• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stuck / Seized Shotgun Choke

additionalmc

NES Member
Anybody have any tips on removing a stuck shotgun choke? I tried a cheap universal tool and it just bent the tool without budging the choke.

Anybody have any tips on removing a stuck shotgun choke? I tried a cheap universal tool and it just bent the tool without budging the choke.

Did you swear loudly, and a lot, and smash various wrenches into a table? That is how I got a thread adapter unstuck tonight. You could also try soaking it in oil or solvent overnight to try to ungunk the threads, or apply a heat gun. But you need to swear, to let it know it has beaten you. Only then will it relent and become unstuck. This has been my experience.

I use PB Blaster on stuck threaded things all the time. Was reading on the S&W forums that some guys use it to clean bores so I guess it's safe, which was my one concern with using it on a firearm.

The usual routes are penetrating lubricants like pb blaster or try hot & cold (try to loosen after the cold).

that PB Blaster looks like it's worth a shot. I'm hesitant to apply any heat since it's a camo dipped barrel, maybe a blow dryer wouldn't be bad though

the heat doesn't have to be a torch. Get it warm then wrap it in a bag of ice. Just trying to break the threads free.

Find a small cylindrical container and fill it with penetrating oil, stand the choke end of the barrel in it and let it sit overnight.

The last time I had to do one I used an empty prescription bottle.

If that method does not work, bring it to a gun smith who has the proper stuck choke removal tool.

Stand the shotgun up with the barrel in a bottle of #9 and let it marinate.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 41
the heat doesn't have to be a torch. Get it warm then wrap it in a bag of ice. Just trying to break the threads free.
seized usually = rust. i paid a gunsmith serious cash to remove one for me without distorting the barrel or harming the bluing after anything i tried wouldn't work. after all was said and done an old timer told me to do the following. disclaimer...i never had to try this so this is untried by me. oh, you'll need a cold pack from the freezer on stand by.

-fill a small container with penetrating oil, put the barrel in with the choke down. prop barrel upright, against a wall maybe, and make sure the oil is as high as the choke is into the barrel. let it sit like that for a few days before removing from the container of oil. if it doesn't come out at the end of this step with minimal pressure, go to the next phase.

-boil a pan of water on the stove until it comes to a rolling boil. turn off heat and put the end of the barrel down with the choke in it until barrel is thoroughly heated. (don't know when that is, it's a guesstimate) do not lay the whole barrel into a giant pan of boiled water, just hold the choke end into it.

-wrap the cold pack around the choke end. holding by the cold pack, insert the choke tool and using as much force as you can muster without deforming the choke tool, try to turn choke free.

a couple of his buddies swore by this method. i'm not a metallurgist nor profess to being a shade tree gunsmith. a wives tale? don't know.

i always wondered if the oil on the barrel going into the boiled water would discolor the gun metal a la slight case coloring so i would have wiped the oil off before the plunge into the boiling water if i tried this method.

All good and wise suggestions. The one from icyclefar is the best bet either using PB Blaster or my favorite FREE ALL. I would heat the barrel prior to placing it in to soak. I also agree that if it stays stuck, take it to a gunsmith. One other hint I have used is to put the choke wrench securely in a vise and turn the barrel. You will get far more leverage and it is easier to keep the wrench engaged properly so you don't muck things up. Good luck.

Oil, heat and cold usually works. The barrel and choke are separate parts of different densities, so the heating/cooling may break the bond because they will expand/contract at slightly different rates. Over time, oil should wick into all the spaces.

On old car parts, I've used hot oil heated on a hot plate, then I dispense it into an oil squirt gun and soak the parts.
I've also used a torch and wax on old exhaust manifolds on cars. you can heat that red hot and melt the wax into it and it gets sucked in like solder.

PB blaster is basically psychological support. Kroil will get in there.
By the proper chock tube wrench for your chokes. not obe of the cheap pos universals or the "key" style ones.
just a note: I have been able to get a 99% "frozen" chokes out for friends by simply placing the barrel in a padded vice and using a nice choke tool.
I have a few briley and browning full size wrenches.

if your using the cheap tool supplied with many guns and holding the barrel in your hands or between your legs your going to have problems.

Back
Top Bottom