Student wearing empty holster cited for 'threatening the safety of campus'

Officer suspended for 5 days without pay AND had to apologize to the student. Well done, University of South Alabama.

A li'l accountability never hurt anybody.

Agreed.

A 5 day suspension is not enough but way more then expected.

Let's face it, in LE to issue a suspension WITHOUT pay is almost unheard of. That sends a strong message to the idiot officer as well as all the others on that campus. Well done by the administration.

This case does illustrate an issue that does not seem to be getting much attention - the use of sworn police officers to enforce, and issue "internal citiations" for behavior that even the involved officers understand is not a violation of the law, but merely enforcement of the policy of a private insitution.

Once a paramilitary force is given "sworn officer status" it should be limited to using that power to enforce laws; not use their authorized use of violence to issue "internal citations for lawful actions that violate rules". The reason I use the term "violence" is that Ii very much doubt the police would respond to a resisting student with "I don't know who you are, but I cannot use any force in this case to detain you or compel you to produce your papers since you are not breaking any law".

FTFY

should of holstered a nutritious banana
Great idea. Then the holster is nothing more than a [STRIKE=LINE]lunch box[/STRIKE] banana clip.
bananaguard._banana-guard-banana-fruit-food-storage-case-guard.jpg

Back
Top Bottom