Somewhat sickening Luger story

I'll put it another way: two LEOs, on duty, lowballing newly-bereaved widows for their husband's bringbacks? And y'all are surprised I might have an ethical problem with that? If that happened in Arlington, and the Herald got all pissy about it, NES would be full of comments about cops and dogs again.

Reading the title of the thread I figured the gun ended up destroyed. This story turned out to be a happy one. Old lady with plenty of money and not a care in the world if her late husband's P.08 is destroyed? I would not feel bad for giving her a fraction of what the gun is worth. If she were poor as piss, that's a different story.

Reading the title of the thread I figured the gun ended up destroyed. This story turned out to be a happy one. Old lady with plenty of money and not a care in the world if her late husband's P.08 is destroyed? I would not feel bad for giving her a fraction of what the gun is worth. If she were poor as piss, that's a different story.

I whole-heartedly agree.

These firearms meant nothing whatsoever to her.

And it seems whether she received $200 or $20,000, her lifestyle would not be affected in the least.

Some relics were saved by persons who appreciate them.

Happy Ending.

(However, if no pics arrive I will change my mind [wink] )

I yelled at my buddy for his lack of ethics. I'm the first to snap up a bargain, but I'm not sure I could knowingly take a $1200 discount from an old lady, especially if the only reason I'm in a position to do so is because I'm on the job. In fairness, he claims he told her what a bad deal she was getting (I've got no reason to doubt him on that). He says he had trouble even getting her to take the $200.

I hung up the phone and threw up a little in my mouth.

If she's an old crusty anti gun bitch, **** her. The guns were going to get destroyed anyways, obviously the money was of no concern to her. This isn't some lady whose selling her husbands guns to help supplement her limited income or something like that.

This is a clear case of don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

-Mike

I'll put it another way: two LEOs, on duty, lowballing newly-bereaved widows for their husband's bringbacks? And y'all are surprised I might have an ethical problem with that? If that happened in Arlington, and the Herald got all pissy about it, NES would be full of comments about cops and dogs again.

I'm having trouble reconciling the bolded part with your original story. It sounded like they told her that they were worth much more and she didn't care. How is it low-balling if she's refusing to accept the money?

The fact that she sold the guns instead of turning them in to be destroyed should give her a PLUS in anyone's book.

GOD BLESS HER !

I'm having trouble reconciling the bolded part with your original story. It sounded like they told her that they were worth much more and she didn't care. How is it low-balling if she's refusing to accept the money?

She had no idea; they suggested the price first. I'd think that if I found a Luger and somebody asked me to make an offer, I wouldn't start at $200. He felt "a little guilty" (his words) when she accepted, which was when he told her it was worth more.

It's inappropriate for on-duty officers to be engaging in this type of conduct. I'm glad the guns were saved, but I have some ethical issues with this.

It's inappropriate for on-duty officers to be engaging in this type of conduct. I'm glad the guns were saved, but I have some ethical issues with this.

That is 100% true, and in my haste to post underwear gnome humor, I failed to note.

Back
Top Bottom