Stripped Lowers, FA-10, & Beating the AWB

Hi I am a new member and this is my first post.
I have search through many threads and have not found an answer to the questions I have.

Here it goes... I purchased a stripped lower the other day in hopes that owning it would be enough to grandfather me in if there is a new AWB. After I purchased it I was told that in order to be grandfathered in I would have to register it as a rifle. To do that I have to indicate barrel length, cal., etc. on the FA-10. My question is, if I dont own the other pieces to make it a complete rifle is it illegal to file that form? What if I use a friends AR to make a complete rifle and then give the parts back to him? If I do it that way the lower was actually part of a rifle and the FA-10 is legit but now the only thing left in my possession is the stripped lower. How could it be proved either way?

Everything I read on the other threads said that the FA-10 was not required until it is a complete rifle but nothing said it could not be done. I just want to make sure I don't do something I could get in trouble for. [thinking]

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Understood, that matches what all the other threads say, but it is not a complete answer to the questions I have.

What I'm asking is, is there a law against filing it before it is a complete rifle? I plan to build one over the next couple of months but if a new AWB comes through before I'm finished, I'm screwed. I have friends who have ARs and I'm thinking of using one of thiers to make mine into a complete rifle and then give the parts back. That should leave me with a legit "pre-ban" lower. The things I have heard claim that noone will be the wiser if any investigation took place as to whether or not it has even been part of a complete rifle.

there is no reason to do anything until the GOV does something, and as of yet nothing has ben done at the state or Federal level so no action is requires WRT "grandfathering" a.k.a. Ex Post Facto.

don't panic now there will be plenty of time to panic later.

It is already on a 4473 right, and no FA-10 needs to be filed until up to 7 days after it has an upper put on it for the first time, although we could argue constructive possession if you do have an upper in the house with it.

Understood, that matches what all the other threads say, but it is not a complete answer to the questions I have.

What I'm asking is, is there a law against filing it before it is a complete rifle? I plan to build one over the next couple of months but if a new AWB comes through before I'm finished, I'm screwed. I have friends who have ARs and I'm thinking of using one of thiers to make mine into a complete rifle and then give the parts back. That should leave me with a legit "pre-ban" lower. The things I have heard claim that noone will be the wiser if any investigation took place as to whether or not it has even been part of a complete rifle.

I'm no expert and I'm new to this too, but learning very quickly. If you have a stripped lower, it has a serial number on it. If no FA-10 has been completed on it, there is no law saying you can't file an FA-10. In fact, it is done every day. On the FA-10, you need to specify color, high capacity, caliber, barrel length and manufacturer and model. Assuming you have all the parts, you can file the FA-10. Even if you don't have all the parts, you can file the FA-10. Nobody is going to inspect it. When the rifle is complete, if it does not match what you have on the FA-10, you will have to correct the FA-10, but the only things you will ever be correcting on a stripped lower is the barrel length and caliber. That's assuming you don't paint it another color.

ter I purchased it I was told that in order to be grandfathered in I would have to register it as a rifle.
The law has not yet been written, so it is not possible for anyone to say this with certainty, particularly at the federal level. When a lower is sold, the 4473 says "frame", and there is no requirement to file subsequent federal registration.

When grandfathering happens on pre-owned guns, the historically common method (used in CA and Boston) is a one time chance to get registration papers. If it happens that way, you may or may not find it easy to register a stripped lower as a full rifle.

The MA FA-10 record system is sufficiently incomplete, particularly the records from the "blue card" era as to effectively preclude use of existing FA-10 records as the basis for establishing proof of "not possessed before a cutoff date".

In other words, the person who explained that to you was probably having some pulmonary problems. (Head up the rear so far the anal sphincter cuts off the O2 supply to the brain).

First of all thanks to all for helping out a new member.

When I bought this at the gun store it was crazyin there shoulder to shoulder, as I'm sure some of you have experienced recently. Anyway I was told to just go ahead and pick a barrel length etc. and just register it by both gun shop employees and customers. Which is what I would like to do so I can be done and forget about it. I will build it to match the paperwork since I already have a good idea of the specs I want. So it sounds like I should be fine if I were to do that right? Or did I miss something? I dont even know if this is something I could get introuble for anyway, but obviously I do not want to get in any trouble.

If the gun shop already filed the FA-10 then you are covered from a MA perspective. Maybe it's not complete, but you have a piece if paper saying it was. Otherwise no need for the form to be filed. This 'CYA' move the dealers engage in actually works to your benefit in this case.

Federally, it should have been completely assembled prior to the ban going into effect.

Dealer/ffl did not file fa-10 said I had to do it and all would be good. Hard to take anyones word these days though, just need to make sure I dont do anything stupid and get my license pulled, or worse.

How are you doing, PigPknHeat? That was quite a build party we had last night, huh? I'm glad you got your black, 16" ar15 assembled without a hitch... except for that bolt catch roll pin, lol. Hope your finger heals soon. Sorry I had to ask for my parts back, but I need them for my next build.

Back
Top Bottom