Stainless steel shotgun for the boat

I love the idea of a traditional wood stock shotgun. But living on a boat brings some added consideration. Options for a marine shotgun in stainless. My top choices:

Remington 570 Marine Magnum
Mossberg 500 6 shot Mariner

I like the lines of the Remington. But I'd guess the sound of racking any shotgun will make anyone pee their pants!!

Last edited:
Like this older mossberg 500? I got it from a friend who bought it from a guy who was in the coast guard in the 80s. It's a shiny polished stainless finish. From what I understand they're quite rare in this finish. I haven't seen any others for sale. Haven't shot it in years.
View attachment 137111
View attachment 137112

Last edited:
New, neither of those shotguns are stainless. The mossberg is marine coat, the Remington is nickel finish.

- - - Updated - - -

Like this older mossberg 500? I got it from a friend who bought it from a guy who was in the coast guard in the 80s. It's a shiny polished stainless finish. From what I understand they're quite rare in this finish. I haven't seen any others for sale. Haven't shot it in years.
View attachment 137111
View attachment 137112

That looks like polished nickel to be honest. It was likely refinished.

New, neither of those shotguns are stainless. The mossberg is marine coat, the Remington is nickel finish.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like polished nickel to be honest. It was likely refinished.

I don't think this was refinished according to these well known Mossberg experts at Havlinsales.com. I was referred to them by Mossberg when I wanted information on the gun:

Andrew - the finish is Marine Cote - the first year they used it was 1988 and back then it was shiny like stainless steel - it is a teflon-style coating that is rust and water resistant - good for use around salt water and first requested by the Coast Guard, then used on civilian finishes

The newer finishes are more satin and even a dullish gray - much less shine

The coast guard actually did not like the glare - Mossberg has used 3 different suppliers over the years. Just like the old parkerized finish was green/gray, they are now called matte black and the green is gone. And as soon as someone comes up with a fancy for brown, they'll probably do that next!

Cheryl Havlin

Winchester made a pump 1200 model that was high polish steel on both receiver and barrel. Lusting after one for a long time. Saw one for sale at IDC a long time ago at their old location. Hesitated and then went back to buy it but alas someone beat me to it. Regretted it since.

Dakar652 - Basically, you need a boat big enough to sleep on with a head preferably. Then decide if you want fresh or salt water and desired location. Hardest part is finding a slip at a marina of your choice that allows living onboard. If you are talking full time, that's another story. More to consider for that.

Last edited:
I don't think this was refinished according to these well known Mossberg experts at Havlinsales.com. I was referred to them by Mossberg when I wanted information on the gun:

Andrew - the finish is Marine Cote - the first year they used it was 1988 and back then it was shiny like stainless steel - it is a teflon-style coating that is rust and water resistant - good for use around salt water and first requested by the Coast Guard, then used on civilian finishes

The newer finishes are more satin and even a dullish gray - much less shine

The coast guard actually did not like the glare - Mossberg has used 3 different suppliers over the years. Just like the old parkerized finish was green/gray, they are now called matte black and the green is gone. And as soon as someone comes up with a fancy for brown, they'll probably do that next!

Cheryl Havlin

I didn't know marine coat was shiny at one point. That's still not stainless steel however. There have been some stainless shotguns in the past, but it don't know of any current ones being made in stainless.

I didn't know marine coat was shiny at one point. That's still not stainless steel however. There have been some stainless shotguns in the past, but it don't know of any current ones being made in stainless.

I didn't know either until my buddy wanted to sell it. Ya I don't know if it's stainless steel. Sounds like it's a "Teflon style coating" over regular steel?

I had to send it back to Mossberg a couple years ago since it would drop shells every other time I pumped the action. When I gave them the serial number they said, "whoa sir, that's an old shotgun, I can't guarantee it's going to be covered under our warranty". Needless to say I sent it out and they basically replaced all the internals with new parts, including a new "shiny" bolt - don't know if the bolt is stainless but it's shiny like the rest of the gun. Best part, they didn't charge me anything for all of the work. Awesome service from Mossberg.

Last edited:
the mossberg mariner looks cool....never had a reason to go that route but if i had a boat would probably get one.
plus it's a mossberg so if it goes to shit at least your'e not $800 into a shotgun.

I used to see the shiney shotguns at the Powderhorn years ago when I lived down the Cape. Always wanted one, but never bought one then, wish I did. I rarely if ever see them anywhere now, but somewhere like there might be a good spot to look.

Good point.

i dont think the Lochness Monster much gives to the racking of a 12g?

The new Mossberg 500 has a Marinecote finish and Remington has a nickel plated steel receiver, both claim to be Marine quality. I notice that a lot of sellers market them as stainless steel. Buyer beware!

Frankly, marine coat/capable shotguns are such an under discussed/little known topic, the thread had more value than the bitch fest the thread would have devolved into.

I was looking forward to the discussion on its merits and was disappointed. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of how these coatings hold up under maritime conditions? Any coast guard types who are able to comment from experience?

Stainless isn't all that strong. I'd rather have the right coating, stainless fasteners for acceasories, and well lubed and stored.

Thats not entirly true...It would depend on the grade of stainless steel, as to if its strong or weak...
I dont have the time to look it up and post it but there are 25 plus grades of stainless steel with many properties, Strength corrosion resistance etc.

Stainless isn't all that strong. I'd rather have the right coating, stainless fasteners for acceasories, and well lubed and stored.

Benelli Nova H2O, not SS but will survive marine life.
Just got one a few weeks back, really just to survive less-than-ideal storage conditions on land. Everything but the bolt-head is matte nickel-plated, including internals. I mostly got it because I like my regular Nova; no bruising (as long as I remember not to use 3-1/2-inch magnum shells). Nova/Nova H2O parts can be difficult to come by; there are no pistol grips available and the nickel-plated magazine extension (Part #80225) is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom