SP 101/.357 mag-vs-S&W 360

I am thinking about picking up another .357 mag and I was looking on the smaller side. Two models that I am interested in are the sp101 or s&w 360. I want something that I can keep for the long haul, to be used for summer carry, ankle backup, and home defense. I already know about the obvious differences,...weight, materials, and price, but still really having a tough time making a decision. I have already owned and sold a Ruger GP100 and I loved it and miss it, but before I go buy another one, I figured to look into snubbies. Could any owners or knowledgable people of these firearms please leave comments on your experiences with these. Thanks, Anthony

I have a 2.25" Ruger SP101 and a S&W Model 340 that appears to be fairly comparable to the 360 (the 340 has a shrouded hammer). The SP101 and the 340 are two very different guns.

For my taste, the Ruger wins in all categories other than weight. It is fun to shoot, even in .357 mag. The trigger, while not great, is much improved after a little polishing in the right places. The gun feels very solid. It is small, but at 25oz is twice as heavy as the 340/360. I find that I rarely carry the SP101, favoring the Walther PPK in the summer, and the Sig P239 when concealment is easier.

At 12oz empty the 340 is easy to carry. The trigger in my 340 is stiff (likely not helped by a lack of shooting it), and the light weight of the gun makes a steady trigger pull more of a challenge than for the Ruger. The 340 is brutal to shoot, and .357 mag feels like catching 100mph fastballs barehanded. While the SP101 is a blast for plinking, shooting plates, etc, the 340 is a "carry rarely, shoot less" sort of gun for me -- probably the gun I would be most likely to sell if I could bring myself to sell a gun.

I would take the 360 if I were looking for a pocket carry piece where weight was a huge factor (but take a look at the 340 for this purpose). Otherwise, for an all-around great revolver, go for the SP101.

Last edited:
They're really not the best to compare with each other. A S&W steel snubbie .357 might be up your alley.

Minor quibble - the 340 is hammerless, not a shrouded hammer. You cannot fire the 340 single-action.

I own a 360PD, and I'll echo the sentiment about it being pretty brutal when firing .357 Magnum rounds. I've had more than one person hand it back to me after shooting exactly TWO shots from it because of the harsh recoil.

The SP101 is a fine, fine gun, but when you take into account that it weighs as much as a scandium-framed 1911, it's just too heavy for what it is. If you want a good gun for plinking, get a 4" barreled 686 or GP100. If you want something for concealed carry, get a Smith & Wesson.

There's also the option of shooting .38 special +P or +P+ through the 360, which tames the recoil down to manageable levels. I've found that the Federal .38 Special +P+ packs a good punch but doesn't destroy the wrist.

As far as hammerless vs. hammer, that's an individual choice. Personally, I'd like to have both - the hammerless model is ideal for pocket carry, but the hammer is nice for securing the gun in an ankle holster.

-You couldn't PAY me to carry the SP101 in an ankle holster. Would be like hauling around a boat anchor...

Compaing an SP101 and a 360 is comparing apples and oranges. What about the S&W 60/640/649 steel frame snubs? They still weigh less then the SP101 and carry a little better. I have a model 60 with a bobbed hammer and I pocket carry it a lot. It is manageable even with full power .357's.

I have a lightweight 342 in .38 special and it is a bitch to shoot with +p's. I don't know how anyone shoots the lightweight .357's. Either that or check with Roundgunshooter about ported barrels. I consider him to be the resident expert when it comes to snubby's.

Last edited:
Do you have to carry it on your ankle? I have an SP101 with the 3" barrel and I love it! I only carry it behind the hip, though. In my limited experience I've found the Ruger to be more accurate than S&W revolvers, probably because of the weight. Ankle holsters are too hard to get to in a pinch and pockets are there for other things than guns (in my opinion). Why not get an SP101 with a 3" barrel and carry it behind your hip? I think it's weight and solid feel are the best features of that gun!

OK, I know that it is hard to compare these two models, but I am going with what I have seen and/or handled in a store. Both of these models caught my eye. I have owned a Ruger before and loved it. I like the cylinder release better on the SP 101. Another feature that both models have is the ejector rod covered by the extra steel of the barrel. I have been to Ruger's and S&W's website many of times, and these two models are my fav's. I am just trying to do as much research as I can before I buy. Also I will probably shoot more .357's then .38's. I like the big boom. If I want lighter recoil then I will shoot my 9mm. I realize that nobody can pick what firearm would suit who best, so on a more tech note can anyone give insight to materials used? Even though the S&W is made with Scandium alloy and Titanium, strong but light, Would the weight of it, under stress of repeated .357mag's be more likely to strain the performance of the firearm then the extra steel of the Ruger?

Do you have to carry it on your ankle? I have an SP101 with the 3" barrel and I love it! I only carry it behind the hip, though. In my limited experience I've found the Ruger to be more accurate than S&W revolvers, probably because of the weight. Ankle holsters are too hard to get to in a pinch and pockets are there for other things than guns (in my opinion). Why not get an SP101 with a 3" barrel and carry it behind your hip? I think it's weight and solid feel are the best features of that gun!

I would just like to have something small enough with a big boom to carry when I couldn't carry my full size auto's. Hence pocket or ankle carry.

If the metal on the S&W starts to fatigue, S&W's lifetime warranty should have you covered. I wouldn't worry about it being able to take the punishment, it is designed for full time .357 use unlike the older S&Ws like the 66.

I have a 640 .357 and a airweight 442.

I like the 640 best as its weight handles most recoil, and I have the option of .38 or .357. In a good pocket holster and with a good gunbelt, it carries well in a pocket, though better on the belt.

The 442 is lighter, more comfortable to carry, without the power range.

I like the stainless finish of the 640.

The Rugers are great dependable guns, but a bit too heavy for my taste, except in a holster.

I have a S&W model 60 3" and love it, great carry gun but probably not for ankle carry. Like others have said the ruger compares better to the steel S&W snubbies and not the lightweight ones. But I think anyone you chose will last forever.

For carry, I would opt for the lighter S&W. You may never have to shoot it, but it has to be there if you need it. I find myself leaving the heavier guns at home because they are uncomfortable to carry. You are more likely to have the easily carried gun on you when you need it. If you do really need the gun, you won't notice the extra recoil.

As a disclaimer, I have many S&Ws (more than 2/3rds of my handguns) and love their products. My carry-whenever-i'm-in-NH CCW gun is the 638.

I would go with the 360. No doubt that full power .357s will be tough to handle, but the light weight of the gun makes it a much more practical daily carry option. I also think S&Ws have smoother actions than Rugers.

I picked up a 360 from a forum member a few months ago. Shooting full boat .357 was actually painful. I'm not a small guy, and usually have no problem with recoil, but this thing was difficult to say the least. I sold it to another forum member and hope he has better luck with it. The SP101 is easier to shoot well but as noted, is heavier to carry. You have to decide which is more significant. If the carry weight does not bother you, go with the Ruger and save some $$$. Otherwise go with the 360 and you'll be amazed with how lightweight it is, and what a firebreather it is to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom