Striper fishing

You a shore fisherman or you have access to a boat or kayak? Lots of good areas up that way! I'm inland and it takes a good hour or so to get to any place worth trying.

They have been getting some nice fish down in the Cape Cod Canal - I went out Saturday and we picked up two fish in the mid to upper teens. Not a bad morning! I was lucky I got to nap on the way home since I didn't sleep from the night before. I was dragging the rest of the day and crashed. Balancing on slippery rocks while trying to crank out a pencil popper to fish breaking WAY out is a lot of work.

There are a bunch of guys here on the northshore and I am sure they can offer suggestions. My brother in law likes the Winthrop area, but he is out in a kayak - trolling tube and worm usually. Plum Island (stop in Surfland and they can give you some tips on PI) was HOT a couple of years ago, but last season was considerably slower. Stripers were following the pods of bait and they bait was more offshore. Cost of fuel should be interesting this year for the boat guys!

Early in the season like now it is possible to get fish during the day light hours, but typically, the bite is better when it is dark. The larger fish will move into shallower water looking for an easy meal. Transition times at sunrise, or sunset can be good as well. You have to check the tides charts for the area you are in: look here: http://www.boatma.com/tides/.

I use artificial lures 99% of the time. Are you using lures or bait? You know that you are required to register this season for a saltwater license (no charge, but it gets you into the system because next year we will have to have a saltwater license in order to fish in the ocean: see link here http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_license.htm#federal)

Cape Ann has some good shore spots. Bass Rocks, The Candy Store, the train bridge are all good. Also Pebble Beach and Good Harbor.

I have used poppers in the past with some luck, but mostly use clam. I prefer the clam over mackerel because I cant seem to get the mackerel smell off my hands for a few days. I will have to try the night fishing soon.
Thanks for the heads up on cape ann, definitely will have to try that out.

I lived in Revere during college. I caught my first keeper behind the ballard resturant. I did not keep it because it is like fishing in a dump. I eventually found some tricks to park in nahant without getting a ticket and spent a few years fishig 40 steps. If you do not mind a little walk park in the church parking lot and walk. Plum island is another good spot, but usually crowded. As far as the smell goes you may be in the wrong hobby.

I'm a lifelong Cape Codder so I've hit may a good beach here over the years. A few months ago I bought myself a kayak and I want to try dragging a tube and worm behind it just off shore in Barnstable Harbor.

I've never had much luck at the canal mainly because I just haven't motivated myself enough to fish it the right way. My favorite fishing is driving out on one of the 3 off-road beaches I have a sticker for here, sending out a few sand eels on a rig and plopping back in the chair to just watch the tip of the rod. Lazy man's fishing!

Back
Top Bottom