Starting to reload 9mm...some questions

I bought an old Hornady Projector press...its old but was cheap...my new LNL has been backordered for 2 months now. I got it all set up today and have some newbie questions.

I bought a box of cast bullets style #356242, the box says they are 124 grain. The only reloading data I have is from the Lee Modern Reloading book. It says to start with 3.3 and go up to 4.0 grains of 231 powder, the Min OAL spec is 1.095 for this set of load data (sound right?). The maximum OAL spec for 9mm is 1.169 which brings me to ask the question. What length should I be using?

I made a dummy round to the 1.169 length and it chambers just fine in my M&P. I understand that seating the bullet closer to the 1.095 increases the pressure which I am assuming is the reason they are telling me to not make the OAL less than 1.095. I would also assume that setting my press for either extreme is not wise because this would not allow for any natural variation in the loading process. What do I need to know about this? Any advice?

Another related question. The priming feature is not all that great on this press, so I bought a universal decapping die and a Lee Autoprime. My plan is to pop out the primer in bulk then prime the brass in bulk. The first stage of my press is a decappig die with the pin removed (case sizing only). Is there any risk to doing a full case resize on primed brass?

Thanks

I use 4.0 gr of Titegroup on plated 124gr bullets for shooting steel. When I used 231 I think it was 4.2 or 4.3.

I load mine at 1.169.

Make a few batches of 10 or 20 and see which one gives you the best group.

Back
Top Bottom