• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid Hunting Question

This going to seem like a stupid question as it most likely is. Can you go hunting in MA anywhere (Public Land)? What I mean by that when I was growing up in Maine I was able to walk in my back yard and do some hunting along the rail road tracks. Sometimes would drive until we saw a good place and just hit the woods. If there were "No Trespassing" signs we wouldn't hunt there. Is that the same here? In Texas we had to know someone who had land or had to get drawn for public hunting.

Last edited:
yes, when i was water fowl and upland game hunting there were some places in mass you could go. how to find out where they are these days i have no clue, but i'd love to know also

Town by town differences. You really need to know the regs for the town you want to hunt. In general I would say, you need written permission even if not posted. The closer to Boston you get the more accurate this is as a rule of thumb. I wouldn't assume you can just hunt without knowing for sure. MA is a very UNFRIENDLY state to hunters in general.

In Massachusetts, one has the right to hunt on non-posted land that is not otherwise restricted (such as state parks, or in a community that has a local ordinance prohibiting hunting).

Waterfowl is different - along the shore, a property owner's land extends to mean low tide, but under laws dating back to Colonial times, one is permitted to hunt and fish there, as a right.

Get a copy of the Abstracts, and read them; that will make it clearer! [laugh]

Now....politeness dictates that if you are hunting on private property that is not posted, you should still ask permission, but if you should go onto non-posted land, it's not trespass (as if you were going after a wounded deer). If a wounded deer does go onto posted land, STOP! Call an EPO - they have right of entry, you do not!

Many towns, especially close to Boston have written permission regs. Andover, Wilmington come to mind. Do what you want......

My basic point is this is not NH or ME, it's MA. Hunting regs, just like general firearms regs are not clear cut and easy. In NH.....not posted, good to go. If you hunt with that philosophy in MA......well, I wish you luck.....

Last edited:
So you are saying I can hunt with a shotgun for deer or turkeys in Wilmington or Andover on private (not town property with hunting regs) property with no issues without permission??

OP asked about just hunting where he sees fit, not hunting in Harold Parker with the orange army. I will fully admit my response was very general and not meant as ALL of MA sucks as much as the Boston area but anyone who thinks this is a fairly "free to hunt" or hunter friendly state has not spent much time out of state in my opinion.

Do a couple of you coming down on me really want to take a hard stance that this "opinion" is way off base?

So you are saying I can hunt with a shotgun for deer or turkeys in Wilmington or Andover on private (not town property with hunting regs) property with no issues without permission??

If you follow the link I provided you will see that both of those town have hunting/shooting restrictions. Andover bylaw basically says nothing except State land, and Wilmington says town lands are closed to hunting.

My understanding is from from talking directly to fish and game, local town officials and police and they have confirmed that I cannot hunt on Wilmington or Andover private property without written permission, town bylaws, not state regs. That's the extent of my checking, shame on me, i know, cops never Know the rules. You wanna be a tough guy, prove me wrong and neg rep me, guess what, I really DGAF. Good for you.

Yes i am being a smart ass. I wasn't looking for a fight, nor am I now but it seems you need to prove something. I'll be happy as a pig in shit if I have been wrong all these years.

Question for you. Can you confirm for me please that I can hunt in the towns of Wilmington and Andover on private property without written permission from the landowner with a shotgun for deer and turkey. This is the ONLY specific I have quoted. Please post regs if you can, I would LOVE to know that I have been wrong all this time. It will save me a ton of driving and I will buy you beers, lots of beers :)

This link sure implies to me there are a lot of towns with restrictions to discharge of firearms and "requirements" for written landowner permission to hunt.

Restricted Hunting Towns

maybe the link is wrong, I have never checked all the towns by-laws but some I have.

My point to a person asking for advice on pulling over on the side of the road to hunt in MA was caution. I still have not seen anything to change my mind on this or my advice to be cautious, especially coming from a "freeer state" to hunting in MA.

Go and get a copy of the town by laws from each town and read them for yourself. THen you will know what the law sayes in writing.

This is really my point. In most free states I have hunted this is not necessary. It's easy to know the state laws and hunt where you find opportunities without having to worry about every single towns issues. Obviously understanding game laws is critical but it's a PITA in MA.

This is really my point. In most free states I have hunted this is not necessary. It's easy to know the state laws and hunt where you find opportunities without having to worry about every single towns issues. Obviously understanding game laws is critical but it's a PITA in MA.

Agreed that it's a PITA. As are the Gun Laws. And knife laws. But, that's the way it is, and it's unlikely to change.

A far as me, I was not piling on you, but pointing out a statement that was not correct. Just as people think that trigger locks are acceptable for handgun transport, or required for non-large-cap long guns, it's a subtle point that gets made "fact" by repetition, though it's not true.

Yes, within the 128, or even 495 belt, available hunting lands are tough to find - after all, "city folks" tend to live there because they want to, just as "country folks" do. And, ordinances not withstanding, much of that area is just too built up, between roads and buildings, to make it a viable area for hunting.

Worse is the political action by Antis - see the thread on Weston, around here somewhere.

Followed the restricted town link and noted this:

Lawrence - no discharge of firearms within one mile of city limits.

How do they enforce that? [laugh] Or does that mean from the outside, in....and there's a core in the center where you can shoot? [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom