Starting a build: AR15

RGuns BCG
RGuns lower parts kit
I bought some furniture, but I think I'm going to return it, not sure yet

We both bought a BCG off of Rguns in the last 24 hours. I just put down the wallet and went to this thread to mention them and noticed you'd also found them.

I've got a few things to return or resell as well:
1. Some of the Magpul stuff I grabbed wont work.
2. I wasn't sure about the UTG mil-spec tube and heavy duty buffer, so I've got a few extra options around.
3. Wasn't sure of barrel yet, so acquired both carbine and rifle length gas parts. Maybe I'll keep the spares for the "next" build??
4. And.. well, I had a second thought about the NFA poly lower, so I added a Quinten Defense lower to match the upper I've already paid into. <G>

Picked up a couple of mounts for my various Surefire lights to play with. I think my rail furniture will work out, but that's the easiest thing to change.

Now... Barrel... Howd you find the 1:7 BCM in stock?

nm, I see them now. I was looking at the M4 not the midlength pages. Not sure if I can spring for one now. (Was hoping for something about half the cost.)

Last edited:
So I guess I'm now building two AR's not just one... ;) Picked up a SOTA 1:9 16" M4 profile non-chrome barrel and some parts for that system.

Will keep an eye out for a 16" SOCOM 1:7 chrome lined, and/or something nice that's rifle length which calls to me. (Since I've now got two of everything else!.) I'll put together the SOTA with the first Lower I get, now have a second upper on the way, and based on how that goes will finalize the second build.

So it looks like I'm transitioning to:
Build A: 16" 1:9 twist Plinker with cheap hardware and polymer lower
Build 1: 20" BCM/DD/Similar with Quinten Defense Lower/Upper

Build A will be fully Ambi. Build 1 will be left-hand only (probably)

I'm going to try out FSB/rear handle sights for the Build A. I have no idea what will work with Build 1 yet.

Last edited:
Nice Lower, Ron! Glad they could hook you up with that graphic.

.... spent a minute or two and setup some boxes for parts on a shelf in the basement... ./waits patiently. ;)

Also, picked up a few spare naked dust covers. I'm sending a bunch of instrument stuff in for HAIII anodizing in the next week and think I'm going to ask they to "sample cover" the covers for me to check their various colors. See if any of them work for some of the rail parts.

Have half a design for a custom set of sights I may send a local machinist.

I'm going to be getting a red/green dot for this as primary optics, so I picked up some gen1 magpul sights for backups on the cheap.

All the important stuff is going to take a while to get here. In the meantime, I've been reading, learning and researching about free float handguards

sent from the Times Two Tavern via Nexus 7

Yes. I'm looking for something fairly robust with some magnification. Not a lot, but some....

I don't know your budget, but Leupold CQ/T is really nice, its a true 1x, and has 1-3x turn style to adjust. Illuminated with battery, but also is black without power. Very nice optic. But the price tag is up there as well. You can pick a used one up for 600-700, I believe the new ones are 1k ish

Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T 1-3x14 Tactical Rifle Scope, Matte Black, Illuminated Reticle 67670

call brownells and talk with an ar expert, or maybe sinclair they have a lot

of info and i'm sure they can point you in the right direction, I called

sinclair last week and got more info than i could absorb.

Not to thread jack but I have a question and didn't wanna start a new thread...
I can't find a complete A2 buffer tube kit. What parts are needed in order to mount the butt stock onto the lower?

That's a nice forearm, I've installed a few of them. Some things that you should pay attention to when installing it:
- it has very fine pitched threads and you can easily cross thread during installation.
- lining the upper rail while torquing the lock ring is going to take a couple tries. once you have it aligned, you can gently clamp the receiver and the forearm together along the top rail to torque the lock nut.

what are you using for a gas block? with the cutout on the rail i'm gonna guess a F marked FSB?

That's a nice forearm, I've installed a few of them. Some things that you should pay attention to when installing it:
- it has very fine pitched threads and you can easily cross thread during installation.
- lining the upper rail while torquing the lock ring is going to take a couple tries. once you have it aligned, you can gently clamp the receiver and the forearm together along the top rail to torque the lock nut.

what are you using for a gas block? with the cutout on the rail i'm gonna guess a F marked FSB?

I hadn't thought of it. See,? Rookie lol. Got any advice on that? I figured one with the pic rail on top to fill the spot.

Honestly, I don't recall seeing the gap. Damn it!

That's because I put the wrong link up.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...oth-quad-rail-ar-15-mid-length-aluminum-matte

See, you quit drinking and you forget how to use teh interwebs

Last edited:
Well, I think I have collected/ordered everything I need. The only things I am waiting on are the BCG, stripped upper from the group buy and the lower parts kit.

I have an extra barrel nut and delta kit......

So I ended up buying a PSA lpk w/o trigger group, because I didn't read and boned myself. Got it in 4 days. So I put the mag release in. That's it. Need to find time and tools. The bolt catch on the lower where the pin goes looks like there is a threaded pin in there. I'll play with it more tomorrow....

sent from the T3

So I ended up buying a PSA lpk w/o trigger group, because I didn't read and boned myself. Got it in 4 days. So I put the mag release in. That's it. Need to find time and tools. The bolt catch on the lower where the pin goes looks like there is a threaded pin in there. I'll play with it more tomorrow....

sent from the T3

It's easy to assemble a lower. I used no special roll pin punches or anything. I used needle nose pliers and a hammer for everything.

Keep the awesome tips rolling. I have a Cub Scouts banquet tomorrow, then I'm gonna tackle it.

sent from the T3

I'm on my phone or I'd rep you for this. I'll do it when I get to my pc. Nothing warms my heart more than a pack of scouts saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom