Storage question

Okay I moved from a house to a condo and used to store my firearms in a Homak style cabinet (not a real safe) I do not have room for it in my living room or bedroom. I was thinking of putting it in my garage which is attached but not heated, what are the risks? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe you could get/make on of those "coffee table" gun lockers? Or a "deacon's bench" with a steel locker in it?

Thanks for the advice, the condo is a 3 level townhouse style with the garage being the lowest point and in the summer the garage is the coolest (no windows) part of the condo and the MBR (the highest room in the condo) the warmest. I figured (correct me if I am wrong) as long as the temp is somewhat constant that would be ok, bottom line I have to do something.

You can get some desiccant to packets to throw in the bottom of the safe to keep things dry. I don't know about commercial stuff, but the desiccant used in chemistry labs can be "recharged" by heating it up in an oven to dry it out. The kind that I used in school has a color change mechanism so that it goes from blue to pink as it gets saturated with water.

+1 on the Goldenrod. I've had one running in a steel cabinet in an unheated building and another in the safe indoors for the last 8 years - nothing in it has rusted. Condensation is a big problem with unheated storage. Since water will condense on colder than ambient surfaces, such as a rifle in a cabinet as the air temp goes up in the morning, the Goldenrod keeps the contents of the cabinet slightly above the air temperature, preventing that condensate from forming.

Dessicant will work, too, but it can only remove a finite amount of water from the air until it stops working, and needs recharging or replacement. This works better in an air-tight container, where no new damp air is coming in.

A Goldenrod heater can just be placed on the bottom of the cabinet. You'd get the same effect from putting a light bulb in there, but it won't last, and will need to be checked. If it burned out during a humid week with large day and night temperature swings, condensation and rust can happen very quickly.

Found that out the hard way. [sad]

However, if I hadn't rusted those dies, I never would have discovered how well Evapo-rust works.

I ended up putting two Golden Rods in my safe when I put it in the basement. It's humid in the summer, but not wet. So one rod was in there and I still saw some rust forming on an old SA Revolver. So, I put in a second and it's been fine. I'm just not sure how well one Rod would work in a Garage that's most likely not isulated and/or tight because of an open(ish) garage door.

I'm actually in the exact same situation as well. From what I read, as long as I got a dehumdifier in the safe (the one I'm looking at comes with one). I should be ok??

Back
Top Bottom