Steel-Cased Reloads . . .

I’ve often wondered if anyone has tried reloaded the steel or aluminum once fired cases, well I bumped into this article that seems to answer the question…I don't think that I’ll ever try it though.
shooter.gif

Steel-Cased Reloads, Cracks, And Fireforming Wildcat Cases

By Lane Pearce

ST_steelcasedreloads_200805-A.jpg

The author successfully reloaded Russian .45 ACP steel cases several times with excellent results. He recommends lightly lubing them before resizing with a carbide die.

ST_steelcasedreloads_200805-A1.jpg

Lane experienced failures of steel cases in three out of 30 cases that he handloaded up to three times. The failures included case-wall bulges and ruptures.​

But what about the steel and aluminum cases? Can they be reloaded? The aluminum cases are typically Berdan-primed. I understand the munitions makers do this to discourage us from reloading them. So, even though they are perfectly safe for one firing, you shouldn’t attempt to reuse aluminum cases. (cont.)

I don't really see the point of not using brass for reloading. As long as the
loads aren't too obnoxious on a lot of calibers a given piece of brass seems to
last a pretty long time.

I suppose if you had like drums full of once fired wolf cases, and they were
easy enough to prep, you could load them with the intention of just throwing them away after one loading.

Blazer AL though... IMO theres a reason the manufacturer doesn't want
anyone reloading those cases- and it's because they're basically only strong
enough to withstand one firing. I've seen a lot of these cases just ground
into bits by some foot traffic at one of the ranges I go to. I think they're
too brittle to take more than one firing.

-Mike

I personally don't reload myself but am looking in to doing it sooner rather than later. Assuming you're doing standard loads for the most part and no +p when you reload cases, about how long will say a decent piece of let's say .45 acp brass last you? I tell ya, i'm quite dissapointed that steel cases don't reload so well. That's a lot of what I shot initially until I learned it basically can't happen or shouldn't be done.

You can load .45 ACP almost indefinitely. You'll likely lose it before you have to stop reloading it.

I have cases on which you can no longer read the headstamp.

I have never lost a 9mm to neck splitting. 357&44 mag. yes, but no other pistol brass. Rifle needs annealing every now & then.

I've often had to scrap 9mm brass because of loose primer pockets. That doesn't seem to happen with .45 ACP.

Back
Top Bottom