Storing Other People's Guns

NES Member
My Friend is moving to R.I. He needs me to hold his guns until he gets his license there. Is this illegal for me to do, or is there any papers to fill out?

Yes you can hold them for him as long as you have the correct license to do so (i.e. he has a large cap hand gun, you need a class A). There is no paperwork to fill out as long as it's only temporary.

Thanks I have a LTC and it's only untill he can get his. He's still moving his stuff in right now. So there no prob. It's a dam good thing you people don't charge me. I'd be broke by now [wink]

Lynne is correct. You only need to do paperwork on a transfer of ownership or bringing guns into the state (assuming you own them).

This case, it's fine for you to store them for him.

This begs another question. Suppose, for some obscure reason, the police decide to check your house and inventory your firearms. Should you have something which states that you are holding them for a friend? Otherwise, how would you prove that you are not in possession of an unregistered firearm (applicable to the People's Commonwealth mainly)?

I know that this can be shown after the fact by checking your friend's FA-10s at the CHSB, but how about when the officer is holding the firearm and looking you in the face?

FPrice said:
This begs another question. Suppose, for some obscure reason, the police decide to check your house and inventory your firearms. Should you have something which states that you are holding them for a friend? Otherwise, how would you prove that you are not in possession of an unregistered firearm (applicable to the People's Commonwealth mainly)?

I know that this can be shown after the fact by checking your friend's FA-10s at the CHSB, but how about when the officer is holding the firearm and looking you in the face?

Given that they have a reason for searching your home for firearms, you tell them that you are holding it for your friend, and, they can check on the serial number to verify it belongs to him. I'm keeping it simple. I'm sure others will chime in.

I agree with Lynne.

There is NO CRIME in possessing an "unregistered" firearm.

About 1/2 of my firearms are "unregistered". 100% of those who move into MA with their guns SHOULD BE "unregistered".

FYI, when CHSB computerized all the gun registration/transfer records, they consciously made a few decisions:

- They threw out all the "blue cards". These were the private sale/registration FA-10s that were used for probably 30 years. None of these guns are in the database and are thus "unregistered".

- They only computerized dealer registration/transfer records for guns after 1986 IIRC. So any sales or registrations prior to that date were not put in the database and are thus "unregistered".

LenS said:
I agree with Lynne.

There is NO CRIME in possessing an "unregistered" firearm.

About 1/2 of my firearms are "unregistered". 100% of those who move into MA with their guns SHOULD BE "unregistered".

FYI, when CHSB computerized all the gun registration/transfer records, they consciously made a few decisions:

- They threw out all the "blue cards". These were the private sale/registration FA-10s that were used for probably 30 years. None of these guns are in the database and are thus "unregistered".

- They only computerized dealer registration/transfer records for guns after 1986 IIRC. So any sales or registrations prior to that date were not put in the database and are thus "unregistered".

If there is no crime in owning an unregistered firearm, then why do you need to declare inherited guns?

I suppose if those guns were registered to someone else, sure...

Jay G said:
If there is no crime in owning an unregistered firearm, then why do you need to declare inherited guns?

I suppose if those guns were registered to someone else, sure...

Because the Nazi state in which we live wants us to.

This is one case where the plain text of the law actually seems to apply. (I'm sure that they'll fix this oversight soon. Can't have commoners understanding the laws; maybe they'll have to start translating them into Latin or Sanskrit before publication.)

The text requires an FA-10 for any resident who receives, purchases, etc. a firearm from any source other than an MA lichesed dealer. When you move into state with you personal firearms, you aren't receiving, etc. firearms. When you purchased them before moving here, you weren't a resident. So you don't need to file an FA-10 in this situation. Inheretance, private sales, C&R purchases from out of state and most other situations do fall into the "resident receiving a firearm" language, so the FA-10 is required.

Ken

KMaurer said:
This is one case where the plain text of the law actually seems to apply.

Good heavens...it was a good thing I was sitting down when I read that. I thought hell had frozen over for a moment.

[wink]

Back
Top Bottom