• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some things make me wanna cry

SKS Ray

NES Member
You just have to be in the right place at the right time. I have gotten a few. I worked at a gun shop for a year or so cleaning guns and got some good deals from there( this is in the past 2 or 3 years). I got a SVT-40 for $175, SPAS-12 for $375, Polish TT-33 for $85, Mosin Nagant M38 with SA markings for $25 (they only captured 3000 of them), Street Sweeper new in the box for $625. You just have to know what you are looking at and know the value of them because sometimes they don't know. Keep hunting they are out there. I have also paid to much for some of my gun because I didn't know what they were worth.

Sounds like a seperate thread in the making.[smile] For the record... best deals I ever got was a mint unfired K98 SVW for free, a Swiss K11 for $160, and a Finn M91 Mosin Sest. for $100.

Buy the best examples that you can afford of the guns that you like.
Even though the prices seem high today, ten years from now they'll be a bargain.
I skipped a few pizzas and beers to buy my unissued Garand for $153 in 1985.
The Colt MK4 Series 70 govt model that I paid $250 for in 1979 seems like a helluva deal now.
The only regrets I have are the hundreds of nice guns that I've SOLD in the last 40 years!

Talk about getting your collection off to a kick ass start! Reading this post on the Parallax forums just made me wanna cry. http://p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm14.showMessage?topicID=9940.topic
I should be happy for the guy because I wish I could have such good fortune. But this is where I wish someone would point me in the direction of a Snopes article proving this story wrong simply because I didn't find these cheap buys.[crying]

It's offset by the fact that the guy seems to live in CA. So for dealing/copin
with their god awful gun laws there, he should be rewarded with truckloads
of cheap milsurps. [grin] If one is going to reside in communist purgatory,
one might as well have a few decent rifles!

-Mike

My best deals have been done by constantly visiting the local gun shops 3 to 4 times a week to stay intouch with whats being traded in or turned in by older collectors. Its really time consuming and costly gas wise but the deals can be really awesome. I would pic a few weeks a month and do this. I found FN49's for under $300 and an svt 40 tokarev for $300 plus more this way. We just have to move quickly and carry the cash too. Its tough sometimes when i can't buy it all. I passed on p14's and p17's but i got the more expensive stuff. The bottomline is we have to stay looking all the time. The search is the best part of doing this its the most fun.

I don't know how you guys do it but i sit and make a wish list that i think someday i will find them. Then i make a list of guns i think i will never find nor see in person. Its funny that sometimes the ones i think i'll never see or find will show up. I found a swede CG M96 all matching numbers/even the wood with range plate and i thought finding one was rare as hens teeth and its in excellent condition too. I have only seen pics of this stuff.
Later i found a '95 chilean 7mm mauser in the same condition too with matching bolt/numbers and even the wood matches too. Finding a chilean 7mm mauser with just matching bolt numbers is rare. If we stay looking we have to get lucky sometime.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom