Steel cased ammo

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Anyone used Wolf steel cased ammo in their 1911? I bought a cuppla boxes cheep and am concernd about it hurting the extractor.

The dealer, whom I know and trust, told me that that's what was used during the war and it didn't seem to hurt them then and now they are teflon(?) coated which makes them even easier on the gun. I never heard that steel cases were used during the war.

I have no prob using it in my revolvers and milsurp rifles but this makes me wonder if i should.

Whatcha think? Bad juju or not?

I've put over 1,000 rounds of Wolf .45 FMJ ammo though my S&W 1911. Works like a charm. Maybe a little more cleaning in the bore (but nothing worth writing home about) and some of that polymer crap will come off on the chamber, but it's never caused a jam...just need to run a few patches in the chamber.

Wolf is my ideal sand pit ammo since yer not gonna reload them, and I'm sure they rot away pretty darn fast when left to the elements.

And the price is right! [smile]

-Weer'd Beard

PS: I'm refering to this stuff
http://www.wolfammo.com/bs_pistol_45auto.htm
(I'm sure you're talking about the same)

I had a TON of people give me dirty looks at the club, and tell me they'd never use Wolf because of the horrible jams it caused.

Since I was having no problems at all, I had to ask the guys at Collectors about it. Turns out Wolf used to sell steel cases that were coated with laquer, rather than that polymer stuff, and that used to gum up the guns.

Last edited:
ive never run it through a 1911, but it runs great through all the mgs. even the thompson and grease gun run it great. ive used (almost literally) a ton of wolf ammo through various guns and all it works great. the polymer coated stuff runs alot better than the laquer coated in some of the pickier guns.

Back
Top Bottom