Spring Turkey 2010

hey guys myself and another buddy want to head out and turkey hunt next week, we have our permits and everything, we are just having one problem..i live in taunton and as it stands right now the only place i know to hunt a turkey is down near sandwhich, this will be our first turkey hunt, any suggestions on a good place to hunt...not asking for anyone to give away their secret spot maybe just a good suggestion...we will be out scouting this week in sandwhich,ma...but i read that farther north in franklin county there are lots of turkeys.....i could really use some ideas, myself and my buddy are not familiar with the area we are in the Army and just recently stationed here, thanks for your help

Go to the Foxboro or Wrentham state forests. Bout 20min. south on 495 :)

In the spring season you can't kill a hen in any zone, not just zone 11.

he said bearded bird, you can kill bearded hens during the spring. Bag limit: (a) 2 bearded birds in spring season (1 per day) with NO fall bird allowed, OR (b) 1 bearded bird in spring season, and 1 bird of either sex in fall season. No hunter may take 2 birds in the fall season.

from word of mouth they only ask if you consider not shooting if you know its a hen with a beard but if you want to you can shoot them and register them.

there are people who will bash you for shooting a bearded hen, or even a Jake.... IVE shot my fair share of toms and I was ounce new to hunting and turkey hunting. point me in there direction, I can give them something to bash. one year turkey hunting I shot a Big Tom he was the biggest tom to be put on that check in station list. my friend had Jake’s busting him all season LOL and the last day a bird with a 6inch wisk walked out and bang he came running to the house to show me that thing, it was a big bearded hen.. really I don't see why anyone would pop someone’s bubble over it. that hen meant more to him than that big tom meant to me.

Last edited:
Congrats T-town assassin. I ended up with nothing today. Any tips / places to share with the someone who hasn't filled a tag in the last 2 years? I can send a PM if need be

Congrats T-town assassin. I ended up with nothing today. Any tips / places to share with the someone who hasn't filled a tag in the last 2 years? I can send a PM if need be

This bird was luck...I spent all day calling from a blind with out any luck. I decided to go for a walk to where a buddy of mine said he heard a few gobbles while he was waiting for me to pack up and meet up with him. We didn't have any luck with that either,so we went back to pick up his stuff to head home. He and I were walking down the trail and the Tom decided to walk down the hill to our right about 50 yrds in front of us and 100 yrds away from the truck. As I went to shoulder the gun the turkey looked at me and darted out to a trail the he had popped out in front of. I hit a box call I had and he just froze and started to strut. I didn't have a clear shot at him so I went around to get behind him as my buddy called from where he had jumped down in front of us. As I walked down the trail I noticed something red move to my left and about 10 yrds away there he was walking back towards me so I took the shot and dropped him. The trail the tom popped out in front of and walked down was the same trail I had walked down with my buddy 15min earlier.

First turkey season for me second day out and got one. 18 lbs, 1/2 spurs, top of head is white, 4.5 inch beard

I am hunting by myself and 2 weeks ago I didn't even have a call.

91dad17f.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom