SP vs SPM primer swap?

walter62

NES Member
New to reloading (9mm 115g plated, Ram Silhouette, min load).

I can find SP Magnum and all of the videos & other readings indicate that the Magnums can be used
but of course work your way up from minimums.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVRGsoOr6k

and others

My question is what is the collected NES experience and advice regarding using SPM primers on 9mm?

They work and I see no meaningful difference in FPS when the only variable is regular vs magnum primers. Theoretically they provide a stronger spark and are a bit thicker, but in reality I have not seen this making any difference in my pistols.

I say carry on.

I bought SPM primers by mistake once. Loaded a few hundred before I noticed my error. They were fine, still have all my digits. Enjoy.

I have been loading magnums in 9mm and 40 without issue due to scarce supply and usually load about halfway between the min and max.
They run fine and I also have not seen a difference.
Also used the small rifle without issues in pistol loads that ran fine in all my pistols except for the S&W MP9MM (light strikes on some)
I have had poor results with light strike test as well with magnum rifle primers in wheel guns.

Last edited:
Too add in, I recently loaded a bunch of 9mm with magnum small rifle primers and shot them with my p365 and all 100 rounds fired just fine.

Fps and POI was the same as using SPP or regular SRP too.

I'm good on Small Pistol Primers probably thru 2021. But I have a ton of Federal Small Rifle that I may consider using for 9MM when I have to. The debate has gone on for a long time. Consensus being 'OMG Never do that' to "It's no big deal'. This test shown above is the most in depth test I've seen:

And another:

I'm good on Small Pistol Primers probably thru 2021. But I have a ton of Federal Small Rifle that I may consider using for 9MM when I have to. The debate has gone on for a long time. Consensus being 'OMG Never do that' to "It's no big deal'. This test shown above is the most in depth test I've seen:

And another:

They can be harder to ignite if you have lighter springs in your gun etc. But aside from that they’re essentially interchangeable - well you still want to work up loads and not load at max charge weights

They can be harder to ignite if you have lighter springs in your gun etc. But aside from that they’re essentially interchangeable - well you still want to work up loads and not load at max charge weights
+1 on this. Magnum primers have a slightly thicker cup for handling higher pressures. If you have a striker fired semi you could have light primer strikes. Hammer fired won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom