Surplusrifle.com shutting down

SKS Ray

NES Member
A heads up for anyone who's ever been to surplusrifle.com for disassembly info and anything else related to military surplus firearms... The site will be shutting down soon but they are offering CD's with every article posted, including step by step take down procedures on some of the most popular surplus firearms out there. The site's owner, Jamie Mangrum, and his assistants have been valuable friends to the surplus collecting world.
These CDs are a great buy because not only are they affordable on anyone's budget, but the information on them is priceless. Reloading, shooting, customizing, repair, etc. all topics covered over the years packed into 2 CDs that are an essential part of any shooters library.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/CDROM/index.asp

Just a quick note to let everyone know the forum is NOT closing. It is going to continue running as it has until the weekend of January 6-7 when I will be moving it to a more robust server and taking over hosting duties. There will be a downtime as the database is moved over. This could be anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

Now for the part I don't like doing but is necessary to keep the forum running. Much like Jamie I cannot afford to run the forum out of pocket so I have setup a Paypal account you can donate. Just click on Donate in the menu bar at the top of the forum or click here Donate

For those unable or willing to use paypal you can send donations here:

Jeff Jones
P.O Box 91
Crescnet City, Fl. 32112

I would also like to thank everyone for supporting the forum and being a part of the family.

Jeff Jones

Last edited:
I got mine too. I just stuck the first disk in and I'm amazed ! This one CD contains:

Surplusrifle.com 2002-2003 CD-ROM
90+ Minutes of Video, 167 Articles (1075 Printed Pages)
Surplusrifle.com 2004 CD-ROM
166 Articles (1499 printed pages) + 2 Books + 3 Manuals
Surplusrifle.com 2005 CD-ROM
3305 Printed Pages of Material - 291 PDF Files (Includes: 6 Manuals and 285 Articles)

I haven't checked out #2 yet but if it's the same, it'll be mind boggling.

These CD's have assembly/disassembly videos, manuals and photos of about every milsurp made as well as tips, tests, reloading info.

I just found a section on military pistols including the 1911:

Pistol 1911 Ammunition 2pages
Pistol 1911 History 2pages
Pistol 1911 Operations 8pages
Pistol 1911 Specifications 1page
1911 Pistol Disassembly & Reassembly 54 Pages

Articles on unblueing/blueing, stock finishing, etc

LOTS MORE ! I haven't even looked at disk 2 yet !

I'd recommend this to anyone who has a gun ! For $14.00pp, how can you go wrong !

This might explain it - go to the main page of the site:

12/30/2006 have been deluged with emails since November 22nd (the day I posted about my illness and that I was going to shut down the Surplusrifle.com web site). All of the emails have been very supportive, understanding and kind. Thank you for all.

A couple topics kept popping up. One was asking whether folks could replicate our articles and post them on their web pages. I appreciate the thought but want to remind folks that I did sell the copyrights to the information on the CDs and Manuals to Layne at Tennessee Gun Parts. Layne will continue to sell our CDs and Manuals hopefully for many years to come. As a result the answer to this question would be no, you cannot replicate the material and post it on other web sites.

Many of you emailed with offers of free hosting or to outright purchase the main website of Surplusrifle.com. I really appreciate all of the generous offers. Many thousands of you emailed with the hopes that something would occur that would allow for the site to stay up. I have been made an offer that on the surface may look foolish for me but I am all right with the appearance and outcome. I have given the Surplusrifle.com web site to Layne at Tennessee Gun Parts. He has agreed to take over the web site in January 2007 (several months earlier than the end of March) and leave it where it is and take over paying the hosting fees. This benefits everyone greatly including me. I do not have to continue maintaining the website until the end of March and can step back and focus on my health issues. I do not have to deal with the legalities of a sale and the technical logistics of a migration of the site. The migration of the site would be too great for me to fathom at this time. You get an online reference guide for as long as Layne chooses to maintain paying for the site. Obviously if I was in this for the money I could of sold the web site many times over. I decided in the end that I would like a legacy instead. Something everyone would continue to benefit. I hope this is good news to everyone that has been an avid supporter and reader of Surplusrifle.com over the past five years. It is to me.

Jamie Mangrum

and this:

12/25/2006 7pm PST - Surplusrifle.com at this time has closed its online store. Please don't worry if you have already sent in a mail order we have set aside enough CDs to cover all inbound mail orders. If you have purchased via Paypal we have processed your order and you should receive it shortly.
Please check back in February, 2007 as Surplusrifle.com CDs and Manuals will be for sale again by Tennessee Gun Parts right here at the Surplusrifle.com web site.

The articles, manuals and CD's on the web site are copyrighted materials. These rights have been sold to Layne of Tennessee Gun Parts. As always, these copyrighted materials may not be copied or posted to other web sites.

If you have any questions about an order you have previously placed please email us at [email protected]

Calsdad, as soon as I LEARN HOW TO READ, I won't be posting stupid questions anymore! Thanks for the heads-up.

I didn't read at first either - then I started looking around and found those postings - I am just glad that the site is going to stay up (for at least a little while longer.)

Back
Top Bottom