• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Subtle hint to the moderators - SPF ≠ sold!

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Guys... I appreciate the hard work you do to keep NES running. I surely don't want NES to go up in smoke under the weight of all the posts.

But SPF means "Sold Pending Funds". SPF does NOT equal Sold. This means that someone has AGREED to purchase something, NOT that the purchase has taken place!

I went to mark my ad for my P90 as sold, as the check just cleared and I shipped it off yesterday, and was unable to find it. So thanks for cleaning it up, but next time could you wait until I say it's really been sold? Just in case someone backs out. So I don't have to rebuild the ad.

Thanks.

Please don't ding me rep points for this. I'm being polite and not even swearing.

I for one would like them NOT to delete them...gives us a way to see what things are really worth!

The new policy since the sold items forum was killed off is that SPFs are pretty much nuked on the fly. This was done to reduce clutter in the classifieds as well as for other reasons.

If you want to repost your ad, best idea is to save the text in a text file.

-Mike

That doesn't make a lot of sense, Mike - what happens when a buyer backs out? What if you have a second buyer who is sitting there going "Ooh, if this guy backs out, I get my chance at it!".

I really think that you guys should rethink that policy.

I for one would like them NOT to delete them...gives us a way to see what things are really worth!

Yes and no... I've bought and sold several guns on here where a deal was worked out behind the scenes- so the actual value never got posted in the thread. Just because someone is offering X gun for Y price doesn't mean that's what it actually sold for. [grin] This is especially true in the case of handguns...

IMO in MA especially handgun value is a higly variable thing. It's typically a mixture of what's being sold, how badly someone wants to sell it, and how badly someone wants to buy it.... usually the end value is an amalgamation of all three things. In the rest of free america someone just goes on gunbroker and grabs a few numbers off there and computes an average... harder to do that in MA when the datapoints are flying all over the place.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have to agree with dwarven1 here. There have been more than a few sales where there were several people waiting and the original buyer backed out.

The solution is simple: Don't mark it until it is a done deal.

Ding, those fries be done!

Someone will say "well, what if I get harassed with lots of PMs about my ad" IMO, collect some names, then mark it SPF. The chances are if you have 5+ people lined up to buy something, that the odds are that 75% of them probably won't back out. [laugh]

-Mike

It gave a lot of other people a way to see who was selling what, and how often, and where the transfers were being done. If you want to see what something is worth, there are other places to do the research.

But then people will be constantly pinging you asking if it's sold (well, if it's a popular item, anyway).

Ping them back and tell them that it's SPF, and you'll notify them if the deal falls through.

When you're a former Mac guy like me, you wonder if it feels good to get "PINGED"!!

Over 50 and never been pinged.

Back
Top Bottom