Spearfishing

Any other divers out there into spearfishing? I am hoping to do some of this. What are the laws around spearguns in Mass.? I've looked around online and can't find much.

I got my pneumatic spear gun 2 years ago but I have not yet found a chance to use it. Here in mass you can not speer fish stripers. I heard you can in Rhode island. If you plan something I can definetly come along. I always wanted to do this.

I liken spear fishing to chumming for shark, and jumping in..[shocked]
Swimming with bloody fish doesn't appeal to me..

Yeah, that's pretty much what I see them do when I dive, lol.

Was diving in RI and saw a guy with a spear gun with a 15' range, and the visibility in the water was about 10 feet. Somebody isn't too bright.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I see them do when I dive, lol.

Was diving in RI and saw a guy with a spear gun with a 15' range, and the visibility in the water was about 10 feet. Somebody isn't too bright.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you only shoot bullets that go 50 feet 100 yards? The reason he seemed over gunned to you is that if you are shooting big Stripers, RI its legal, you need a spear gun with enough power to propel a shaft heavy enough to totally penetrate a big fish. range is nice but penetration is critical- like a lot of things[wink]. I have bounced a spear off of the gill plates on Tautog as well as Stripers before from fairly close range. I used to freedive a lot and competed(SP?) in the 91 nationals in RI, I have shot 90+% of all fish way under 15 feet. More like 10.

Back
Top Bottom