Stand Your Ground Say No on HB 135

Fellow Citizen

There's no time to WASTE.

I need you to contact your State Representative(s) right away at (603) 271-3661.

Click here to look up your member(s).

HB-135, the REPEAL of Stand Your Ground is going to be up for a vote this week.

Urge then to vote NO on HB-135.

When you're done contacting your please take a moment to email some of the swing members of the New Hampshire House and tell them to vote NO on HB-135.

Without your input, lawmakers will only hear the SIREN-CALL of billionaire-playboy Mayor Michael Bloomberg who'd love nothing more than to permanently strip your God-given right to self-defense.

Please act today.

Thank You !

I wrote a huge, very well thought out email to ALL the representatives...I emailed it to every single one. I got about 10 replies from Reps who agree and say they'll vote NO (although I plan to check after the vote and make sure they werent full of it...). Only 1 women Rep wrote back to me who disagreed...Gladys Johnsen of Keene. Here is her response to my letter:

"Thank you for writing Mr. . I appreciate the thought that you put into your response.Everything that you say makes good sense, my problem is that we have innocent adults and children who are being killed. Not everyone is as clear thinking as you are. We have to find some answers for our NH citizens.
The way the law was before 2010, worked worked well for three decades, that's why we want to repeal this new piece. Unfortunately, by giving an OK to shoot, rather than trying to escalate the situation, it allows too many crazies to shoot before thinking.
No one is taking your rights away. If you or your family are threatened in your home or on your property, you have the right to shoot, if necessary. But, as you said in your email, common sense folks make reasonable decisions. We have to figure out how to better screen those with serious mental health issues.
I know that what I have written is in discord with your thoughts, but I felt that you deserved a response. I'm sorry that the other gentlemen did not respond. Rep. Vallencourt tries to keep as many folks as possible apprised of House happenings. He has a daily blog and would probably add your name if you asked him too.
Again, thank you for writing. You sound like you would like you would be an excellent representative.

Sincerely, Rep. Gladys Johnsen, Keene"

And my response to her response:

"Gladys,Even though your views clash with mine, I do truly appreciate your response. Too many politicians don't respond it seems - especially when they disagree. And when they do disagree, they tend to "tip-toe" around the issue with me. I appreciate your straight-forwardness.

In regards to your quote: "my problem is that we have innocent adults and children who are being killed. Not everyone is as clear thinking as you are." I can only assume you mean killed by people who were claiming self-defense in a public place, when in fact they could have retreated and spared lives? Of course people - especially children - being killed by a firearm is the most horrific of tragedies...but since we are talking about this Bill specifically, the recent cases of mad-men gunning down innocent people is not a sufficient example.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the way the Bill is now would obviously not protect a crazy psychopath who goes on a shooting-spree...so who are the crazies you are hoping to stop?

I suppose the issue I'm having is that I can't, off the top of my head, think of hearing about any recent cases (since 2010 anyway) when a NH resident has opened fire in a public place (while claiming to defend themselves) when they were not justified to do so? I won't say with certainty that there has been no such case of this happening, as I don't know for sure...however I do plan to do some of my own research now to see if this is happening. Perhaps, being a supporter of the Bill, you can point out such a circumstance?

Another point I take issue with is that you say: "If you or your family are threatened in your home or on your property, you have the right to shoot, if necessary.". Of course I would certainly hope everyone would agree with that statement...but what worries me is you make no mention of me or my family being threatened outside of my home. Is my right to self-defense only applicable in my home? Do I not have a right to defend myself (or whats even more important in my eyes - my family) when I'm in a grocery store? Or a movie theater?

Again, I do truly appreciate your response and I hope if nothing else I would have given you some "food for thought" on the subject. My biggest hope is that my local New Hampshire politicians do not vote on "party lines" and put the "D" or "R" behind their name aside, and vote strictly based on what the people of NH want.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,

And her response to my response:

"Thank you for your response, and I wish you a very good day. I believe I heard that it's Spring. :) Gladys Johnsen"

I guess she had nothing else to say after my second email [thinking]

Feel free to copy/paste and/or reword any part of my email...I put a good bit of thought into it and I hope it puts to words how a lot of us feel.

Last edited:
HB135 has passed the house....everyone PLEASE write your Senators...if it gets through the Senate you can bet our new governor will sign it with a smile on her face.

Back
Top Bottom