Steel Match - Harvard Sportsman Club - 11-15-08 ***Results added

PMD

Since USPSA is winding down for the season we've decided to put together a steel match at Harvard.

This will be an "informal" Steel Match and not an "official" SCSA match.
The hope is to introduce or re-introduce you to the sport of steel shooting - which is fun and challenging.

We plan to set up four to five steel stages - three to four Steel Challenge stages and one Pro-Am style stage.
For the Steel Challenge portion of the match we will be using the rules set forth by the Steel Challenge Shooting Association "SCSA" http://steelchallenge.com/scsa-clubs/scsa-rules/
Right now we are planning to setup "Roundabout", "Smoke & Hope", "Five to Go" and "Accelerator" or "Pendulum" - but this may change.

The "Pro-Am" stage will be similar to how the match was run this past year in Tulsa.
The rules http://www.usshootingacademy.com/CM_Files/2008 Pro-Am Rules.pdf would vary a little as the Pro-Am had PAR times - we'd run this stage similar to their "Tie Breaker Stage" where any target left standing would add 3sec to the total time.
We will set between 30 to 40 knock over type targets (poppers and knock down plates). Only Ten rounds can be loaded in a mag and targets will need to be engaged from multiple locations - so there will be some movement and a need for multiple mags and mag holders.
Please note that 22 rimfire will not be allowed on this stage for safety reasons.

We are not charging an entry fee for this match in an effort to grow Steel Shooting in our area. We will also plan to have a vendor selling food.

Multiple entries may be allowed - but that may change depending on the number of shooters.

Categories and equipment:

Main Match - Center Fire Revolver or Auto (all stages):
Two classes - Open and Stock.

Rimfire Match - (limited to just the SCSA stages only):
Two classes - Open Rimfire and Stock Rimfire)

Eye protection AND ear protection, are required!

All competitors must have safe equipment.
Holsters are required for the Main Match (Center Fire Shooting).
Holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist and must retain the gun - drawing from concealed carry is not allowed.
Mag Holders are required for the Pro-Am stage - but not required for the SCSA stage.

If a Competitors does not have proper mag holders they can still shoot just the Steel Challenge stages.

The Rimfire start position will be from the "low ready" pointing the muzzle at a painted spot in front of the shooting box.

To ensure a smoothly running match competitors should try to bring at least five mags. The minimum round count will be just under 140 - I'd recommend bringing 200-250rounds.
There will be no multiple projectile or magnum loads allowed. All rounds must travel a minimum of 750 FPS. Light target ammo is suggested (120-140pf).

If you are a new shooter or have not shot this type of match before please notify each Stage RO.

In order for this match to run smoothly we'll need everyone's help in setting steel and painting targets as well as help calling the line.

Setup will take place the morning of the match - if you'd like to help please send me an e-mail.

Shooters meeting will hopefully be at 9:00am and shooting will hopefully start at 9:30am (depends how long the set-up takes).

All Safety rules will apply including USPSA and SCSA Rules.
The range is cold! Handguns will not be loaded except as directed by Match Officials.
Gun handling at designated "Safe Areas" only.

Please also keep in mind that this is an "informal" match and we will do our best to try and make it run smoothly.

If you have any questions please e-mail me [email protected]

If you plan to attend please e-mail so I can get an approximate number of shooters.

Thanks.
Paul Dandini

Last edited:
Well the weather could be better for the steel shoot tomorrow but we'll have cover
at all the stages shooting positions so it shouldn't matter anyway.
('cept of course the run-n-gun knock down/Pro-Am stage...just shoot fast and you won't get too wet [smile])
Looks to be a bit warmer also so that's a plus !

See you all there.

(wonder how the smoke is gonna be for those Cowboy shooters [shocked])

Its that time of year again Dave. Time for me to dust off the 627's for steel shooting. I converted the press over from 40 to 38 a couple of nights ago and have done some marathon pressing sessions. Hopefully I will make it down tomorrow to see how I can do with the round guns.

