• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storage of loose rounds

How do you store ammo right after you load it? Does leaving the loose rounds in a bin or dumping them from one bin to another have any ill effects on accuracy? I'm asking about match ammo. I load a lot more in one sitting than I will immediately shoot. I'd like to just pour them from the small bin on the 550 into a larger bin or can until I grab what I need for a given day. Right now I handle them like precious glassware but I get the idea that that is not really necessary.

I think it comes down to your level of "match" . I have noticed some of my 3006 Hp match loads the tip gets dinged up when I bulk them into a box loose. I cant delivery the rounds down range to the accuracy potential of my rifle or loads so I don't fret much over it.....now if I had a big money bench gun and was buying bullets that cost several dollars and not a few dimes I would handle them with white gloves.

I always bought federal rifle ammo and kept all of those plastic holders they came with so when I reload I just re-use those. I think they do a good enough job for storing in ammo cans and ammo pouches. The 100 round cartridge boxes and even the 20 round cartridge boxes are just too bulky for me.

I purchased a case (10 boxes) of 100 round plastic ammo boxes for every caliber I reload. Cost about $20 from Midway or Brownells. I usually reload 500-1000 rounds at a time, and as I reload I put my loaded ammo right into the boxes. I find it very helpful because it helps me keep count of how many rounds I've loaded, and allows a visual inspection for OAL and primer seating.

The cases hold up well at the range, too, and help keep round counts (and keep my ammo separate at comptitions and group shoots).

If I reload more than 1,000 rounds (or reload while the ammo boxes are full), I usually empty the ammo boxes that are still full into an ammo can or plastic tote/tupperware, but that rarely happens with my match ammo (just my action shooting .45 and 9mm).

However, I'd think you'd really need to beat the hell out of your ammo (or be really, really good) to cause a noticable change in accuracy from handling.

Last edited:
I always bought federal rifle ammo and kept all of those plastic holders they came with so when I reload I just re-use those. I think they do a good enough job for storing in ammo cans and ammo pouches. The 100 round cartridge boxes and even the 20 round cartridge boxes are just too bulky for me.

This.

I have more than I need. About a Paper box full I think. Can have some if ya want

I CRAFT my rifle rounds, one at a time. They go right into an ammo box.

In contrast, I churn out pistol rounds by the hundreds. They go into tubs in bulk and are used for plinking that way.

If I visually inspect and chamber check them, they go into ammo boxes. So for me, if a round is in an ammo box, its been QCd and is fit for match use.

So in the end, the vast majority of my rounds never end up in ammo boxes. They are either in an old baby forumula container or in a ziploc bag locked in an ammo can.

Last edited:
My long distance/accuracy 223 loads (once fired military brass and expensive Sierra 69 gr HPBT bullets) go into plastic ammo boxes. Everything else goes into one quart zip lock freezer bags. These bags are easy to handle, the ammo is protected from the elements, and you can use the empty bag to store your brass.

Back
Top Bottom