in the meantime."

I have heard some question the loaded magazines as well. If your open carrying a handgun with out a permit and just removed the loaded mag and had that with you how they would look at that. Really never heard a good answer on that one.

Last edited:
Since this is the "New Hampshire Laws" forum, no need for any discussion about locked containers or ammo storage or hicap. None of those have any special status here.

The relevant law is NH RSA 207:7 , it all boils down to the word "attached" in the phrase "No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle...a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun. ".

So for rifles in your car, a loaded magazine that is not "attached" to the gun is no problem in NH.

The thing that the OP may run into with the "attached" part is that an AR7 breaks down into 4 components (maybe 5, depending how you count: Barrel, action, magazine, and stock ( the buttplate comes off, so that's the fifth part). The mag is in a separate hole in the stock from the action, but they're all stored in the stock.... so.... the mag is "attached" in that it's not in a separate location or container, bit it's not in the magazine well, either.

COmmon sense would say that this meets that "not attached" part....but we're talking gun laws, so common sense need not apply.

I agree common sense would say the rifle cannot be fired and is as safe as if there was no magazine in it. However the law does say attached and it is technically when stored in the butt. In fact the way its designed you to are store one magazine in the receiver and two more next to it.....so I guess an over zealous LEO could make me have a bad day.

here is a pic if anyone is unclear, if you look closely you can see part of the third mag just in front of the trigger guard.

h002b-survival-open.jpg

What about keeping the magazine unloaded? If you ever need to use the rifle...if you have the time to assemble it, you'll have time to load the mag. Maybe keep a box of .22 in the glove box?

Sorry if this doesn't help your question.

sent from tapatalk mobile app

I guess that's the safest thing to do...I just liked everything packed up in one neat package. I guess I could keep it in the box with a box of ammo in with it...

BTW if anyone is interested in these they are a great little gun...fun to shoot and pretty accurate for what it is...I look at it like the pocket fisherman....you can go shooting whenever the opportunity presents itself.

why not just keep a bulk pack of ammo in the car separate from the rifle? it isn't one of those rifles you are going to need loaded up in a hurry

I guess that's the safest thing to do...I just liked everything packed up in one neat package. I guess I could keep it in the box with a box of ammo in with it...

BTW if anyone is interested in these they are a great little gun...fun to shoot and pretty accurate for what it is...I look at it like the pocket fisherman....you can go shooting whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Where'd you find yours?

Back
Top Bottom