Paul, I want to extend a BIG thank you to all involved in hosting this match.
I had a great time and look forward to shooting more events like this at Harvard.
I had the pleasure of meeting and shooting with Scrivener, Underwhere, Hanwei, Jasper, willdeni51 and lord1234.

it was also excellent to meet all of you. i got to watch (and learn!) a ton, and by the end of the day, our RO was commenting on my increasingly better draw! (doesnt hurt that Smoke&Hope = my favorite stage ever...shot it in 4.45, which isnt bad seeing as its the first time ive used my glock for it).

i'll definately be back out! im actually going to mystic valley tomorrow with a local buddy to try out his ruger mkIII (and perhaps do a bit of .22lr bullseye shooting....good CHEAP fun!)

thanks for a great day guys. Leo learned a ton just watching. we'll see if we can get him shooting next time around :)

Yea, thanks a ton to those that organized this event. While I didn't get a chance to shoot, as jasper said, I managed to learn a lot by watching. Don't forget front row first...that way you don't have to wait to get to the back row

Results are attached - I'll try to e-mail an Excell file later this week.

A big thanks to ROs and those who helped set-up and breakdown.
The turnout was not too bad despite the rain - thanks for braving the elements...

If you have any questions with the results please let me know.

Paul

Attachments

• Harvard 11-15-08.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 84
What, revos and autos are lumped TOGETHER?! What's up with THAT?

As noted:

As noted:

Which could also be interpreted - as those who compete in USPSA and IDPA type events - that there would be an Open and Stock class for BOTH revolver and auto. The idea of 6-shot revolvers competing against 10-shot autos is a bit aberrant.

But it was trigger time and a lot of fun, regardless.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

29kotop.jpg

Which could also be interpreted - as those who compete in USPSA and IDPA type events - that there would be an Open and Stock class for BOTH revolver and auto. The idea of 6-shot revolvers competing against 10-shot autos is a bit aberrant.

But it was trigger time and a lot of fun, regardless.

Keith,
This event was not a USPSA or IDPA event - it was an "Informal" Steel match.
Sorry if you misinterpreted - the score sheets clearly listed only only four classes: Open, Stock, Rimfire Open and Rimfire Iron.

As an FYI - at the Steel Challenge World Shoot and US Nationals - in the main match everyone shoots in the "Open Class" division for prizes (yes revos against autos, etc.) at those matches they also have sub-divisions - for other prizes.

At the Pro-AM match there are only two categories - Open and Stock.

Please contact me via e-mail if you have additional concerns or comments -
Paul

This event was not a USPSA or IDPA event - it was an "Informal" Steel match.

Sorry if you misinterpreted - the score sheets clearly listed only only four classes: Open, Stock, Rimfire Open and Rimfire Iron.

That they did. My only steel has been 2 events at Wallum Lake, where wheel guns and bottom feeders competed separately. I might have brought the SVI had I realized, but then again, maybe not. It's always fun to give the revo an airing. [wink]

At any rate, it was fun and I look forward to you getting the program up and running.

Great match. I particularly enjoyed the Pro Am stage. I would love to see more of these matches at Harvard. Thanks, Paul.

Great job Paul. Thanks to Rich, Dan and Dave too. I am sure I am missing others.

It took a little bit of time to get used to being back in the driver's seat of my round guns. I had a great time with them. I only wish I had an auto loader for the pro-am stage. It would have made a big difference for me on that one.

Nice work Hanwei and Bro!

Paul if you need help setting more of these up I am willing to volunteer whatever time that I have.

Whitey, Thanks for the compliment.
I'd feel better if my brother's name was underneath mine though.

Like last time :)

And the time before :)

The Pro-Am was, indeed, a blast; a 35-round count stage is fun. Of course, us wheelgunners spend most of our time reloading, but that's why we use moon clips.

The Pro-Am was, indeed, a blast; a 35-round count stage is fun. Of course, us wheelgunners spend most of our time reloading, but that's why we use moon clips.

Just cant seem to re-load it as fast as I should be able to! Not to mention when you forget to count, that extra trigger pull on an empty chamber and unplanned reload will get you every time... [thinking] At least three times on the pro-am stage for me. 8 -8 -8 -8 I gotta keep repeating that to my self! [laugh]

The damn limited pistol has me all screwed up!

Just cant seem to re-load it as fast as I should be able to! Not to mention when you forget to count, that extra trigger pull on an empty chamber and unplanned reload will get you every time... [thinking] At least three times on the pro-am stage for me. 8 -8 -8 -8 I gotta keep repeating that to my self! [laugh]

Eight? Whiner - I carry a SIX gun, as God and Colonel Colt intended.

Back
Top Bottom