Survival Basics - Teachings 101...Interested??

This is my first time posting on Northeast Shooters, especially in the Survival forum. I own Red Zone Tactical in North Brookfield, MA, and would like to start a Saturday schedule of Survival Basics. I envision different people every week bringing their skills to the table, and teaching them to anyone who shows up (scheduled time). Multiple teachings of the same thing can happen at the same time. Picture a fire starting training, where one person uses flint, another a bow saw, and a third steel wool and a battery. Not alot of laymen know some of these, and I think the sessions could be informative, and let us all expand our own skill levels, and learn new techniques. Everything is on the table, from wilderness skills to candle making. Think TEOTWAWKI..Just throwing this out there. I have 37 acres of woodland, farm, and a spring stream at my location, and the possibilities are endless. I also am interested in putting in a combat course (airsoft only at this point, DEP is a bear). Any feedback would be useful. As the store owner, I realize I have everything to gain, and not much to lose offering any courses, free to the public, but as a citizen, I feel that if someone does not offer up a rallying point for these classes, and we all just read and talk about it from the safety of our homes, we are not helping each other with some of our shared knowledge.
Sorry this was long winded...Let me know what ya think. I have a ton of ideas, and due to my classification as a vendor, I want to start a buyers club to get us the gear and essentials we need in bulk, at great prices...think sand bags...#10 can goods...if you respond back, I will as well...Lets start doing more than talking...Lets start sharing...Community will be our path through troubled times...
Thanks Rich Dupre
Red Zone Tactical

Thanks Radio...Hopefully we can get some others to step forward. I failed to mention that all of these will be free. Hence the shared knowledge angle of it. I have a few seminars in the works right now. A baton class for the cold steel 4 inch expandable batons, with a Krav Maga instructor friend of mine, and a professional knife throwing session to learn the tricks of the trade. Stay tuned for the postings on here and my website for an upcoming schedule.

What about organizing and setting up a good basic 72 hr family disaster kit? Something that is portable and can be thrown in the car in an emergency? Look at dealing with the weather issues and emergencies that effect our area and how you would deal with them. What works if the power is out.

I like wilderness survival and think it is fun but for most folks they are far more likely to deal with emergencies at home vs stranded or lost in the woods.

Depending on the classes and my own schedule, I could see myself participating. I would like to test out an extended hump with my BOB, if your space can accommodate that kind of training. A class on preparing your body, mind, and gear for a real hump would be pretty cool, and a gut check for many keyboard commandos.

Last edited:
First Aid/CPR/AED training, CERT (community Emergency Response Team) Training, Ham Radio, marksmanship, Land Navigation, Canning, etc.

I would love to have a local training option, to learn some new skills.

Sean

Not a lot to share? Bet you do and don't know it. If we get people together, feel comfortable with the training, who says you can't learn a new thing to then come teach us? Thats the beauty of it. The BOB kits are a great idea. Everyone has an answer for it, but no one is right or wrong. But seeing options, and learning first hand from someone why they do it that way, or include a particluar item, can make us all think ..Wow...never thought of that...I'm adding it to my kit...Stay tuned guys. I am going to look at the calendar this week, and schedule the first training...BOB kit it is...otherwise known as a Dodge Bag..otherwise known as the shit n'git bag...

Not a lot to share? Bet you do and don't know it. If we get people together, feel comfortable with the training, who says you can't learn a new thing to then come teach us? Thats the beauty of it. The BOB kits are a great idea. Everyone has an answer for it, but no one is right or wrong. But seeing options, and learning first hand from someone why they do it that way, or include a particluar item, can make us all think ..Wow...never thought of that...I'm adding it to my kit...Stay tuned guys. I am going to look at the calendar this week, and schedule the first training...BOB kit it is...otherwise known as a Dodge Bag..otherwise known as the shit n'git bag...

Very Nice...I hope we can get this off the ground and running and I hope to attend soon.

I'd definitely be interested in this; I'm always up for learning new things.

Another great idea is food storage. Maybe talk to the Mormans and see if they can teach a class on that.

You are only an hour and a half away for me, so I could be in, I know a few things that I could share,and we could certainly try out things I have an understanding of but haven't completed fully on my own

A co-worker and myself are very interested in attending these classes. Awaiting details as far as date and supplies to bring

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

sounds like a great idea. For those who don't think you have anything to offer, you just need bring a good attitude.
Nothing better to have someone willing to learn.
To do it right you need to unplug, I suggest you campout, no matter what the weather for a couple of nights.
It should be at least a short hike of least a mile with your gear to your camp site, Cook on an open fire, build a simple shelter with with just a tarp and some para cord. All with your 24 hr gear or maybe your 72hr gear. No trips back to the car ot get something you missed. You'll find out quick what works and what dosn't. Once your confortable you can chalange each other by removing some of your items (they were lost, broken or stolen).

All right guys..This is what I have been hoping to see. Alot of interest so far, and alot of great ideas. The first go round will be April 16th from 1-4 pm in the Red Zone Parking lot. I can accomodate 200 cars, and a whole lot more people. We will hold a class on the 72 hour bag. Everyone bring what you have, and help me to explain why you have what you do, and what you would like to have. Once we get that settled, we can experiment with a hike camp out at a later date, to put practical skills to the test. Lets get the bags together, and go in the woods and use only what we bring. There we can have fire starting classes, land navigation using compasses and topo maps, foraging, water purification methods. The list is truly endless. So April 16th, 9 Brown Street, North Brookfield, MA 01535. or go to the website at www.redzonetactics.com. See you here.

All right guys..This is what I have been hoping to see. Alot of interest so far, and alot of great ideas. The first go round will be April 16th from 1-4 pm in the Red Zone Parking lot. I can accomodate 200 cars, and a whole lot more people. We will hold a class on the 72 hour bag. Everyone bring what you have, and help me to explain why you have what you do, and what you would like to have. Once we get that settled, we can experiment with a hike camp out at a later date, to put practical skills to the test. Lets get the bags together, and go in the woods and use only what we bring. There we can have fire starting classes, land navigation using compasses and topo maps, foraging, water purification methods. The list is truly endless. So April 16th, 9 Brown Street, North Brookfield, MA 01535. or go to the website at www.redzonetactics.com. See you here.

Great!!! I hope to attend a course in the near future!!!

Any chance you might be able to start a blog or something with info that you discuss in the get-togethers for those who could not make it to every one due to work or other commitments? Not sure if that would be possible for every scenario, but it's just a thought!

I won't guarantee it, but hopefully I can get this taped, and prepare a series of "free" trainings on my website. It would be so great to be able to share the great ideas I know shooters will bring to the table.

I am in an organization with two NESAR members. They are willing to donate time to the cause. Might be able to include them in the woodland training.

Don't know if I can make the first class but I could definitely do a cpr first aid class for you later on.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

Thanks..That would be awesome. Hopefully the next class will be a collapsible baton session taught by a Krav Maga instructor I am friends with.

Back
Top Bottom