• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Surfcasting Bag?

I am looking for a surfcasting bag. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I have seen a bunch that are out of my price range? I am looking to spend under $100 for something no smaller than a 4 tube. Also looking for something with space for a few jigs and plastics. I looked at the Shimano cause the price is good but there 8 tube bag looks less versital than other 4 tube bags. there "tubes" are too small to hold more than 1 plug while other bags with 3" tubes will hold 3 or so each. I know this isn't the best place to ask but figured I would ask here too. Thanks Brian.

I haven't but will thanks. I have always just used a junk backpack or such bug am starting to get into it more and more so toating around a plastic box or bag is getting old. Looking for something made for it.

Find a suitable sized bag at an army surplus store and get some appropriate PVC cut to fit epoxy together and nice bag for a reaction of the cost.

Ya that's what I plan on doing if I can't find something at a reasonable price. I would prefer to have something purpose made because of the extra things like pockets for jigs and the such. Plus not that it old take a ton of time it is a few extra steps and I don't have a ton of free time. I would rather let my credit card do the work while I do the fishing, lol.

Most affordable are the Precision Surf Bags IMHO. I use a few of them in small & medium sizes ($30-45?). They work fine for the most part. These are sort of along the lines of an insulated lunch bag sort of.

The OLDER Surfcaster Bags were better made IMHO. No experience w/ the newer ones. For example older ones have much stiffer/rigid carry strap. Those were a forest green color. New ones are black.

Cannon make a light duty bag as does BW Sports.

I have a few bags I tried putting tubes into and there were so so. For the time and money it took to get what I needed, I rather buy a bag and spend the time surf fishing!

FYI - the Shimano Surf bag is OK, but it is TOO heavy IMHO !! If you want a good work out use their bag!!! LOL

Good luck.

Thanks, I have been looking around but haven't seen those yet. I just hate to spend $250 on a bag, that's half what my rods cost with line and the plugs are another $15-$30+ each. Also as you said about making one I just would rather not either. With traveling daily for work, working on my house and spending the rest of my time chasing my 1 year old son around my time is at a premium. Plus by the time I drove around and got the supplies, found a half decent bag and put it together I would just assume buy one. If I don't like the one I buy I can return it if I don't like it after I make it I am stuck with it.

As far as the Shimano bag goes I held one but didn't note how heavy it was. If the square tubes were a little bigger I would have bought it. I don't want something so big it weighs 40 pounds after I fill it (cause if there is empty space I will fill it) but also don't want to have to leave plugs I wan with me in the car or a home.

I ran the whole line of "cost effective" bags for a few years. The more I got into fishing , middle of the night on a rock getting pounded by waves etc, the more frustrated I got trying to pull the hooks from bag material. I learned my lessons. There is only one bag manufacturer I use now, Commando Surfcasting. I have a 4 tube and a 2 tube bag. They are not your average bag, but Tom who makes the bags is not your average fisherman either. There are other companies that make quality bags Mak Surfcasting also makes them. For customer service and the absolute best product I chose Commando .

I have a precision pak surf bag. I like it. I got mine at surfland. They are like $35. They had the shimano there and I didn't really like it.

Thanks for the help guys. I am probably going to try an Aquaskinz for the rest of this year and hn get what I really wan next year... Probably a MAK. I was out of it for a while and am jus getting back into it it year so I already have a on of money into a couple new rods/ reels/ line and a good bit into plugs and plastics nd such.

I threw some tubes in an old messenger bag. Works great for me...someday I'm sure I'll drop some real coin on a real bag.

browniee, you must not have done much wading and casting out in the rocks and such. That is the whole reason for them. I don't trust people enough and I am sure most others feel the same to leave a pile of stuff on the beach or some other dry place while I fish hundreds of yards away. Even if you sw someone taking it you couldn't get to them in time.

Just so you know, I have had some bad problems /w the trim fabric on the Aquaskinz bags! I complained to Kadir years ago when I first had the problem, but I haven't seen a current bag and what they use. The weave USE to be very tight so the trebles wouldn't get stuck in the trim fabric on the edges. My tall small bag was a nightmare w/ me snagging my hooks in the dark and having to cut them free!! I got around it later on by using superglue on it to "harden" it up so my hooks no longer snagged. The small AS bag are perfect for hoofing around the Charles River, bays and beaches.

Some of my buddies spend CRAZY $$ on their skishing gear. I'm too chicken to do THAT in the dark! YMMV

Thanks 2020, I did notice they aren't the greatest. The weave of the fabric is rather loose as you said. I found the medium bag for a real good price. It should get me through the rest of the year. I will pick up a good one this winter, probably a MAK. I have a bunch of jeep parts on Craigslist so if I get rid of them sooner than later maybe I will get a good one for this fall.

Back
Top Bottom