Standards for any milsurp collection

Ryan137

NES Member
I recently bought a couple mosin (91/30+m44) and now I'm looking to start collecting some other mil surp rifles. What are some rifles that should be standard in a collection? Thanks for any help

i'd say reps from allies and from krautz
you should definitely get:
svt-38 or svt-40
91/30 sniper
m1 garand
m1 carbine
Springfield 1903
lee-enfield mk3 or earlier
mauser k98
if you want to branch off into sub-guns you can get:
PPSh-41
PPS-43
grease gun
thompson
i doubt you will find these
mp38 or 40
stg44

Depends entirely on the person collecting. Personally, I'm not going to be happy until I have an M1A, 91/30, m44, SKS... I have a laundry list at home, not sure what's on it any more to be honest. Some people only collect a single rifle in all it's variations; for example the 91/30 from every manufacturer with all matching markings... that at least a couple dozen rifles, unless I miss my guess and even more if you expand that to include paratrooper variants and the other versions of mosin.

You could spend years completing "the World War" collection alone.

Complex question that is only answerable by the collector themselves.

Edit ^ That's a section of my laundry list [laugh2]

Some folks go by conflict or by country of origin or by caliber or by model family or just find guns that are cool to them.

e.g. acquire long guns used in WWI
Acquire German long guns
Acquire 7.62x54r guns.
Acquire variants of the Enfield line of bolt actions.

There are no standards you collect what you like. Firearms collecting is a love affair if the gun doesn't speak to you don't collect it. That said no collection is complete without at least 2 of the following 3...M1 Garand, K98 Mauser, No4 Mk1 Enfield.....HAHAHA just my egotistical opinion!

I kind of stuck loosely to 'country of origin' of the weapon, but not necessarily where the weapon was made. After a couple of 91/30's I got some T53s, SKSs, Nagant Revolvers, a couple more 91/30s, an M44, and then a few AKs.

A lot of these were not Russian guns, but were based on Russian guns.

I chose this route because Russian ammo is cheap and easy to find, and the guns are cheap and easy to find. I was afraid if I started trying to collect German, British, or US guns, I'd go broke too fast.

Careful, or your basement will look like this!!!

this is a really old picture by the way, it looks much worse now.[wink]

I'm not even bothering with the pictures of handguns

Seriously collect what you want. that is the fun part

296140_2285077377010_1551170463_2497823_1158605_n_zpsc62ba293.jpg

you want shooters you should probably stick with the same caliber. Lookup Martin's threads, once you think that he has it all he pulls crazy odd ball out of nowhere.

Get C&R license and your collection will find YOU! [laugh]

You might want to ask yourself a few questions.
1. Are you looking to collect to have mint rare or valuable items?
2. Looking for a general representive collection ie guns of WWII and or shooter collection.
For me the standards would be at least the 4 big players in WWII .
WWII
M1 GARAND
M1 carbine
1903/1903a3
M1917
Mosin nagant rifles/carbines
K9
British enfield
Arisaka
Then of course there's the pistols. Wich I only have a 1944 p38.
Of course its all in interests
I also haven the standard C&R offerings like Cz 82, 52. TT33 variants.
I'm all over the place in my "collecting" I like to shoot my guns so a good amount of my decission is based on ammmo availability or reloading potential.

If you were smart you would not collect guns. It is addicting.

That being said, I started with the major battle rifle from the big players in WWII.

That would be the Carcano, the Arisaka, the Enfield No. 4, the K98, the Garand and the Mosin 9/30.

From there I went to variations with in that genre. Such as the Mosin M44 and M38, the Finn line of Mosins, the Enfield No. 1 and No. 5 etc. etc.

But you will discover many branches in gun collecting that you can go down. Some of us focus on different things that become our expertise.

So I would pick a simple goal and move on from there. Take pics and post as you go along. It is good to share.

Pick a theme to start with. Like others said, pick a conflict or a country. If I ever start accumulating again, I'd like to have every US rifle (I have a Garand, M1 Carbine, and some ARs.) and the rifles of WW2 (I have a Russian Mosin 91/30). Kar98, enfield, and a 1903A3 are next on my list.

Not really sure why anyone would give a damn about a "standard" for collecting. Buy what you like and what you can afford.... research the hell out of what you are buying, and have fun!

Nothing special standard stand alone dehumidifier, 2 75w lightbulbs burning 24/7

This collection unfortunately no more due to a custody dispute.

But was amassed via inheritance, and pre saving private Ryan cheap milsurp prices.

Started with one each model, then snowballed to each maker, serial number range, and variation.

Last edited:
All good answers, above. Collect as collecting leads you.

My intentions began with long bolt guns, without a thought for carbines. Now there are 74 carbines. Collecting took me down that path, somehow.

When you DO decide what collecting path you want to take, do yourself a favor and do some research ahead of time. Buy one of the "collector" books that focuses on that particular gun or series of guns, and know what you're buying before you buy. Then do some pricing on the auction boards (sold prices, not unsold prices) and check this out to see if you're in the ballpark:

Manowar's -- Military Firearm Prices

Bottom line - be prepared ahead of time, and something at the right price might drop in your lap. If you are knowledgeable, you will create some "collector equity" at time of purchase. And when the time comes, be prepared to upgrade by selling an example not quite up to your standards. You'll be surprised how your collection focus will wander as you discover some neat guns you never knew existed. Have fun!

Although no one has mentioned handguns per O.P., you can fit a lot more of them in a small space! Just as collectible as rifles and carbines...

M1911/A1
Luger
P38
Webley
Nambu
Beretta
Sauer
CZ
HSc
FN
Walther

....among others

Don't think anyone mentioned the M17; becoming popular lately...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom