Std Catalog of Military Firearms - 4th Edition

USMA-82

NES Member
If you are a Milsurp Collector, I have two words for you... GET IT!

This new edition (Released in October 2007) is a great reference with descriptions of military pistols, rifles and machineguns, with pictures and updated prices. The editor, Phil Peterson, has updated alot of information, and added bayonet entries as well. The price ranges are only a guide, of course, but they seem much more realistic than those from the 2005 edition. As an added bonus, the current BATF list of Curios and Relics (through May 2006) is included in the back of the book.

Listed price is $29.99, but much cheaper at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Cata...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196736083&sr=8-1

Strongly recommended!

And you 'll get the same reply from a seller that I did showing up with the current airgun blue book - " It's just a book." [wink]

Good books like these are nice for the info but some of the pricing is off due to " local conditions ", which the books will tell you happens.

The dealer listed above was KTP and the rifle in question was an Anschutz Model 250 match air rifle. A 100% rifle listed in the book was $450. KTP had a price on it of $595. I had to dust off the rifle to see the condition. The rifle wasn't 100% - there is a FWB 300S rear sight on the rifle. Everything else on it was okay from the outside. I managed to get them down to $535 for it and I didn't feel too bad for that. Later I found out something bad with the rifle... age had taken a toll on the plastic breech seal. The seal was brittle and coming apart and Anschutz no longer makes parts for these rifles. I finally located a part from a airgunsmith in CO for $51.25 shipped!! I wish I had deeper pockets because KTP does have a FWB 300 there and one other interesting rifle too ( besides my DW Pointman in 10mm but we won't go there! )

Joe R.

Yup, been there.

Whenever I'm sizing up a deal, it usually involves several price checks:

- What have I seen it go for at gun shows?
- What have I seen it go for at gun shops?
- What seems to be the average price for similar "sold" items on the auction sites?
- What do the latest reference books list?
- What have I seen it sold for on gun forums?
- What is the price range from the C&R Bud's website?

Armed with all this information, I make an estimate on what the actual "value" is for the gun, and make my offer. But after all this, it's really all about what you're willing to pay for it, isn't it? If you want it bad enough (last piece in a collection, rare item, etc), you're going to throw reason out the window and go for it.

Just ask Milsurps 4 Me.....

Did the same idea when I bought the Radom WZ-98A rifle. All the information sites listed price ranges and I was comfortable that the rifle's price was reasonable. The part that sold me was the only real mistake wrong is the number on the back of the striker is the only one that doesn't match.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom