Steel Plate Ammo

At the Mass Rifle plate shoot, I felt that some of my 115gr standard pressure 9mm rounds were not taking the targets down. I thought it was my imagination while I was shooting, but I clearly saw another man shooting a 9mm getting hits with no plate reaction. I had the same feeling that my rounds were too weak when shooting the revolver with 110gr .38 Specials too. Yes, the hits were low on the poppers, but should I be using 158s in .38 Special and 147s in the 9MM?

Thanks, Sydney

Often steel Pepper Poppers are "calibrated" by shooting a 115 grain 9mm at the circular center. If you hit the steel lower then that you may not knock the popper down.

For a given round, a heaver bullet often has less energy but more momentum, which I find to be a better indicator of “Knock Down Power” in steel targets.

So yes try 124gr or 147 gr bullets and see if there is a difference in “KDP”, also look for a change in accuracy and function in the firearm/ammo combination you are using.

Respectfully,

jkelly

It is a Fine Line

Between a popper setting that falls with a minor caliber hit and a popper that falls down by itself, especially in the windy outdoors.

It is a PITA when one falls over by itself before the start signal, so I suspect that many ROs set the poppers forward a wee bit too far for 9mm 115gr @1100 FPS.

I use a 153gr lead round-nose bullet at 850 FPS in my G17. It does the job nicely!.

Back
Top Bottom