• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival rifle choice, 308 bolt versus Ar

id have to go with a bolt gun. do an experiment this coming winter. take your AR to the range when its cold out. shoot two mags fairly quickly. wait 5 minutes. shoot a third mag. tell me what happens on round one of third mag. repeat experiment after throwing some dirt in ejection port.

One shot one kill is such movie garbage. The ability to take follow-up shots and take on multiple targets is far more important IMHO.

id have to go with a bolt gun. do an experiment this coming winter. take your AR to the range when its cold out. shoot two mags fairly quickly. wait 5 minutes. shoot a third mag. tell me what happens on round one of third mag. repeat experiment after throwing some dirt in ejection port.

Not sure why I would deliberately throw dirt in my firearm. However, if you have done either or both of these experiments please share your results.

???????
Plenty of people shoot multiple magazines through AR's in the winter. I'm not sure what the point of this even is? That throwing dirt in your gun makes it more prone to failure? Sure: Throw a handful of fine sand in that bolt gun and tell me what happens. [rolleyes]

Side by side 12 gauge loaded with one slug and one bird shot. Can take small game or large with the same gun.

One shot one kill is such movie garbage. The ability to take follow-up shots and take on multiple targets is far more important IMHO.

Did you read Black Hawk Down? Delta operators described a Ranger hitting an old Somali man with 3 bursts from an M249, only to see the guy stumble away. They said the .308 was a much more effective round against unarmed men high on Khat, one round from an M14 took Somalis out of the battle.

Yes, you can put better ammo in your AR15 than the Rangers had, but not everyone is stocked up on $1/round .223 ammo.

Last edited:
Did you read Black Hawk Down? Delta operators described a Ranger hitting an old Somali man with 3 bursts from an M249, only to see the guy stumble away. They said the .308 was a much more effective weapon against unarmed men high on Khat.

I do not see the correlation between 5.56 not taking down a guy instantly, .308 doing so, and disproving the "one shot, one kill myth".

Can you still get those survival guns with multiple barrels? Those are AOW's for some stupid reason right?

I do not see the correlation between 5.56 not taking down a guy instantly, .308 doing so, and disproving the "one shot, one kill myth".

Can you still get those survival guns with multiple barrels? Those are AOW's for some stupid reason right?

Well, whatever, my main point was you're not likely to need 1000 rounds of ammo in any realistic SHTF scenario, save that for zombie movies.

Official NES survival rifle:

cd8f620585d7e49b435fdca9f3513ddf.jpg

the point is it freezes. reliability would be a huge factor in this scenario and my trust would be better placed in a bolt gun

well, more often than not it will not be freezing. and I need a rifle that will fit more of the scenarios than not. If I was a sniper a bolt gun would be good. Since that will not be its primary use I need a semi. IMHO I think the semi gives me a better chance than a bolt gun in a SHTF situation.

the point is it freezes. reliability would be a huge factor in this scenario and my trust would be better placed in a bolt gun

ARs operate just fine in freezing conditions. If yours doesn't something is wrong with it.

ARs operate just fine in freezing conditions. If yours doesn't something is wrong with it.

Seriously. Are you lubing it with KY or something? Oil doesn't freeze this side of Pluto.

If you are taking it in and out of a warm building into the cold, condensation can build up. We were taught to stack our rifles outside during cold weather ops

Stop using Frog Lube and your rifle will work just fine. We've shot in 40 below temps and about the worst thing that happens is gas bleeding from the gas block bc the steel & Al expand at different rates so before everything warms up, sometimes there is a gap between the block and tube at colder temps. The BCG DGAF though.

survival rifle? 22lr either ruger 10/22 or savage bolt. between the two its an ar all day, just more versatile

The only thing we are missing here is that rkwjr guy that falating LWRC, drinking FrogLube, and SCAR17-ing his way through this SHTFantasy. I am sure he will be here soon enough.

id have to go with a bolt gun. do an experiment this coming winter. take your AR to the range when its cold out. shoot two mags fairly quickly. wait 5 minutes. shoot a third mag. tell me what happens on round one of third mag.

I have, my rifles work fine in the cold, mag after mag.

repeat experiment after throwing some dirt in ejection port.

wat? How about I bury my knife into one of the tires on my truck and try to drive it down the road?

wat?

Yes, you can put better ammo in your AR15 than the Rangers had, but not everyone is stocked up on $1/round .223 ammo.

So $1 per .308 is better? Even quality expensive 5.56 ammo is still cheaper then better then bulk pack 308.

ARs do pretty well as long as the action is closed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAneTFiz5WU

Also - I'd be happier taking my MAS49/56 as a survival rifle than an M1A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfGq1yk66Q

Last edited:
Stop using Frog Lube and your rifle will work just fine. We've shot in 40 below temps and about the worst thing that happens is gas bleeding from the gas block bc the steel & Al expand at different rates so before everything warms up, sometimes there is a gap between the block and tube at colder temps. The BCG DGAF though.

that could very well have been the problem (frog lube). has since left it in the bottom of the drawer

My friend "Annie Oakley" says that to get a deer with a .22 you should shoot him in the throat. Of course, she practices by knocking Coke cans out of trees across the road while standing on her front porch. The nearest neighbor is a mile away.

ROFL, I live south of the Mason-Dixon line again. What is this 'freeze' you are speaking of?
So, what does the military do in arctic conditions? I'm pretty sure I've seen movies where they are still using M16s in the snow :/.

My friend "Annie Oakley" says that to get a deer with a .22 you should shoot him in the throat. Of course, she practices by knocking Coke cans out of trees across the road while standing on her front porch. The nearest neighbor is a mile away.

And the deer suffers how long? She shoots at "targets across the road"? Very responsible shooter, your friend Annie Oakly!

10th Mountain Division somehow made it through their training and WWII with semiauto. I still liked the quickness and positive locking of a lever gun- idiotic or not. [smile]

I like the idea of .458 upper as a spare to the 5.56.

Back
Top Bottom